• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Woodwind Quintet Number Six" - Larry Alexander

Share/Bookmark

"Woodwind Quintet Number Six" - Larry Alexander

Everyone,

This is my "Woodwind Quintet Number Six". Please give it your full attention because I consider it to be one of my 'major' works.

The flute, oboe, horn and bassoon are GPO. The Bb clarinet is from the Garritan Jazz and Big Band sample library.

It is in three uninterrupted movements and I hope that it brings a tad of pleasure to you.

Best regards to all,

LGA

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/larr...dQuintet06.mp3
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Woodwind Quintet Number Six" - Larry Alexander

Well done, Larry. Well done!

These woodwind pieces lately are some of your best work, surely.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Well done, Larry. Well done!

These woodwind pieces lately are some of your best work, surely.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks, Dave, thanks. I try hard, Lord I do.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Wow, Larry; this one is hard to digest... I mean that in a good way. The first thing I noticed was your creativity with cadences; using well refined instrumentation. The flow and pace is excellent; never a dull moment. I hear mostly late classical and every once in a while some modern progressions or tone colour. You have many different sections that blend very nicely. If I had anything even remotely negative to say it would be the tempo. I hear the time changes but the tempo stays closely the same. This, however, may be your intention; I apologize if I missed that. Also, the flute seems to be the driving force for the main melodies for most of the piece. Would like to hear some of your wonderful melodies in other voices. Overall, this is outstanding. Is there more? To have the skill, drive, and patience to write like this is mind-boggling... you remind me of the old masters.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Michael,

Yes, there is much more. I have written around thirty wind quintets, plus many wind trios and quartets.

I thank you for listening and for your nice review.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Cor Blimey Guv! 13.5 meg download! The trouble & strife said she thought it was Norwegian.

'Ere Guvnor? - some interesting modulations going on there - you're not going funny in yer old age are ya?

Seriously Larry - very clever writing. What a web you weave. I would just add one thing. Is there any way (just to humour my taste now and again) you can give it a bit more reverb and space? If not - no worries.

Paul

Sorry about the file size. Not much I can do about that.

The trouble & strife said she thought it was Norwegian.

I have no idea what that means. Is 'trouble and strife' rhyming Cockney slang for 'wife'?

Is there any way (just to humour my taste now and again) you can give it a bit more reverb and space?

Yes.

Thank you, Old Teabag, for listening.

Sincerefully yours,

Old Man Larry

Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry,

You are right - the cadences are very well done. Such a nice detail. Really liked the shifts in and out of major and minor. They were seamless, and to use an odd word, effortless; that is, they felt very natural. I suspect, though, that this piece is harder to play than it sounds, especially the first movement. The rhythmic interplay of the voices is quite clever, but would need skilled performers. That's not a criticsm; it's just that something that sounds so easy and flowing will require a lot of co-ordinated work.

Nice job! Glad to see you are keeping yourself out of trouble

Ron

Ronald McPearl,

We are blessed to have a lot of remarkable instrumentalists here in this city. The East Texas Symphony Orchestra is a first-class organization. I have no doubt that I could garner a group to play this composition and they would do it well.

Thanks for listening to this and giving your review.

My best,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Wow, quite a quintet here! I enjoyed it very much... great woodwind writing as usual! And there is great variety in the rhythm and counterpoint. It's LGA to the extreme! Great work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast