• Register
  • Help

Topic: Falls, doits, and shakes

Share/Bookmark

Falls, doits, and shakes

This one is probably for Tom, but everyone's opinion is welcome:

Firstly trumpet falls and doits - these are a great effect to have and they sound good, BUT in my opinion they are too quiet in comparison to the main note. I find that I have to increase the mod wheel at the end of a note with a doit or fall to hear the effect at an appropriate volume. Is this personal taste? or would an increase in the volume of these effects in the programming be an idea for a future update?

Secondly shakes - I understand how Tom has approached this subject, and a reasonable result can be obtained, but this requires a lot of micro-editing of midi data. I am approaching this from a playability point of view and would ask whether it is possible in the programming to have controls similar to those for vibrato - i.e. have a speed control and a width control, but instead of oscillating above and below the note, the effect would oscillate from the note upwards and then back to the note, also the width control would need to be wider than that for vibrato.

These are just uneducated/inexperienced suggestions - I am not criticising the JABB programming at all, just offering up user suggestions
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Falls, doits, and shakes

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    This one is probably for Tom, but everyone's opinion is welcome:

Firstly trumpet falls and doits - these are a great effect to have and they sound good, BUT in my opinion they are too quiet in comparison to the main note. I find that I have to increase the mod wheel at the end of a note with a doit or fall to hear the effect at an appropriate volume. Is this personal taste? or would an increase in the volume of these effects in the programming be an idea for a future update?
    One of the updates under consideration is a level control for the release effects. There's a downside: No default level can be set by me if I do that (that's why it wasn't done in the first place.) It would become necessary for the user to always put level data into the tracks for the release effects - no exceptions. My tests showed that not all situations called for the same setting for release effect levels so, in the absence of level control, I chose a level that was a compromise until a better solution could be found. Too much release effect was worse than too little and, as you say, it can be adjusted with carefully drawn mod wheel data. By the way, the update increased the average level of the release effects a modest amount over the original settings.

Secondly shakes - I understand how Tom has approached this subject, and a reasonable result can be obtained, but this requires a lot of micro-editing of midi data. I am approaching this from a playability point of view and would ask whether it is possible in the programming to have controls similar to those for vibrato - i.e. have a speed control and a width control, but instead of oscillating above and below the note, the effect would oscillate from the note upwards and then back to the note, also the width control would need to be wider than that for vibrato.
    As I've stated elsewhere, the programming for the shakes has future scripting in mind. Scripting and also some other midi-manipulating options have the potential for handling the micro-tweaking automatically. As an interim step, the second part of the shakes tutorial will include a group of pre-configured midi files that the user can cut and paste as needed, thus greatly reducing the need to micro-tweak.

An approach similar to the one you are proposing was attempted but I was not pleased with the results because the many small aspects of the sound which need to be manipulated for a successful result were not accessible in this type of programming.

Tom

Re: Falls, doits, and shakes

Thanks for the response Tom - I'd forgotten about the shake scripting that you had previously mentioned, sorry!

It sounds like you have it all in hand - no surprises there!

Thanks.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Go Back to forum