• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Woodwind Quartet in G minor

Share/Bookmark

Woodwind Quartet in G minor

Howdy y'all...

Here's my first woodwind quartet. I've never tried writing for just woodwind instruments before. Instrumentation includes flute, oboe, clarinet, and bassoon, as most woodwind quartets do. This may just be the first movement of a larger work if I feel like composing more for woodwinds It starts in G minor, but goes to its relative major a lot.

MP3 : http://www.wizardwalk.com/music/WoodwindQuartet.mp3

I hope you enjoy it.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Woodwind Quartet in G minor

Soft beginning and continous development throughout the piece was very nice. The technique of call and answer plays major parts in this as do all ensemble music. And I like the last slow part, it's like a prelude to the second movement . The only thing I want comment on is the bassoon, it's kind of hard hear it when every one is playing. Maybe he's shy .

Good job, looking forward to more of these.
    Ke Yang (OMG I'm using mah name)
    Insert Useless Advertisement Here

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

Good work on this, Sean!

In the mix, I think many of the areas where long segments of repeated notes are used; those, I might bring down a bit and make less obtrusive. Could just be my ancient hearing, but they seem to overshadow the thematic material in some places.

Looking forward to the rest, my friend!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tovan
    The only thing I want comment on is the bassoon, it's kind of hard hear it when every one is playing. Maybe he's shy .
    Thanks for listening Tovan! Perhaps I'll fool around with the bassoon's mod wheel some more

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    In the mix, I think many of the areas where long segments of repeated notes are used; those, I might bring down a bit and make less obtrusive. Could just be my ancient hearing, but they seem to overshadow the thematic material in some places.
    Thanks for listening David! Do you mean bring down in volume, or in use? Because they do create a rhythm I like, but I certainly don't want them to be a distraction for the more thematic material in the higher registers...

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Sean, I meant reduce the volume... lol. Sorry, sometimes I'm as clear as mud. (Again, trust your own ear, not mine, of course -- my hearing's not the greatest.) In general, when you're just laying down the harmony and rhythm, naturally, as you say, it's the thematic material that you want emphasized.

Just for kicks, an experiment -- not for a finished product -- try a really low dynamic on those repeated notes... you'll probably be surprised at how they'll still cut through, even if very soft.

Best,

David.

Sean

This is a very nice, playful piece . I like the change to the more melodic ending. You did a great job with the mixing .
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Very nice piece Sean. I always enjoy your music. The way you develop your material is intrigueing. Great job.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Sean,
    great I really like it. There are some passages that sound wonderful!!

Keep on writing, bud!!

Roberto

On the repeated notes try using (or use more) VAR1 and, especially, VAR2 to increase the variation between notes. Varying velocities and mod wheel data can also help avoid the repeated sample artificiality. Nice work.

Tom

This is a very nice, almost celtic sounding ensemble piece. As a clarinetist I am certainly glad I didn't record this with all those repeated notes. That repetition or long tones can really tighten ones jaws up and tire a player out quickly.

I didn't hear a big problem in the repeated notes (the notorious machine gun effect) as others describe. Did you fix it or are my old marching band director's ears just unable to pick it up through all the tintinitis!

Congrats on a great piece. Maybe I'll use some of your approach to bantering the melodies around in my next woodwind quartet. The last one was not greatly recieved by our forum and it was extremely short (3 movements in 3 minutes ). Anyway, I LOVED your piece!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast