• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample developer abuse? Opinions please

Share/Bookmark

Sample developer abuse? Opinions please

as an honest home-musician that pay for everything that uses I would like to claim against companies that abuse of their clients.

After buying some time ago some e-lab ignition series plug-ins i found that they had discontinued its plug-ins, now they´re called equippedmusic.

Ok i understand that is an company issue but i would like to think about it:

This plug in comes with near 4 Gb of loops that only can be used inside its plugín( the same concept as Stylus RMX or many new Orchestral libraries)

When i bought this plug-in i don´t only bought the plug-in but also the licence to use the 4Gb sounds that comes with it. Now that is discontinued some bugs are appearing ( and it will be worst in the future)
    So in a near future i couldn´t use neither the plug-in ¡¡¡neither its loops¡¡¡¡. And in fact now i can use it only with some limitations in my workflow.

I think once a company decide to discontinue that kind of products they ought to make that sounds accesibles to registered users and legitimate owners without that limitations.

equippedmusic web page don´t have any contact information, i can´t contact them so i decided to claim here.

In my opinion Equipped music has stolen my money, i acquired the right to use that samples because i payed for that rights.

I would like to know your opinions( also the developer´s opinion) because now that a lot of libraries comes with its own plug-ins this will be a real problem for a lot of us in a future (god save open Plattforms).

Regards

Re: Sample developer abuse? Opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by sanna
    as an honest home-musician that pay for everything that uses I would like to claim against companies that abuse of their clients.

After buying some time ago some e-lab ignition series plug-ins i found that they had discontinued its plug-ins, now they´re called equippedmusic.

Ok i understand that is an company issue but i would like to think about it:

This plug in comes with near 4 Gb of loops that only can be used inside its plugín( the same concept as Stylus RMX or many new Orchestral libraries)

When i bought this plug-in i don´t only bought the plug-in but also the licence to use the 4Gb sounds that comes with it. Now that is discontinued some bugs are appearing ( and it will be worst in the future)
    So in a near future i couldn´t use neither the plug-in ¡¡¡neither its loops¡¡¡¡. And in fact now i can use it only with some limitations in my workflow.

I think once a company decide to discontinue that kind of products they ought to make that sounds accesibles to registered users and legitimate owners without that limitations.

equippedmusic web page don´t have any contact information, i can´t contact them so i decided to claim here.

In my opinion Equipped music has stolen my money, i acquired the right to use that samples because i payed for that rights.

I would like to know your opinions( also the developer´s opinion) because now that a lot of libraries comes with its own plug-ins this will be a real problem for a lot of us in a future (god save open Plattforms).

Regards
    Sanna,
    I've just had a look at the equippedmusic site in the FAQ section.

There is an update for Obsession and Foundation instruments.
    Is this the 'plugin' you speak of?
    I also note they make it clear they're not going to support older elab stuff, rightly or wrongly.

Here's the bottom paragraph from the FAQ.

In 2005 Equipped Music acquired all rights to e-LAB. Equipped Music & Publishing AB today owns all e-LAB sounds, software, trademarks, etc - but do NOT handle any sales, distribution or support of old e-LAB products. This technically means e-LAB as an independent company do no longer exists, but it could of course possibly appear in the future as a “sub label” under the Equipped Music flag.

Regards,

Alex.

I understand that you're angry, but unfortunately you can't do much legaly
    when a company stops its business and restart under a different name.
    I've found an email address, maybe you can contac them this way and ask
    for support.
    The email address is trade@equippedmusic.se

Hope this helps.

Tom

Sanna, thinking about this, and trying to see a way out for you, I wonder if it's worth contacting the team at ChickenSys (they have a section here on the forum), and consider translating the samples into a format for something else. I have no idea if they can, but in your current situation, anything's worth at least asking about.

Regards,

Alex.

Thanks for the replys.

Anyway i don´t intend to init any legal action or so, also i know there is an update in the web page. What i´m trying is to show houw much unprotected are the users agaist this kind of practises.

Even when the company has been bougth by another one the reality is that the user has paid for somethig, and the company should garantee to the user that he is going to been able to use the sounds even whe they stop the plug in development. one way to do this would be to send a program to legal users to unprotect or traslate the samles to a universal format.

.- One thing is the plug-in: the technology advance and all of us assume that one program that works today can´t work tomorrow.

.- But another thing are the samples, they are just sound in the form of data, and they would be freely used, on any program if this werent for copy protection policies. ( i stilll use old roland or emu libraries thnaks to chickensys). The problem are the copy protection.

Companies have the right to protect their products but they should assume that they can´t broke an licence ageement unilaterally, just because they don´t want to invest more money in the development of the plug-in.

Companies have the rigth to protect their products and to abandon any development in the moment they want, but users also have the right to use the sounds even when the plug in becomes obsolete. When you buy Quantum leap Orchestra what are you buying a reduced version of Kontakt or the ability to use all that maravellous sounds on your compositions?

Regards

An unfortunate situation, and one which Bruce R has been warning about since the day people started locking wav files away in virtual romplers.

Now it's here - 4gb of samples paid for which could become inaccessable due to something as likely and unavoidable as an OS upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick
    An unfortunate situation, and one which Bruce R has been warning about since the day people started locking wav files away in virtual romplers.

Now it's here - 4gb of samples paid for which could become inaccessable due to something as likely and unavoidable as an OS upgrade.
    It's not just romplers. All software which uses challenge/response protection is liable to similar risks. What if, for instance, Tascam were to collapse, and you then had to rebuild one of your Gigamachines because the RAM gave up the ghost. Suddenly your backup registration doesn't work, and there's nobody to give you a new code.

I think Sanna is right. Part of adopting challenge/response copy protection - or locking samples into a potentially buggy rompler - ought to be contingency plans to provide unrestricted versions to the whole user database in the event of collapse or buy-out. Of course the company buying the rights to a product may object, but I think if they are buying just to kill a competitor, and refuse to support the product, then I don't give a stuff how they feel.

Volko-Audio (http://www.volko.biz/products.php?L=EN) are the only company I've seen making this promise so far. I'm sure more developers could be persuaded to adopt a similar policy if they were spoken to reasonably.

Go Back to forum