• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Spectrasonics

Share/Bookmark

Spectrasonics

I've been a long time and very dedicated user of Spectrasonics sample libraries like Symphony of Voices, Hans Zimmer Guitars, Distorted Reality series, and all of the virtual instrument plugins and Sage Xpanders. I love them all and really admire Eric Persing and his team. I don't know where I'd be without them all these years as they've really helped me fulfill my goals.

One thing that really jumps out when listening to the sample libraries, instruments samples from the plugins, or the demo mp3's at the Spectrasonics web site, is how clean and "hot" the audio is. It's fantastic. I remember in one of the RMX videos Eric Persing mentions he likes the signal to be nice and hot. As someone who is always looking to improve audio quality I'm wondering if anyone knows what the folks at Spectrasonics use to process their audio? I'm sure there is a myriad of gear, but I sense there is some common type of compressor, eq, limiter, that eventually all the Spectrasonics-based audio is processed through. As someone who is looking to invest wisely in some audio equipment and wants to improve my overall sound, I'm looking to various artists who have a sound I like and Eric happens to be one of them. It would be great if someone from Spectrasonics was willing to talk a little more about what's being used there. I hope this isn't asking too much. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to pry into "secret" information. I simply enjoy everything about Spectrasonics.

Re: Spectrasonics

Eric is a regular here at NS, just drop him an email/forummail.
    See http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...hp?userid=2267
    for his profile.
    He's a nice guy, I'm sure he'll answer your questions if possible.

Tom

Glad you're enjoying our stuff...thanks for all the kind words! :-)

We do use a ton of different audio devices - both hardware and software - in our work, but our standards in sound quality have more to do with consistent and highly tuned monitoring environments and attention to signal paths than any particular piece of gear.

Most people vastly underestimate how critically important a great monitoring environment is.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Glad you're enjoying our stuff...thanks for all the kind words! :-)

We do use a ton of different audio devices - both hardware and software - in our work, but our standards in sound quality have more to do with consistent and highly tuned monitoring environments and attention to signal paths than any particular piece of gear.

Most people vastly underestimate how critically important a great monitoring environment is.

Can somebody dumb this down for me?

Don't use bad speakers. Dumb enough?

He's saying a lot of the reason Spectrasonics stuff sounds so good is that their studios are well set up with good monitoring (amps, speakers and a good sounding room) and clean signal paths (good wiring and quality preamps and mixer stuff.)

So they can hear what they're doing really well and consequently make sure sounds are good.

- Mike Greene

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    I'm a student and very eager to learn. Any advice and/or information on how to obtain a great monitoring environment? In fact I recently purchased the "Cliff Sound Check 2 Audio Test CD" though dont know quite how to use it yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    I'm a student and very eager to learn. Any advice and/or information on how to obtain a great monitoring environment?
    Graduate, get some work and start saving for an acoustically treated space. Most modern monitors do rather well in a proper room but none of them will help if your room is terrible. That's the problem for most people myself included. I have spent thousands of Euros for professional monitors but my room has both neighbours and acoustic problems. That's why I end up doing a lot of work with headphones. You don't have proper acoustics if you aren't 100% certain that you do. You are 100% certain when you have paid for professional design and build quality for your room.

GIGO (garbage in / garbage out). If you start with crap you will end up with better crap. Good monitor speakers @ unity (I use Tannoy), Auralex (installed properly - www.auralex.com), excellent quality cables (as short as possible) and make sure your noise ceiling is as low as humanly possible (turn off or shut down volumes to all sound making gear and then turn up your mixer / sound recording source to maximum gain - whatever noise you hear is your noise floor. No reflections (windows, shiny surfaces) if possible. Excellent hardware (I use all optical), pro software and a good set of ears (I also use headphones after mixing to make sure things sound good - those too are at unity, so they are much more expensive than off the shelf headphones). Know a thing or two about frequencies, EQ and signal flow, don't overdo anything (especially FX) and always walk away for a while and then come back and listen again to see if you like what you mixed. Fresh ears help a lot!

The old adage works as well - mixdown your project and then play it in the crappiest single speaker boombox you can find - if it sounds good there it will sound good anywhere.

Mike

Those are all good techniques and ideas mentioned.

Your mixes and audio are only as good as your room acoustics. We've been fortunate enough to have some of the best acousticians tune our control rooms and that's a key ingredient in a great audio environment to develop in.

I rely on my room and my monitors almost as much as rely on my ears. :-)

Go Back to forum