• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: garritan solo strad vs vsl solo strings

Share/Bookmark

garritan solo strad vs vsl solo strings

Hi all, i was just wondering, what the difference is. Now this is not suppose to be a who is better or anything like that , i am just trying to figure out what the differnces are. The demos from the garritan site and the videos they have of what it does are very impressive, and the vsl videos seem to do the same thing at least from what i can see. But it looks eaiser on the garritan. Now is the difference ease and is that it. And of course the price, garritan has always kept his products afforable, which i must commend, not all of us are rich and can afford many thousand dollar libaries. Ok well if anybody has any suggetions comment or advice i woud love to here them thanks in advance

Lightbulb Re: garritan solo strad vs vsl solo strings

The main advantage in Stradivari Solo Violin is the single program, playing all articulations just at your fingertips, or with a simple and expressive programming.

The complex patchwork of different articulations collage in VSL Solo Strings, has a strange sound of discontinuity, in my opinion, even if single samples may sound better than Stradivari.

If you look for an omogeneous flow of sound, Stradivari is your instrument, as if you are looking for realtime playable programs.

If you are looking for "frozen" but crystal clean sounds, may be you would like the VSL.

my 2 cents.

Re: garritan solo strad vs vsl solo strings

Hard to say before the new VSL VI is released.

I'm sure there will be loads of threads about this in a few weeks.

I find particularly interesting that the Garritan Strad has the samples phase aligned so when you're blending them together with controllers you don't notice 2 samples at all.

This is especially important for solo instruments.

I think VSL would greatly benefit this phase alignement technology : )

Quote Originally Posted by charl_charl
    I think VSL would greatly benefit this phase alignement technology : )
    Good luck to any developer in creating their own version of the Sonic Morphing process. Garritan not only phase-aligns through layered dynamics on a single key - but it seems to be aligned across the keyboard. If you watch the virtual keyboard when you play a portamento passage, you'll see they they actually are crossfadding and pitch-shifting through each "root" sample as they transition through the interval. That's one reason why the SSV sounds so "organic" in the final result (I'm sure the resonant body impulse helps with smoothing out the overall timbral response as well). The end result is startling. I'd imagine that developers will have as much work cut out for them in getting that level of scripting working for their instruments - above and beyond the task of phase-aligning all articulations and dynamic layers.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Hard to say before the new VSL VI is released.

I'm sure there will be loads of threads about this in a few weeks.
    Well, there's onecomparison we can make already:

$2,000 vs. $250. Garritan wins

The Solo String VI is hardly two thousand dollars. Its $450 for the base module (containing violin, viola, cello, and contrabass) and another $450 for the extended content.

Well fine then

I really did think the VSL VI was going to be a lot more, even for just one module.

They both have very defferent sound, don't they?

VSL's gotten a bit of a bad rap on their pricing, mostly because some competitors and detractors have posted some misleading stuff.

The Entire Symphonic Cube VI has 10 modules (Solo Strings is one - for $415) that TOTAL $4,600. That's not really that expensive. More than some other libraries, yes, but it's a full VSL library with the new VI.

The Extended Content will run you another $6,400, but keep in mind this is all "extras." You don't need any of the Extended Content for the legato or repetition abilities.

Granted, this can still be a pile of money, but as Joseph points out, $415 isn't that much more than $250 . . . and with VSL we also get viola, cello and bass.

This is not a knock in any way on the Strativari, which I think is incredible. I just want to make clear VSL's prices aren't as ridiculous as some seem to think.

- Mike Greene

Go Back to forum