• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music.

Share/Bookmark

Music.

What does it really do for you? How deep does it take you away from what, where, how, and your surroundings? Why do you devote so much of your time studying, composing, and listening to music? What would you do if it all suddenly ceased? (Now there's a nasty thought!)
    Those voices inside. The ones you hear when you are sleeping. The ones you forget most of the time when you awake. Where do you think the really come from. How much more time will you spend with music during the rest of you life?
    And lastly, what if Gary or any other sample library developer never gave it a second thought to pursue their dreams, what then, General Midi for the rest of our lives? Yeesh! What a thought.

I got too much time on my hands!

The man's sick! SICK I TELL YA ... SICK!
    Alright, throw da bum out then.
    Thanks boss. Ya won't regret it.
    Sick ... sick in da haidt!
    No goodt!
    Want haiff a pizza boss?
    Sick, da colonel this the colonel that! Everything's for the colonel!
    Eh, leave 'em alone he's harmless.
    Okay boss, untie da bum and trow 'em out the back door!
    Freak ...

Re: Music.

Woah, now, don't go asking tough and somewhat philosophical questions like that! You make me want to answer them...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Geesh Styxx! I was just out bowling and doing poorly and have to think about this!
    What does it really do for you? How deep does it take you away from what, where, how, and your surroundings? Why do you devote so much of your time studying, composing, and listening to music? What would you do if it all suddenly ceased? (Now there's a nasty thought!
    Music, in my humble opinion is the closest you can get to any human being. When you are performing it's like the Vulcan mind meld man!! When you are composing you are creating something unique that only a human can do. I don't think I have ever heard an opera or a symphony by any other species. To be human is to be creative. NO OTHER species on this planet can do THAT!

Those voices inside. The ones you hear when you are sleeping.
    Those voices inside my head don't stop when I wake up. Maybe I need a shrink!

Technology has only given us yet another tool that proves our humanity.
    GO GARY!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Styxx,

I think there are many of us on this forum that would wither and die without music. I know I would. I don't think that music could ever just disappear. It is all around in nature. Your own heartbeat, etc.

And if Gary had not pursued his dreams, and GM was still the standard, hmmm. I think that I would be as content as I was when that WAS true. But having tasted the delicious fruits of realsitic sample-based music, It would REALLY be hard to go back and be as happy with hearing my music created on a computer.

Leave it to Mikey to get all deep - AND absolutely off the wall - all in the same post.

Glad to have you back, by the way.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Hey Jerry! You're now a member of the 1000 club!

Ahh, the days of GM. Those were fun. Really the only thing I didn't like was having the 16 channel limit. If I could have a good 128 channels or something I'd be much happier. It was always fun for me to experiment with different sounds and find what works best. I found that using the oboe patch in a lower octave often sounded more like a bassoon than the bassoon patch.

But that's besides the point...

As I'm sure it is for the most of us here, music IS us. I know it is for me. I can relate anything to music. That's how I survive chemistry class. (AHH!! Chemistry!! )

Ok, going OT again just because I can't sleep tonight. We were learning about electron configuration in chemistry about a month ago and I was having a hard time remembering which sublevels were what and the energy levels and how many sublevels they had and the different orbitols...it was very weird. Then I related it all to pipe organs!!
    OK, so it's like this: in real chemistry an atom has energy levels, within those are sublevels named s, p, d, and f. The first energy level has one s sublevel. The second energy level has an s and a p sublevel. The third has s, p, d and the fourth s, p, d, f.
    Then there are the orbitles. There is one orbitle in the s sublevel, three in the p sublevel, five in the d sublevel, and seven in the f sublevel. Each orbitle holds 2 electrons.
    So here it is in pipe organ terms: Each energy level is a manual. There is a crecendo sequence between all the manuals, the lowest (energy level 1) being the softest and the uppermost (energy level 4) being the loudest. The sublevels s, p, d, and f are all a division in the organ. The s is the string division, the p the flute division (because upon attack the flute stops go poooo), the d the diapason division, and the f the reeds division (f standing for forte because the reeds are very loud). OK, so the lowest manual has the strings, the next one the strings and flutes, the next one strings, flutes, and diapasons, and the last one strings, flutes, diapasons, and reeds for a full organ tutti. Then the orbitls I just had to memorize. The orbitls were ranks and the electrons pipes.

So there's my OT for the week.

So anyway...

Music is the driving force of my life and my brain's dead because I'm really tired but can't sleep and feel like crap!!!

Good night everybody!

-Chris

Exclamation Re: Music.

Hi guys,
    I'm gonna tell ya my story.

When I was really young (around 9-10 y.o.), my family moved from the center of Rome to a little country place few miles from the City. There starts my nightmare!
    The other children were so hostile, kidding me around, calling me "The Foreign", beating me only if I was looking at "Their" women.I was forced to go to school looking always at my feet. So I totally colse in myself, going out only for the school, and spending all the rest of the time at home, not talking with anybody. I got depression....I've tried to suicide. So my father decide to let me begin the study of music (piano)......he is a musician anyway.....all my relatives are musicians.
    I remeber yet that the piano was placed in my bedroom near a window (not near the Windows XP as you can suppose ;-). Through the window I was able to look at Ills, trees, animals, colours....and magically I've started to move my fingers on the piano keyboard trying to "Play" what I was looking at.
    So the piano became my best friend for a long time. I was spending all my time playing the world inside my head, and this thing tooks me off from bad thoughts.

Finally I can assure that Music saved my life.
    Now it's my turn, so I have to save the Music :-)
    This is my true experience with the music.

Ciao
    Francesco
    nothing is forever

Quote Originally Posted by RichR

Music, in my humble opinion is the closest you can get to any human being.
    Hmm, and I thought it was , silly me.

Music along with the other arts help define our soul, often times giving us a reason for being. I have seen chimpanzees paint, but I don't think abstract art can worry about a 'chimp' invasion.

What sets us aside from the rest of the animal world is not only the ability to create art, but to appreciate art and 'feel' art! I don't believe I have ever seen a monkey cry after hearing Les Miserables or Mozart's Requiem. Though I have seen 'kids' act like monkeys at those performances!

Silly me, I thought I was an artist until I saw art.

And lastly, what if Gary or any other sample library developer never gave it a second thought to pursue their dreams, what then, General Midi for the rest of our lives? Yeesh! What a thought.
    Yeah, then you'd have to learn how to program a synthesizer - a real one, like a Buchla or Moog 15, not a digitally controlled preset puppy or ROMpler.

For your lapse in historical accuracy, I sentence you to listen to Isao Tomita, preferably Firebird, and Wendy Carlos's Clockwork Orange orchestral sims, and, if you can find it, the amazing Pompous Circumstances .

See, it was possible then, but thank God (and Gary and Worra and the rest) we don't have to!
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum