• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB Stutter and Pop

Share/Bookmark

JABB Stutter and Pop

Hi all,

I just installed JABB and it sounds great. However, I seem to be getting a lot of clicks and pops and stutters. I turned of DFD and have a Mac Dual G4 1.25 ghz with 1.5 gigs of ram.

Here is a link to give you an idea of what I am hearing...

http://www.andybrick.com/projects/other/cupsdry.mp3

Thanks for all your help everyone!!

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Re: JABB Stutter and Pop

Have you tried using the "lite" instruments? All G4's are beneath the recommended specs. The "lite" instruments help out a lot.

Jeff

Hi Andy,

The J&BB library takes up considerably more resources than GPO. Because of all the performance nuances with Jazz, a great deal of additional performance controls were necessary. This requires more computer resources. I think the problem has to do with the speed of the processor. There are workarounds such as using the "lite" instruments as Jeff suggested (in the latest update) and freeezing tracks that may help.

Gary

You know, I had the same problem until I updated the drivers on my PreSonus FirePod. Maybe update the drivers on your soundcard? Yes? No? Maybe? Yes?

Hi Jeff, Gary & Styx,

Thanks much for the suggestions. I tried updating the drivers but heard no difference. Ill try the lite instruments. All I really need is straight forward cup mutes for now. Ugghhh looks like its time for a new computer!!

Andy

Andy, I'm in the same fix as you. I've tried all the workarounds, but am just going to get a new Mac. Even the current G5s are somewhat limited. I'm going to try and hold out to see how the new Intel driven Macs flesh out in the coming months. I don't know what I'd do, however, if I had a real deadline to meet.

Karl

Andy and Karl,

I've been a longtime Mac user, running Digital Performer as my DAW of choice, I also run Altiverb on this machine.

Over the past few years I have also slowly introduced PC's into my studio environment, finding them with the windows XP system to be very, very reliable (actually less hassle than my Mac's over the past couple of years).

I have managed to get by with just my Dual 1 GHz Quicksilver for the past few years. How? I run the sample lib's on the Pc'S, either on the hardwired studio PC, or the laptop. GPO, Stylus RMX, EWQLSO, GS3, they all run on the PC's, ADAT lightpipe brings the audio into the Mac, and MOL takes care of the inter computer midi. Plus, the Kontakt instruments seem to run about twice as efficiently on PC. V-Stack is a very economical and popular VST host for PC.

You might want to consider this as a very proven, workable and less costly alternative to upgrading the Mac, or as a delaying tactic.

Trond

Hey Karl,

Yep, Im in a similar dilema. Im working on a pretty high profile feature film and need cup mutes for the demos. I dont mind the idea of upgrading but by the time I receive the new computer and get it setup, the deadline for this score will be past.

Its crazy, a month ago I sent a producer my demo tracks for some new orchestral music for Sonic the Hedgehog. The demo was a playback straight from Finale using nothing but GPO. It sounded pretty good and everyone was happy. I was in heaven and my dreams of having a REAL scoring program that could actually do decent midi mockups seemed to be coming true. I had visions of a glorious harmony between producers and composers and saw a world in which the composer and the orchestrator once again were one and the same person.

Alas, I was younger then...

LOL I guess we have to balance the state of the art of sampling libraries with the state of the art of computer power.

Onward!

Andy

Trond...

You just sent me into the land of epiphany! Sometimes the obvious is the most beautiful! I have 5 PCs here in my studio that I use for gigastudio. Of course it makes total sense to try the library on one of those. The most recent machine is only about a year old and has some good specs. Maybe Ill have more luck with that!

Am I correct that if I am triggering Giga on the PC via DP on the Mac that I should be able to just load JABB on the PC and trigger it? The audio card for that PC hasnt changed and the midi routing hasnt changed. If its that easy, Im back in biz!!! Whoo hoo!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Brick
    Am I correct that if I am triggering Giga on the PC via DP on the Mac that I should be able to just load JABB on the PC and trigger it? The audio card for that PC hasnt changed and the midi routing hasnt changed. If its that easy, Im back in biz!!! Whoo hoo!
    Andy
    Hi, Andy.

My studio is all PC with no Macs, but I do use GS and GPO/JABB and your assessment should be on target. Your PC will respond to the triggering the same whether it's running GS or JABB. MIDI is MIDI. If your sound card output is already routed, you're good to go. Just fire up JABB on one of your PCs and meet that deadline!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum