• Register
  • Help

Topic: I have no choice- a stupid ribbon controller question

Share/Bookmark

I have no choice- a stupid ribbon controller question

I'm thinking of getting a ribbon controller such as the Doepfer R2m for a more realistic vibrato on solo strings etc. But I have a question about the way these things behave with pitch once you lift a finger off the controller.

After all these years, the only time I remember being around any sort of ribbon controller was some old Moog add on thing back in the 70's. Must've been with a Minimoog or Polymoog or other early animal.

As I remember, if I lifted my finger off the ribbon at any arbitrary point, THAT was where the pitch rested ..and if I immediately hit a key on the keyboard attached to the ribbon, the note would now trigger incorrectly because of where I lifted off the ribbon.

Is that the way these things work? If I'm assigning a ribbon to pitch (as opposed to vibrato), do I have to figure out where my finger was when I first touched the ribbon...and then make sure I get back to that spot before lifting off the ribbon in order for the pitch to remain correct as I continue playing?

I'm not getting the concept. I'm sure this is a simple issue but I just called the Doepfer distributor here in S. California and he wasn't sure how that works either.

Re: I have no choice- a stupid ribbon controller question

Yes, thats the way the doepfer ribbon controller works.
    I do'nt have problem with that issue.

I painted some little dots on the ribbon.
    One in the middle, and one for each halftone, depending on the programming.
    I used a simple guitar tuner to find these positions.
    You still have the pitchwheel for a quick reset.

I like the way the ribbon responds, beacause you can make two ways of vibrato:
    Sliding your finger on the ribbon, or tipping intervals like a guitar hammer on.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Quote Originally Posted by mirage
    As I remember, if I lifted my finger off the ribbon at any arbitrary point, THAT was where the pitch rested ..and if I immediately hit a key on the keyboard attached to the ribbon, the note would now trigger incorrectly because of where I lifted off the ribbon.
    Same problem here... I tried out Chris Horns library by loading a program into Kontakt 2 and assigning my Yamaha AN1x Ribbon to pitch. Unfortunately the pitch won't get set back automatically when you lift your finger. But there must be a way to program this ... I'll get deeper into this stuff as soon as I have more time. Btw: does the Kurzweil Ribbon controller behaves the same way?

Cheers,
    Ulrich

This is possible. Just adjust your R2M in a way that the touch sensor controls e.g. the modulation CC and reset the pitch value to the middle position (8192) when the modulation value reaches zero (what is the case when the finger releases the ribbon). Beside that you can make your instrument more expressive by evaluating the modulation parameter (or any other CC if you already use modulation for something else).

Greetings,
    NothanUmber

Go Back to forum