• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Opus 1

Share/Bookmark

Opus 1

I'm pretty much decided that in the next few months I'm going to upgrade my RAM and hard drive space and invest in Opus 1. I've just bought Gigastudio 3 and Sonar 5 and am happy with both (Gigapulse is great isn't it!?).

What I was wondering was, does anyone have any links to pieces they have composed using only Opus 1? I've listened to the pieces on the VSL site and am impressed. However, I get the feeling these were made by "experts". I basically want to hear what composers (like me) who don't consider themselves that computer savvy have managed to come up with using the samples.

I want to be reassured that it is fairly user friendly and hear for myself.

Thanks
    Rob

Re: Opus 1

The VSL demos are somewhat clean in a way that they try to convey the actual sound of the library. Opus 1 can sound a lot bigger and also smaller if needed. It's a great library and even better with Opus 2.

Doesn't anybody have any Opus 1 pieces I can hear?

Quote Originally Posted by rob1984
    Doesn't anybody have any Opus 1 pieces I can hear?
    These two by Anton were done a while ago using Opus 1.

http://vsl.co.at/en-us/67/3848/4027.vsl#

Thanks Paul, for some reason I couldn't access the user demos on the VSL site, but this direct link works even if the link on their site doesn't.

Mmm, they really sound good. Very passable as Hollywood action game music.

Rob,
    These should fit the bill. All are somewhat incomplete sounding (because they are , and thus, may help you get a real world kind of impression.

Please note: The opus strings are WAY better than they sound at the end of "chase"....I didn't have time to tweak that part before deadline, and never went back after.

Njoy!

War
    Careful-starts really quiet-suddenly loud!

Love Theme
    Very short-more like the ending should be, if I ever write the rest.

Chase
    Only time I've used the repetition patches. Result is satisfactory to me, but you decide.

Belbin
    Last edited by belbin; 02-18-2006 at 09:26 AM. Reason: warnings

Would't it be a good idea to get Opus 1 ''and'' 2, if only for the sus. loop artc. that seem to be missing in Opus 1, not to mention the flautendo arct., the strings fast repetitions, ect...?

I know that's what i did, + it's not that mutch more expensice.

I'm right here?...Just curius to have your opinions.
    Last edited by geronimo001; 02-18-2006 at 10:07 AM. Reason: mistake again

Thanks Paul, for some reason I couldn't access the user demos on the VSL site, but this direct link works even if the link on their site doesn't.
    Did you use the menu on the second row at the top of the page? (you might need to have javascript activated)
    The links to the left points to the same page. I think this is really unintuitive and wrote so in the VSL forum, but it seems they haven't changed it yet.

I'm pretty much decided that in the next few months I'm going to upgrade my RAM and hard drive space and invest in Opus 1. I've just bought Gigastudio 3 and Sonar 5 and am happy with both (Gigapulse is great isn't it!?).

What I was wondering was, does anyone have any links to pieces they have composed using only Opus 1? I've listened to the pieces on the VSL site and am impressed. However, I get the feeling these were made by "experts". I basically want to hear what composers (like me) who don't consider themselves that computer savvy have managed to come up with using the samples.

I want to be reassured that it is fairly user friendly and hear for myself.

Thanks
    Rob
    I had a review copy of Opus 1 which I compared to Pro Edition. The sound is the same quality. If anything, I found Opus 1 a little more flexible to use. Buying Opus 1 is a good decision. You're not making a mistake.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Go Back to forum