• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Abbe and the Demon, 1st Mvt

Share/Bookmark

The Abbe and the Demon, 1st Mvt

This is the first movement of a work for violin and piano. I wrote it a few years ago, just uploaded an mp3 made using GPO. It took me longer to upload than to compose. There was a problem with the router at my ISP. It was not a problem except to me, mainly because it affected only uploading, and most people are only concerned with downloads.

Someday I will tweak the articulations, and maybe show more articulations in the score. But not today.

Quite lively and spirited.

The Abbe and the Demon (1st Mvt)

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=42926

The link will lead to three choices.

At the top, you will see a blue button to play the mp3.

Just below that, you will see the score, if you have the Scorch plugin. Otherwise, a blank where the score ought to be. Here you can view the score and listen to the Scorch playback (GM), not a good sound, usually.

Below this, under the heading of details, you will see a choice to download the mp3 file, which is the best choice if you want to hear, and don't have broadband. .

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 02-14-2006 at 02:32 AM. Reason: corrected bad link

Re: The Abbe and the Demon, 1st Mvt

Hi Richard

The link you provided leads to a stranger's music, not quite your calibre !! Perhaps check it again .
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Hi Richard

The link you provided leads to a stranger's music, not quite your calibre !! Perhaps check it again .
    Thank, Louis. The link is corrected. The last digit was missing.

Richard

This piece is quite abstract, but i can feel the tension that theres some demon there or something haha..

Another truly interesting piece, Richard. Listened through this several times, fascinating... but then, there's always something about your pieces that resonates with the way I think.

I'd agree perhaps a bit more work with articulations would be warranted, both in the piano and the violin, to bring up and clarify the rhythmic emphasis in some areas.

I'd love to hear this live or on the G/Strad -- there's some real meat in that violin part that could really shine.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Do you consider this piano part performable by humans? At that tempo?

Frankly, this one left me a little cold, sorry. There are some interesting places, but no sense of phrase through most of it. Doesn't breathe. It could just be the realization of it, but I see no markings in the music either. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

I liked it a lot. I'm into this kind of style of abstractness. Nice writing!

The piano is certainly possible to perform. Seems very doable at that speed as well.

-Cata
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by Dargason
    Do you consider this piano part performable by humans? At that tempo?

The piano part is doable enough; mostly, not all that difficult, really -- other than a couple of wide shots (measure 16 for instance) where a fast roll on the chord would be needed for the reach... fairly routine.

Some of the fingering's a little tricky in places, and it would take a bit of endurance -- but the writing isn't unreasonable for an able pianist.

The technique in modern work like this is rather different than playing the classics, though, as it requires far more wrist-lift and outright arm work. Since that largely eliminates the possibility of more than rudimentary attention to phrasing, you frequently will see little of it in scores of this kind.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Richard,
    Very enjoyable and well written piece. I liked the variety of thematic material and manner in which you developed it. Your music always has an unstoppable energy. Well done.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    The piano part is doable enough; mostly, not all that difficult, really -- other than a couple of wide shots (measure 16 for instance) where a fast roll on the chord would be needed for the reach... fairly routine.

Some of the fingering's a little tricky in places, and it would take a bit of endurance -- but the writing isn't unreasonable for an able pianist.

The technique in modern work like this is rather different than playing the classics, though, as it requires far more wrist-lift and outright arm work. Since that largely eliminates the possibility of more than rudimentary attention to phrasing, you frequently will see little of it in scores of this kind.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Endurance is a problem! But I knew that when the idea struck me. And you have well described the phrasing markings. Perhaps I should make it clear that the title refers to Franz Liszt, sometimes referred to as the Abbe Liszt, and to N. Pagannini, often referred to as being demonic.

High energy level is certainly a big part of much of my music. I have no idea why, that is just the way it is. But you should not think it is part of my playing! I enjoy high energy music for listening, but don't have the inclination or skills to incorporate it into my playing.

Dargason, I welcome your comments. I can't expect it to be pleasing to everyone. That would be nice, but just not real The tempo is fast, but it can be done -- just not by me! It could be slowed down a bit.

Lastly, I am quite pleased that people not only are listening, but taking the trouble to look at the score.

I've got some more energetic pieces to list soon. But first I must check to make sure that I have not already done so.

Richard

Go Back to forum