• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Synful: Donīt know how to play it properly or did I miss something

Share/Bookmark

Synful: Donīt know how to play it properly or did I miss something

Iīm just about to put a violin solo into an Argentinian tango I made quite recently. I used the Emerald solo strings with very pleasing results (waiting for the legato version with Kirkīs fantastic script...hint, hint ) and then though I could have another go with Synful. Generously enough, they provide a second demo chance for 15 days, getting a license was no problem.

But when I tried to perform a solo violin it just sounded awful like a cheap synth workstation. I tried to implement my volume pedal, expression controller and modwheel but it still sounds awful.
    Listening to the demos I got the expression that itīs not perfect but overall sounds quite convincing.

Whatīs the secret of this beast that I may have missed or misunderstood in the instructions or would you advice me to go for Garritanīs strad if I need a solo violin anyway (though I will definitely wait how Kirkīs solo violin performs with the script)?

Thanks for any help and suggestion
    Regards
    Raindog

Re: Synful: Donīt know how to play it properly or did I miss something

Hi Raindog,

I guess this is a silly question, but did you enable the "Delay for Expression" button from within Synful? That is what connects all the notes and creates the legato

Apart from that generally it's good to have some random mohweel to make the sound more alive, activating "Synful Pitch wheel" (however it's called) to introduce small bends can make it livelier too.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Hi Raindog,

I guess this is a silly question, but did you enable the "Delay for Expression" button from within Synful? That is what connects all the notes and creates the legato

Apart from that generally it's good to have some random mohweel to make the sound more alive, activating "Synful Pitch wheel" (however it's called) to introduce small bends can make it livelier too.
    Hi Theodor and thanks a lot for the quick reply. The problem with DfE is that it (through itīs mode of action) canīt be used when playing a part live into a sequencer.
    With DfE turned off, Synful sounds so mediocre that itīs hardly inspiring when you do some composing. I think even when playing from a score the cheap sound influences the way you perform. It may be a theoretically nice and interesting instrument but the "performance feel good factor" is somwhere below zero as the instrument just sounds extremely cheap when turning DfE off. I there anything I could do better or is this just the berry I have to swallow when playing Synful?
    Best regards
    Raindog

Hi Raindog,

So live playing eh? I'm afraid that's gonna be a tough one with Synful. You could always play a part as you like it and then do the tweaking and adding controllers later (recording just the modwheel and adding various slur lengths to the notes). I guess the best bet for you would be the Stradivari, but waiting for Kirks scripts ain't a bad idea either.

Regards,
    Theo
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Hi Raindog,

So live playing eh? I'm afraid that's gonna be a tough one with Synful. You could always play a part as you like it and then do the tweaking and adding controllers later (recording just the modwheel and adding various slur lengths to the notes). I guess the best bet for you would be the Stradivari, but waiting for Kirks scripts ain't a bad idea either.

Regards,
    Theo
    Hi Theo,
    thanks again for sharing your synful experience ( ). Actually, I hoped this instrument would be more inspiring when playing the tracks into the sequencer. Unfortunately, (or fortunately?) my way of composing is very "online" or "on the fly" thatīs why I need an inspiring instrument. I think this is one weakness of the synful concept but I may give it another try tonight.
    regards
    Raindog

I have synful and I understand. I love it but if you need the immeadiate thing you should beg boorrow steal Garritians Stradivarius. I got mine last week and it's so nice. Also, w/ Synful once you REALLY have the volume.pitch.mod going-it goes a long way to making synful sound organic. Takes a bit of work.

Long notes always need swells...you have endless possibilities of swells with Synful and it takes time to learn how to use it but the great thing is that (unlike samples) after some working you are always sure it can sound the way you hear in your mind...also , work the modwheel for vibrato , full vibrato all the time makes it less expressive!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

Quote Originally Posted by leogardini
    Long notes always need swells...you have endless possibilities of swells with Synful and it takes time to learn how to use it but the great thing is that (unlike samples) after some working you are always sure it can sound the way you hear in your mind...also , work the modwheel for vibrato , full vibrato all the time makes it less expressive!!!
    I very much appreciate the offline possibilities of Synful though I begin to realise, based on the previous comments, that the live possibilities of Synful are very limited. Therefore it doesnīt seem to be the right tool for my style of composing which is mainly based on live playing.
    I think that will be a major challenge for future sample-based instruments: To make them playable instruments as tweaking and editing midi events on a computer seems like a strange way of making music to me.

Maybe instruments like the Garritan stradivari are the way to go (at least for me)

Regards
    Raindog

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog
    I very much appreciate the offline possibilities of Synful though I begin to realise, based on the previous comments, that the live possibilities of Synful are very limited. Therefore it doesnīt seem to be the right tool for my style of composing which is mainly based on live playing.
    I think that will be a major challenge for future sample-based instruments: To make them playable instruments as tweaking and editing midi events on a computer seems like a strange way of making music to me.

Maybe instruments like the Garritan stradivari are the way to go (at least for me)

Regards
    Raindog
    I agree...Synful , and any library , canīt sound realistic if you need to play live...this is a challenge for developers that will never be better than the real players!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

I remember sharmy and others doing some great things with synful violin. Craig, if you are around, did you mostly play the lead synful violin part on the fly using the modwheel, or was most of it crafting in midi sequencer note by note?

Go Back to forum