• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL opus1 violins - tone experiment...thing....

Share/Bookmark

VSL opus1 violins - tone experiment...thing....

Hey guys, I wanted to hear your opinions on this very brief mockup I did:

original - "Silence" from Shadow of the Colossus

mockup with my severely edited violins, and not-really-edited-yet cellos

Basically I've always felt that the performance legato violins had such a beautiful tone on certain intervals, but were sometimes kinda unwieldy to work with, and had a completely different (and IMO less attractive) timbre for the onset notes. Same thing with the sustains, since they're basically the same samples as the perfleg onsets anyways. So eventually I got the idea to take out my favorite-sounding interval group from the perfleg, loop the samples, and make a new patch with it. I then layered it with crossfaded sustains/attacks/releases, and used the modwheel to control a wide EQ boost up high for more realistic dynamics.

The result is catered to only one specific kind of expression/articulation, but perhaps this is the way to go for string patches - strings are so dynamic and have so many "moods" that to say just "SUSTAIN.." seems kind of limiting and ultimately unevocative. On the other hand, the saving grace of VSL though is that it has so many takes, you can piece things together however you want - it gives you the legos and lets you build the castle yourself.

Thoughts/suggestions?
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Re: VSL opus1 violins - tone experiment...thing....

that's very nice, i´m a vsl fan!! i use and approved!!

on this saturday i made something using the Gold Library and Gold Xp i don´t like the sound!! http://rapidshare.de/files/13042753/Michael_Machado_The_Last_Hero.mp3.html

i´ll try this on my VSL

Will,

Excellent! You should post this over on the VSL forum too.

Best,
    Jay

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Nicely detailed parts, Will. You move the energy well; the expression is very grounded and intense.

Will-- I'd love to test out that patch. I wonder if you'd be willing to let VSL host your edited instrument on the registered user section of their site. Of course, I understand if you want to keep these to yourself.

Best,
    Jay

Glad you guys liked it, I'm flattered! I'm happy to share specifics on how I did it, but I don't really know how sharing the patch itself would work - it takes isolated samples from several different patches, and the ones I snatched from the legato had to be looped so they're edited at the sample level.

So aside from sending around a 173mb monolith file, I'm just not sure it's feasible. Bummer...but again, I'm definitely willing to share specifics on how I pieced it together if people are willing. I can make a step-by-step post tomorrow or something if there's still interest.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Will Roget
    I can make a step-by-step post tomorrow or something if there's still interest.
    I'm sure that many, myself included, would appreciate it.

Nice work!

To me they both sound great...

Will,
    I also love this sound, and would take interest in trying it out. If you are a Giga user it would be easy to say which patches are there, and have an art file hosted. Then opus users could arrange it themselves w/o any sample level editing (loop points are part of an art file, arent' they?)

Belbin

A very creepy, unsettling piece.....not something I'd want to listen to by myself on a dark night.

A great emulation though....excellent.

Frank

Go Back to forum