• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: KONTAKT 2 POWER...the book!

Share/Bookmark

KONTAKT 2 POWER...the book!

This is a bit of self-promotion but I wanted all you forum regulars to know about it. I recently finished writing my first book, entitled KONTAKT 2 POWER. It is a very thorough look at Kontakt 2. I tried in every way to explain things in as much detail as possible. It contains two chapters which are step-by-step (or click-by-click) tutorials to building your own instruments, showing you everything from the basic (e.g. building a keymap in the mapping editor) to the advanced (getting into Tone/Time Machine and granular synthesis). My aim was to lead you through everything once so that, once you've done those tutorials, you would have the knowledge to go and create anything else you could ever want in Kontakt 2.

There is also a bonus appendix devoted to using K2 in a live performance setup. I used to tour as a touring keyboardist so I am well acquainted with the unique challenges that touring with a computer can pose. So this appendix is directed at that.

I also got to interview a few people @ NI involved in the creation of Kontakt. There's lots of interesting insights into why they did what they did.

I hope many of you can check it out. Here is a link to the (US) Amazon page on the book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...Fencoding=UTF8

Re: KONTAKT 2 POWER...the book!

Thanks for the heads up David. I just came to northern sounds to get help w/ kontakt...

nice congrats man, and good luck!
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

David,
    Congrats on your first book !!.....I will check it out ....Sincerely, Jim

I will go buy the book tomorrow at my local Barnes and Noble. Until then, maybe someone can enlighten me on how to select instruments from the lists that pop out to the side. They overlap as they spread out to the right and then when I try to scroll down to a patch within a sub-list, I list in back scrolls. For example, I cannot select the gong.

Now someone is going to say -- hey fool, do ..., to which I will say rightly accused and thank you very much, but man, I can't for the life of me select the instruments I want. Yeeesh!

I just finished the book and I must say it is a clear presentation of what Kontakt 2 can do and quite an improvement over the manual....which was easier for me to understand after I read K2 Power. I recommend it.

Thanks for the support, everybody.

APlanchard -- that is a bug that I too have complained to NI about. There isn't really a fix for it other than making the K2 interface bigger (use the View size for this). Or you can just not nest your patches in so many folders -- organize them into fewer hierarchical folders.

I have submitted this bug/issue to the Kontakt developers.

I just ordered your book. Looking forward to it!

Thanks for getting back to me David. Well, at least I don't feel stupid now, but I am really surprised that such a limitation has not been fixed. I have enlarged the interface as large as it allows me to, but still cannot get access to many instruments. Oh well, I will try to reorganize the folder structure.

Looking forward to the book. As a Giga user, I have had the hardest time getting my head around power use of Kontakt, so I'm counting on you David! LOL!

I just installed K2 and have been running into problems. This sounds like something that may help me understand K2 better.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum