• Register
  • Help

Topic: Be careful with your Mac

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Be careful with your Mac

Re: Be careful with your Mac

"Installing and running the worm requires users to go through several stages and this, along with bugs in Leap-A's code, have led security firms to play down the threat it poses."

With Windows all you have to do is place the computer close to a network and it will be contaminated. With Mac you have to go through several stages to install the virus yourself. I don't feel threatened yet.

Actually, by just reading this post on my PC, I think it now has the virus

Peace

rik

Quote Originally Posted by janila
    With Mac you have to go through several stages to install the virus yourself. I don't feel threatened yet.
    True, but we Mac users aren't immune to this problem. I think this is possibly somebody "testing the waters" so to speak. As Apple continues to position itself better in the marketplace we will probably see this scenario more often.

The point is that there will never be a defense if you install a program that does damage. Unpacking an unknown compressed file is always a very poor idea, of course.

This is different from the Mac viruses in the late '80s that infected programs and started doing stuff. (Remember nVir? Your computer would say "don't panic" in a Stephen Hawking voice all the time.)

There is no doubt that when Mac land become MacIntel land there are likely to be many people falling foul of viruses. I have read that OSX is actually less secure than XP and that as many hackers understand the Windows system much better than the Mac it would be very easy to port a virus.
    Unfortunately in the long run I would imagine that Mac users will have to start running anti-virus software in the same way that Windows users currently do.

D

The thing is, hackers love a challenge. I don't know why they haven't aggressively targeted the Mac previous to this. (Not that I wish that on you guys, far from it!) The Mac OS is more secure then Windows by orders of magnitude, no doubt about it. (Well, that's my understanding, the above post notwithstanding. it may indeed be all a numbers game) But normally that would be like waving a red flag to a bull where virus creators are concerned. You guys are lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    The thing is, hackers love a challenge. I don't know why they haven't aggressively targeted the Mac previous to this. (Not that I wish that on you guys, far from it!) The Mac OS is more secure then Windows by orders of magnitude, no doubt about it. (Well, that's my understanding, the above post notwithstanding. it may indeed be all a numbers game) But normally that would be like waving a red flag to a bull where virus creators are concerned. You guys are lucky.
    Some interesting reading, even allowing for potential author bias.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1915923,00.asp

D

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    The thing is, hackers love a challenge. I don't know why they haven't aggressively targeted the Mac previous to this. (Not that I wish that on you guys, far from it!) The Mac OS is more secure then Windows by orders of magnitude, no doubt about it.
    Not sure about the more secure bit. Could be - but it's probably more to do with nowhere near as many PC users - so not really worth the time. These people are ~~~~ing sick anyway and I would like to practice my baseball swing on them for fun.

Go Back to forum