• Register
  • Help

Topic: HOW TO OVERHAUL A CONTROLLER

Share/Bookmark

HOW TO OVERHAUL A CONTROLLER

YO Gang:

I have an older Fatar 88 key weighted controller, it's a Studio 1100 that has seen a lot of action (get it?) in it's life time. Some of the keys feel like I'm pressing down on oatmeal while others have held up rather well. (The D#'s are fine I hate the key of B).

ANyway, this thing needs a stinkin' overhaul. Anybody everdone this? Or better still done it to this board? Anyone think it can be done myself?

appreciate any comments -

Tanks-
    TS

Re: HOW TO OVERHAUL A CONTROLLER

Don't know if it's the same design but I replaced all the weights on my PC88 - also Fatar action. Two long strips of weights, wasn't that hard once the keybed was pulled. Mine's probably had similar use so it's also showing it's age. Just went in and fixed some contacts.

If that model includes aftertouch, be sure to watch out for the AT strip. It comes off the end and tends to be stiff. Easy to forget to disconnect it. Those things tend to be a pain on all the keyboards I've worked on.

My question is whether you can get the parts. The nice thing about the PC88 is Sweetwater acting as a Kurzweil parts source. Don't know if you would have as much luck dealing directly with Fatar/Studiologic.

FYI Sam Ash & Ebay have SL990's at $299. Must be closing them out.

Let me know how you make out.

Ernie

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie

FYI Sam Ash & Ebay have SL990's at $299. Must be closing them out.
    THAT would be the cheap overhaul. Just buy one of the discounted SL990's and drop the action into the 1100.

Hey Ernie!

Well, I'm a bit corn-fused! You replaced the weights? Where did they go? Did they somehow lose they weight-ness? Or do you mean that you get better action with all new weights in your keyboard? Mine clearly has a problem from one key to the next. As if a spring has gotten weak or something in just certain keys.

Hmmm... Bruce buy the 990 and drop it in eh? Not a bad idea. I also think it's great getting the 990 for $300.
    Thinking........................with all this snow I'll have plenty of time for thinking. Or I could be working on that film project that's due.

BTW Ernie do you recall how much those weights cost you?

-TS

Quote Originally Posted by landford
    Well, I'm a bit corn-fused! You replaced the weights? Where did they go? Did they somehow lose they weight-ness? Or do you mean that you get better action with all new weights in your keyboard? Mine clearly has a problem from one key to the next. As if a spring has gotten weak or something in just certain keys.
    I had my Kurzweil PC88 (Fatar) refurbed a year ago or so. It cost just over $200 for parts and labor. The reason? On weight had broken (D#, er, Eb. I like the key of Cm. Apparently, so did my kids and their friends.) Also, the keys started squeaking.

The deal was that they couldn't just fix a key or two. The PC88 has three assemblies under the keys - each one covers 1/3 of the keyboard. I had all three replaced.

It now plays like new. The touch is nice and consistent. The squeak is gone.

-JF

I have both the 1100 and the SL990 and be aware that the sl990 is a different keyboard. The action is significantly lighter though I much prefer it's action over the 1100. But really, it's a different feel entirely. The sl990 lacks in functions though. Combined w/a smaller VI type keyboard (m-audio etc_ w/faders and buttons)the sl990 becomes a killer combo.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I had my Kurzweil PC88 (Fatar) refurbed a year ago or so. It cost just over $200 for parts and labor. The reason? On weight had broken (D#, er, Eb. I like the key of Cm. Apparently, so did my kids and their friends.) Also, the keys started squeaking.

The deal was that they couldn't just fix a key or two. The PC88 has three assemblies under the keys - each one covers 1/3 of the keyboard. I had all three replaced.

It now plays like new. The touch is nice and consistent. The squeak is gone.

-JF
    The weights on the the PC88 are known for breaking. General sign is "klacking" of the keys. Last time I checked you have the option of buying single weights from Sweetwater or the whole schmear. They are going to go bad so once one breaks you might as well replace the lot - price is a lot cheaper. I think individual weights were something like $3 each but, in my case, the TWO "rods" were $80 total. There are different models so they have to get your serial number so they know what to send you.

Ernie

The tech who refurbed by PC88 said that the assemblies have gone through three engineering revisions. I't possible that these were for cost reasons. Hopefully they made the thing more robust.

BTW, you're right. The broken weight thing started with a clacking sound.

I don't know that I'd want to mess with replacig one weight unless it was at the end of the rod. Mine was near the middle. When I saw that, I decided to take it into the shop.

-JF

Talking Re: HOW TO OVERHAUL A CONTROLLER

imho casio is the way to go. You bypass all the weighted key problems and parts are incredibly easy to get.

Wish fixing my LED display on my 11 year old KORG wasn't such an ordeal. I'm in Phoenix and I get this deer in headlights glare from the few keyboard shops I approach. Looks like I need to haul it to Los Angeles. Lucky me.

Go Back to forum