• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: They are BEAUTIFUL!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up They are BEAUTIFUL!

Received the full scores I ordered from Dover today. There they were ... all boxed up and with no one to open and gaze at their beautiful black and white pages.
    Yeah ...
    *Camille Saint-Saens, The Carnival of The Animals
    *Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky, Romeo And Juliet Overture and Capriccio Italien
    *Kikolay Rimsky -Korsakov, Scheherazade - (My personal favorite!)
    and last but not least ...
    * Gustav Holst, The Planets. (I wonder if the Daily Planet is in there? )

I just love sitting at the pianie and playing through all the parts, dunt you Lucy!
    Me happy!

Let's rock!

Re: They are BEAUTIFUL!

That's funny, I just ordered the same Tchaikovsky meself!
    Great score. I was going to do a mockup of it but am working on the 1812 now.

Aren't new scores so much fun?

-Chris

I got Tchaikovsky's 4th, 5th and 6th symphonies for Christmas... it's sweeet. Tchaikovsky's orchestration is da bomb.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Tchaikovsky's orchestration is da bomb.
    1812 in particular

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Aren't new scores so much fun? -Chris
    Especially FULL scores!

Talking Re: They are BEAUTIFUL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Hey, Styxx, check out the Full Score of Stravinsky's "The Firebird." Yikes!

It'll put to rest forever any doubts that one of your own scores is unplayable.

Ernavinsky
    Firebird? Take a look at the Rite of Spring!
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Especially FULL scores!
    Those half scores really leave you hanging...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by GDG
    Firebird? Take a look at the Rite of Spring!
    Even though Rites is more dissonant I always thought Petrouchka was the most difficult to play of the three. It looks really intense in score form.

This takes me back - WAY BACK

In my teen years, before I really became serious about orchestral / classical music I was just a REALLY big fan of it. I was kind of like Sean, in the sense that I really loved Mozart. I had that movie "Amadeus" memorized, and listened as much as I could. (Sean, that is why I groan all the time when you quote it.) he he.
    My favorite piece was the "Requiem".

I was in my Junior year in HS when I discovered that you could actually BUY the scores to these larger symphonic and choral works! (up till then, my exposure to symphonic music was in piano reductions and "easy" arrangements of the themes).

My first full score was the Dover edition of Mozart's Requiem.

I remember getting it in the mail and treating it like it was some klnd of REALLY rare and valuable thing. I carried it with me in my book back and practically everywhere else I went. My friend (California surfer who was also a composer)said, "Dude, its just a score!"
    But for me it was so cool.
    I must have read that thing a thousand times. I used to listen to Peter Schreier's recording (phillips - HIGHLY recommended - the recording is extremely clear in the engineering and you can hear every nuance - there is a SUPERB balance of voices and orchestra - serioulsy folks, this is the best Requiem recordings I have ever heard).

It was my first lesson in orchestration. I listened and read along and made notes in that score. I analyzed instrumental textures and how Mozart treated the text.

After that, I couldn't get enough of studying full scores. And since Dover editions were very inexpensive compared to many other publishers, I preferred them. At first, I bought scores to pieces I already loved and knew well. (I collected 12 different editions and versions of Handel's Messiah. Ranging from the dover version, which is close to Handel's original version, to a German version with Mozart's added orchestration, to a version with a full organ accompaniment) But then I started to get scores I was not so familar with. I tried to find recordings of the pieces so I could really learn and enjoy. I have a whole bookcase of scores I have bought over the years. I analyze them all, make notes, and draw orchestrational inspiration from them. It is one of my musical hobbies. My wife loves to read murder mystery novels, I love to read full scores.

This kind of study has been one of the best lessons on orchestration / instrumentation I have ever experienced. Careful and attentive study can yield insights that will do ANYONE well.

Styxx. I am happy for you. ENJOY!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by diegom
    1812 in particular
    I'm begining to learn that as I progress on the 1812. Very interesting, and quite effective. Learning a lot! Too much fun...

Jerry, my first score was the Dover Handel's Water Music and Royal Fireworks. (Very interesting cover design, btw.) Back then I didn't know enough about orchestration and music and stuff (I was in 7th grade) so I wasn't able to analize it as I could today. I got it for my birthday hoping to be able to throw together a string quartet together at school and perform it for the small enseamble concert. The only other time I'd heard the Water Music was in a string quartet. But I was just fascinated even more, learned about transpositions, the different characters of the isntruments and how they blended, then the chord structure came in, eventually here I am, still learning more and more.

BTW: did I mention how FUN scores are?

-Chris

Go Back to forum