• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Real Strings demo.

Share/Bookmark

Real Strings demo.

Hi guys!

I'm relatively new at northernsounds. I would like to say i'm really learning a LOT of things with you guys! Either about businees, sample libraries, or engineering...It's really a pleasure have you all here! I'm leaving my studio owner/engineer/arranger career to start working with composition ,and this contact with you is being really important to increase my knowleadge about the business AND music. Thanks to all!

I'm working on many orchestral pieces (with sample libraries) to put in my site. I would like your feedback about it when done...

But, for while i would like to post an arrangement i did for a small strings sections, recorded for an artist in Brasil, IT'S NOT MIXED YET, but it's reasonable to listen...

http://mp3download.myspace.com/index...n&fid=49770532

It's not a kind of "modern" soundtrack music, but i thought to add some orchestral instruments to the strings to make it more "big orchestra" demo...

Could you all give me some comments please?

Thanks!

P.S You can go at http://www.myspace.com/jacquesmathias3 if the link above doesn't work. The name of the piece is "Zumbi".

Re: Real Strings demo.

The musicality of this piece is wonderful. Very impressive and thanks for sharing.

It also goes to show us all how 'far' we have yet to go with sample strings - as far as evolving tone, expression, etc.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Thumbs up Re: Real Strings demo.

"I'm leaving my studio owner/engineer/arranger career to start working with composition..."

Yes, quit your day job!

That piece is wonderful! Great stuff! Very expressive! I don't want to make suggestions on how you can make this sound more "big orchestra", because I think it sounds great as is. I just wanted to tell you that your piece was very inspiring.

Can you share how many players per section you recorded, and if you did any overdubs to make it sound bigger?

Keep up the good work!

Very cool. It must be nice to use a real string section.Can you talk a bit about that session and how long/costs etc.I'm very interested in the nuts and bolts of it all. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by artsoundz
    Very cool. It must be nice to use a real string section.Can you talk a bit about that session and how long/costs etc.I'm very interested in the nuts and bolts of it all. Thanks!
    That makes two of us that would be curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    The musicality of this piece is wonderful. Very impressive and thanks for sharing.

It also goes to show us all how 'far' we have yet to go with sample strings - as far as evolving tone, expression, etc.

Rob
    Thanks Rob!

Yeah. I also feel that disapointment with strings sample libraries...They are all very recorded, work well done, but the capability of to express through them isn´t as good as could be...Who knows? Future is coming...

Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Malo
    "I'm leaving my studio owner/engineer/arranger career to start working with composition..."

Yes, quit your day job!

That piece is wonderful! Great stuff! Very expressive! I don't want to make suggestions on how you can make this sound more "big orchestra", because I think it sounds great as is. I just wanted to tell you that your piece was very inspiring.

Can you share how many players per section you recorded, and if you did any overdubs to make it sound bigger?

Keep up the good work!

Hey thanks man!
    I think that after many years working with boring things i´m going to change my life... Yeah! That recording was a exception in 8 years...

I always love to write to strings. Always. I had a closed contact with classical music playing nylon acoustic guitar, but i wanted to play violin... But i´m from a small city in Brasil, and believe me there wasn´t any violin teacher in my infancy there...but ok, i can write to. hehe

It was recorded for an artist i was producing here. That piece was a free introduction he gave me to write. I´ve used :

1st - 4 players
    2st - 4 players
    Violas- 2 players
    Cellos- 2 players
    Bass - 1 player

A picture:
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...6A3A8B15183284

We´ve overdubed it just one time. So 8-8-4-4-2. In that particular recording i was a bit nervous, so i completely forgot to make sure the engineer were doing everything ok. So he has chosed to overdub just the far mics, not the closed... And i really like to do everything i can to edit after. If i can record all the mics again, that´s ok, let´s record...but he...

Thanks!

Best!

artsoundz and RiffWraith , thanks for listening!

Well, i believe the costs obviously change hugely in diferent countries.
    It was a nice studio, we´ve recorded in a Pro Tools TMD system instead of tape 2" , it was made 4 years ago...The musicians had a quick contact with the piece, actualy we have rehearsed through 30-45 minutes before to record. Like we´ve recorded 3 pieces, with lots of passages - this is just one of them - i took 8-9 hours to record everything fine and overdubed.
    I´m not sure about the hour costs in others countries, you can check it out.
    Like we had 13 musicians, each of them has charged U$ 320 , so U$4160 for all of them plus the studio cost. Ok, i CAN find more cheapers musicians here, but not with the same nivel and musicality. I have no idea if it can be considered cheaper or not in other places like EUA...Please could you all give me some feedback about it ?

Thanks!

Cheers!

What a wonderful sound and composition as well.

Wow - that sounds great! Great composition, and great sound quality.

But, you do know what the first few notes sound like, right? This is by no means a knock, but a simple FYI - same as I would expect anyone to do with me if I wrote something that sounded like something else...

Cheers.

Go Back to forum