• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Best way to go from one Giga PC to two?

Share/Bookmark

Best way to go from one Giga PC to two?

Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to add a second dedicated Gigastudio PC to my setup. (Both would be driven by a Mac running Logic.) I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.

The "naive approach" seems to be:

-Buy an additional PC with its own soundcard and hard drives
    -Purchase a new Giga3 license and install Giga3 on the second machine
    -Get a KVM switchbox to allow PC's to share monitor, mouse, and keyboard
    -Copy all sample libraries to new machine's hard drives

I'm curious if there are alternate or better approaches. Could Giga Teleport be used in lieu of a soundcard? Is the GVI a lower-cost alternative to buying a second GigaStudio license? Are there any other hard- or software technologies that could be used to better integrate the two machines?

If there are any FAQs on this subject, I'd welcome pointers to them. Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike

Re: Best way to go from one Giga PC to two?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeShapiro
    Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to add a second dedicated Gigastudio PC to my setup. (Both would be driven by a Mac running Logic.) I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.

The "naive approach" seems to be:

-Buy an additional PC with its own soundcard and hard drives
    -Purchase a new Giga3 license and install Giga3 on the second machine
    -Get a KVM switchbox to allow PC's to share monitor, mouse, and keyboard
    -Copy all sample libraries to new machine's hard drives

I'm curious if there are alternate or better approaches. Could Giga Teleport be used in lieu of a soundcard? Is the GVI a lower-cost alternative to buying a second GigaStudio license? Are there any other hard- or software technologies that could be used to better integrate the two machines?

If there are any FAQs on this subject, I'd welcome pointers to them. Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike
    1) Agreed
    2) Get a site licence if you can; it will save money.
    3) Agreed
    4) Agreed

GigaTeleport is no use to you at the moment as you are using a Mac for sequencing. If you were all PC there are various possibilities, but most of them are not cross-platform. However MOL could be of use, as it would save the cost of buying additional MIDI interfaces.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    1) Agreed
    2) Get a site licence if you can; it will save money.
    3) Agreed
    4) Agreed

GigaTeleport is no use to you at the moment as you are using a Mac for sequencing. If you were all PC there are various possibilities, but most of them are not cross-platform. However MOL could be of use, as it would save the cost of buying additional MIDI interfaces.

D
    Thank you for the response.

Are there any Mac analogues for GigaTeleport? Perhaps <a href="http://plasq.com/wormhole">Wormhole</a>?

A couple of my friends tried Wormhole but gave up and went back to hardware, so I can't be of any help. I know that there is a Mac version of FX-Teleport in the works, but it has been in development for so long that I doubt that it will see the light of day before MacIntel is fully established.

D

Hi Mike,

I'd be interested to hear what PC setup you end up going for. I too have a dedicated PC right now (DP4 on Mac) and would like to eventually add another.

My first PC is a Sonica System w/ Dakota card. Of course, prices are always coming down. Not sure what I want right now though.

-MK

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    A couple of my friends tried Wormhole but gave up and went back to hardware, so I can't be of any help. I know that there is a Mac version of FX-Teleport in the works, but it has been in development for so long that I doubt that it will see the light of day before MacIntel is fully established.

D
    A new version of Wormhole was released recently, so I wonder if I won't have a better experience than your friend. In any event, I'm going to give the demo a try. I'm sure a lot of cross-platform Logic/Giga users would appreciate having an audio-over-IP solution, so it seems that a good product along these lines is inevitable.

The only thing I'd at least try to change is your number 3. Use Remote Desktop to control you Giga machines and you won't need to get that KVM switch. There is even a Remote Desktop client for Mac so you could actually control all machines from your sequencing machine if you'd like.

/Mattias

Be aware that you need WinXP Pro on the machine that sends its desktop to your main machine - or is it the other way around? Or you can install other 3rd party remote desktop stuff.

Personally, I like to keep it simple. I use a KVM. I can boot one machine or the other without dependencies, and there are no software hassles to worry about and no extra processor load.

The main reason I would go with Remote Desktop would be to move the machines out of the audio space. KVM cables are only so long...

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    There is even a Remote Desktop client for Mac so you could actually control all machines from your sequencing machine if you'd like.
    Now you tell me! :-)

That's the single greatest piece of information I've ever heard.

I downoaded it. Took all of 30 seconds to configure. Works perfectly.

Altough i have a dual input display for giga/2nd mac screen (VGA) part of my reluctance to upgrade my 2nd screen to DVI was that I didn't want to deal with a DVI swithcer... this is better - in that I only have to deal with a single keyboard and mouse -- this is like having virtual PC, but a real smokin PC!

What a great thing! Why has this been hidden to me all these years?

I'm still blown away that i can do this! Thank YOU!!!!!!!

Does the Remote Desktop or any other VNC type software cause any strain on the system at all? I am considering using Radmin software. Is the MS Remote Desltop option better?

Go Back to forum