• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Muse Receptor

Share/Bookmark

Muse Receptor

Does this not seem like the coolest thing ever? As soon as I can scrape together 2K, I'm planning on taking advantage of East West's Receptor bundled with Colossus. Personally, I cannot wait to dispense with my PCs.

Anyone have a Receptor yet? Is it a great as I've been lead to believe?

-MK

Re: Muse Receptor

I can't offer you any insight, but I too have gazed at the Receptor/Colossus bundle from afar, my soul wracked with longing and envy...

But I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend a significant chunk of change on any computer-like hardware right now, as we seem to be on the cusp of Vista, and- more importantly- the emergence of 64 bit architecture. My hope is that after all of this shakes out, we'll be able to run many, many memory-eating samples and CPU-intensive sonic effects on a single machine without constantly fretting over system resources.

And I'm not smart enough to have a sense of how the Muse might fit in with all of this. Maybe some of the tech gurus around here will chime in with their thoughts.

Regards,

Michael

I've had one since shortly after they came out. Mostly I use it for live performance. While it is true that it will not always run the latest and greatest VST's as hardware progresses - It does alot for me now, running
    Scarbee electric pianos in Kontakt , Native Instruments B4, M-Tron and more.
    If you don't look at it as a PC, and instead look at it as a piece of highly configurable hardware, it makes more sense. While it is true that there is
    a processor inside, that is true of any digital keyboard/module.

I really think there are significant benefits over a PC though, even for studio use. Right now I'm bogging down my mac with a bunch of VSTs. To be able to move those to a dedicated piece of hardware that come standard with digital outs, a big hard drive and 1000 plus ram seems optimal. (Assuming that the Receptor doesn't suffer from those nasty PC OS bugs.)

Looking at the pcs on the maket which are built for audio and have sound cards (like Dakota or RME) preinstalled, seems likes there's a substantial savings by going with a dedicated piece of hardware like the Muse.

I sound like I'm tyring to talk myself into this! As much as I love my giga pc w/ dakota/montana, it was expensive.

-MK

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    You don't need a seperate audio card for a VST rack farm. Use a gig ethernet cable to network the comp to your DAW, and a hub switch for keyboard/monitor/mouse. I assure you that you can build a much better PC with faster everything for cheaper.

I guess you have to ask yourself how much you're willing to pay for their OS since the hardware components leave a LOT to be desired.

Anyhow, I'm gonna sit this thread out at this point. Gear lust is gear lust and I have nothing to gain by arguing the point.
    Thanks for the tip. The VST rack farm is a bit new to me - a lot different than having a dedicated sampler. I'll check it out.

I guess you have to ask yourself how much you're willing to pay for their OS since the hardware components leave a LOT to be desired.
    I think that's exactly right. A modern, custom audio PC is big money, that's for sure, but you also get a hell of a lot more muscle than you get with the Muse, which is built around the somewhat antiquated Athlon XP 2600+ CPU. With the Muse, you get portability, a rugged chassis and a streamlined OS. It's perfect for live performance, and it's the best option I've seen in that regard. For a studio machine, though, you can build a superior PC for the same amount of money.

They don't work with some VSTi so be careful if you get one. For example VSL VI is not supported, nor is anything else that runs with a Synchrosoft dongle.

D

Anytime, if you need some pointers I'll be happy to try to help.

Sorry, I'm just feeling a lil burnt on this because the last time I brought up these points I got ripped a new one. I figured I'd kinda get the same here.

Yay for being wrong.
    Hey, valid points are always welcome in my book. And I'll take you up on your offer too! As far as extra hardware/software needed to make a pc into a vst rack, what do you suggest?

Thanks neo,

MK

I've not really followed the Receptor, but what happens when the hard drive crashes? Which it will...because ...it's a hard drive.

Does one cancel all his/her gigs while shipping the thing back for repair?

Actually the one thing that a PC can't do that Receptor can is boot up in 4 seconds....!

D

Go Back to forum