• Register
  • Help

Topic: Copyright protection

Share/Bookmark

Copyright protection

I noticed some people post entire songs while other post excerpts. Is there any fear of having your material stolen or used without permission? I guess that's a risk of putting anything on the internet. I was just wondering how others dealt with the topic (hope this it's ok to post this here). Thanks!

Re: Copyright protection

Don, you might want to post a very interesting topic like this over in General Discussion -- I think it would get much more attention and comment there.

Copyright is a broad and complex subject, which I'm sure is of much interest to all in the forum.

Best,

David.

I have yet to have any problems with work being stolen or something so I feel pretty safe...

Technically an original piece of music is copyright from the moment you write it. However, if someone has stolen your work and you want to sue them, you'll need to have proof you wrote it first, and the most secure way (if you live in the US at least) is to register the copyright. See http://www.copyright.gov/

I regularly register copyrights, so I feel extra safe.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Don, you might want to post a very interesting topic like this over in General Discussion -- I think it would get much more attention and comment there.

Copyright is a broad and complex subject, which I'm sure is of much interest to all in the forum.

Best,

David.
    You are right. I'm sorry I should have posted this there. So, if your're reading this and wish to respond, please go to the general discussion board. Thanks, Don.

Go Back to forum