• Register
  • Help

Topic: First Efforts

Share/Bookmark

First Efforts

Here are my first GPO efforts. I decided to write a few film clichés to test my versatility. They are all short snippets:

Battle March
    http://www.greenbackdollar.com/battle.mp3

Flirtatious
    http://www.greenbackdollar.com/flirtatious.mp3

Romance
    http://www.greenbackdollar.com/romance.mp3

Men in Tights
    http://www.greenbackdollar.com/tights.mp3

Your comments and criticisms are welcome.

Thanks
    Don

Re: First Efforts

Welcome to the forum, Don!

Some good work, here; you're off to a fine start.

I might suggest working more with the sound treatment (Ambience et al.) end of things -- that'll enable you to lend a fuller, more realistic sound to these.

Come back soon with more!

My best,

David.

Welcome to the forum Don,

The writing shows a good discipline and construction is very nice. I like each little snippet and do want to hear more of each piece refined into a full length score! You have a lot of ideas.

You'll need to read the manual on GPO and try experimenting with reverb (Ambience) to flesh out each instrument. Remember that the mod wheel is the volume control and does a great job in bringing an instrument to life by crescendoing and decrescendoing (maybe those are not words ) each players line as a real player would do. (No one plays a whole note exactly one volume level, a musician usually swells through the pitch and into the next part of the phrase.)

Please, these are just suggestions as I am still learning as well. I can tell you that the best of the four snippets you presented was "Flirtation". It came alive more than the others.

Please do more, I like what I hear!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks Rich for your comments.

I am an "ideas" kind of guy. I keep a small digital recorder at my piano, so that I won't lose an idea when it hits. They leave about as quickly as they come if I don't record them. I have more ideas than I have time to develop.

Effects: I'm using Protools so I 'e.q.'ed individual sounds with the 7-band mono e.q. The 4-band stereo reverb doesn't give me enough control. But I think I got the things too brite, especially the brass. I used the D-verb sparingly--it's too stringy for my personal tastes. For some reason Ambience isn't showing up as an add-on in protools, so I have to figure out what that's all about.

Volume changes: I did use the protools automation (which acts like an automated sound board), but I think your suggestion of the mod wheel when recording might be the way to go for a more authentic sound.

Musicality: Funny you should comment on the Romantic piece. It was the first of the group--I just started playing with no click track and 'emoted' and improvised my way through it. So it has a spontaneous feel that the other snippets lack. I was worried that it might be ‘over the top’. Hey, if I was going for Love Story I might have achieved it lol.

Flirtatious was intended to be comical. I was thinking of a Steve Martin style film. Tights was intended to be more serious. But it came out sounding like Robin Hood, Men in Tights; thus the title. In fact, over-the-top might be my gift. Is their a niche market for comedy/humor compositional writing?

Keep the suggestions coming. I need all the help I can get!
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I might suggest working more with the sound treatment (Ambience et al.) end of things -- that'll enable you to lend a fuller, more realistic sound to these.

Come back soon with more!

My best,

David.
    Thanks David. As soon as I can get Ambience to show up as an add on, I'll do that. Getting things to sound realistic is going to be my challenge I think.

Quote Originally Posted by doncleary
    Thanks David. As soon as I can get Ambience to show up as an add on, I'll do that. Getting things to sound realistic is going to be my challenge I think.
    Can't comment on ProTools, as I do not use it.

But hey, Don -- you've got more than decent material to work with... and that's the most important ingredient.

Whether you use Ambience or any of dozens of other tools for reverb, achieving a realistic sound is, yes, a bit of a challenge at first.

That comes along fairly quickly, though, so not to worry. Like so many things in music, it just takes some practice and persistence.

My best,

David.

Your a ProTools guy... I never got the freebie version of it to work well on my system (AMD64 +3400 with 1 gig of ram and 400 Gigs of HD). I opted for Tracktion and am very happy with it.

You said:
    I'm using Protools so I 'e.q.'ed individual sounds with the 7-band mono e.q. The 4-band stereo reverb doesn't give me enough control. But I think I got the things too brite, especially the brass. I used the D-verb sparingly--it's too stringy for my personal tastes. For some reason Ambience isn't showing up as an add-on in protools, so I have to figure out what that's all about.
    Ambience is a .dll file and ProTools may not be finding it. You may have to copy it to a draw where PT can find it or tell PT where to look. (I'm not that familiar with PT's setup). Also, I have use other reverb programs with the sounds and you can (with your ear ) get the GPO sounds to have the quality you are after).

Volume changes: I did use the protools automation (which acts like an automated sound board), but I think your suggestion of the mod wheel when recording might be the way to go for a more authentic sound.
    I think you'll find that the mod wheel (cc#1) is the way to go. If you are doing the automated thing it is probably with a rendered wave file (I'm just guessiong here) and just changing the volume that way will not give you the best sound from GPO. The mod wheel on a GPO sample does more than just change the volume. It changes the charachter of the sound just as a player would as they play louder (tone also changes as well as quality of sound etc.) The best way I have found to achieve a mod wheel control (since my keyboard skills are not super) is to notate the players part in Finale (any notation program), save it as a midi file, load it into my sequencer (Tracktion) then record a merge file where I ride the mod wheel as the sequencer plays the notes and I make the notes "sing" so to speak. I hope that made sense and I'm not sure if you can do that in PT.

After you have the basic mod wheel stuff in, you can tweak it to your hearts content. Again, I'm assuming that PT has a piano roll section and access to midi controller information that you can draw or alter.

I guess that was long winded. I hope you didn't fall asleep with a boring presentation. Maybe I helped a little.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Don,
    Welcome to the Forum. These snippets are all very good. All of them have a film like quality. I can't add anything to the reverb discussion other than there are other reverb programs like SIR that might be worth looking at.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Go Back to forum