• Register
  • Help

Topic: Oddball Instrumentals

Share/Bookmark

Oddball Instrumentals

Hi all. I'm testing the NS waters to see if these oddball tunes are appropriate for this forum. They're not film scores or classical. They are midi arrangements with the exception of acoustic guitars on 'Schmendrick'. The samples are from many libs;
    Chronic Horns, Ross Garfield Drums, Roland Strings, SampleCell lib & many others. The Tango is all Midi and unfortunately overly compressed - brain fart on my part.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=472776&T=7672
    Cheers,
    Rabdaddy
    PCaudioLabs DAW - Win XP Home SP2 - Athlon 64 X2 4400+ - 2G - A8V Deluxe Mobo - 80gb EIDE (OS) - 80gb SATA (audio) - 320gb SATA Raid 0 (samples) - Tascam FW1804 - Cubase SX3 - Twin 23" Dell S2309W Displays - Tranzport
    Rabdaddy Studio website

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Oddball Instrumentals

I love both of those little tunes. The tango gives me a big smile...it's reminds me simultaneously of the music from "Waking Life," with a dose of Thad and Mel every now and then in those laid back horn sections. Nice production, and cool mix tricks on the Tango. Schmendrick starts a little stiff for me, but it starts to fall into its groove past the top and I like where it ends up. A little Thad and Mel halftime horn-sound in there, too.

Nice.

Re: Oddball Instrumentals

Very nice. Really strong writing. What is particualrly cool is -The libraries you mentioned are quite "old" and you made them work very well. I'm inspired. Thank you! P.S. uh....that reverse sample end or sweep-whatever that was- that seemed a little odd. Almost seemed like a client input or something that belonged w/ pic. Slightly out of place?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

There are some other non-documentary type mix tricks in there, too. But I think I have a response to that ending as well. That one does seem a little indulgent, because it comes out of nowhere and isn't a part of the entire tune's language.

I like the album TNT by Tortoise. One reason is the way they move in and out of a very live/documentary kind of production value. At times they're almost subversively moving from electronica to acoustic jazzy instrumental, to musique concrete, and purposefully blurring those lines to stay ahead of the listener. You never quite know what part is being through-played versus those which are weaving in. And in the reverse, where something will sound very acoustic, and you begin to realize after a while you're listening to very long loops, and there's a superstructure being built. What you assumed was the sound of the rhythm section becomes a tiny component of another rhythm section.

I think this kind of music would be very fertile ground for some of that type of production and development.

Banned

god i love that tango

very good work.

Oops, Didn't mean to upload that version. Fixed now.
    Thank you all so much for your kind words. I quess this venue is swell for all types for music. Wonderful.
    Love & Kisses,
    Rabdaddy
    PCaudioLabs DAW - Win XP Home SP2 - Athlon 64 X2 4400+ - 2G - A8V Deluxe Mobo - 80gb EIDE (OS) - 80gb SATA (audio) - 320gb SATA Raid 0 (samples) - Tascam FW1804 - Cubase SX3 - Twin 23" Dell S2309W Displays - Tranzport
    Rabdaddy Studio website

Very nice writing, and to get that quality with those libs is pretty amazing. Schmendrick reminded me of some Mancini stuff, quite catchy and playable.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Nice to hear. The Tango just moves along and the second one has a wonderful New York Mancini feel about it - almost like it wouldn't have been out of place in The Odd Couple.

Great and thanks.

Thanks. Bruce, for the heads up on TNT. I've been listening to the mp3's at various sites.Very intriguing and since i'm a vibes player-very cool. However, don't you think they need to cut at 80hz or so? Very boomy overall. But a cool band. Almost borders on that jam band thing but full of fresh stuff. Thanks.

Go Back to forum