• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EXTREMELY pleased with GOS

Share/Bookmark

EXTREMELY pleased with GOS

I have been sitting here for the past three hours auditioning the GOS, which I received yesterday. I was expecting it to be good, but quality wise, not as good as the EWQL lib, nor as good as the basic VSL lib that shipped with K2. Boy, was I wrong. Better? No. But just as good. A bit different, but the quality is basically the same - what it's coming down to here is mostly EWQL strings, because of the different mic placements. But what I think I am going to wind up doing, is loading the F & S EWQL mics for ambience, and loading the GOS comprable samples for some things. I already keep the C EWQL mics up, and the other two down, and am finding that on some articulations, if i use the GOS samples as close mics in conjunction with the F & S EWQL mics instead of the EWQL C mics, I get an excellent result. Now, if GOS only had F & S mics....HINT HINT!!!

Re: EXTREMELY pleased with GOS

Does your GOS include the 'Tender Strings' patches? This was an update a couple of years back. They were made on my request by Tom and they're awesome! Check them out.

Yes, they are there. And yes, they are very good. They need a bit of tinkering, but kudos to Tom - great job. Are these played seperately, or made from original recordings - eq'd, velocitized (now THERE's a word!), etc?

I believe they are just the pianissimo samples with a slower attack, etc. They are great for blending too. I always blend them with Ultimate Strings. Still one of my favs.

I have mp3's on Garritan.com that showcase the patches. Go easy as I am no composer...
    • Opus 1- A beautiful excerpt showing the GOS tender long bows.
    • Opus 2 -This moving excerpt shows some of the new instruments in the GOS update material.Opus
    • Opus 3 - tender legatos.
    PS. The whispy wind sound on Opus 2 is a freebie legato flute from Bela D.

Enjoy the product!!

Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    I have been sitting here for the past three hours auditioning the GOS, which I received yesterday. I was expecting it to be good, but quality wise, not as good as the EWQL lib, nor as good as the basic VSL lib that shipped with K2. Boy, was I wrong. Better? No. But just as good. A bit different, but the quality is basically the same - what it's coming down to here is mostly EWQL strings, because of the different mic placements. But what I think I am going to wind up doing, is loading the F & S EWQL mics for ambience, and loading the GOS comprable samples for some things. I already keep the C EWQL mics up, and the other two down, and am finding that on some articulations, if i use the GOS samples as close mics in conjunction with the F & S EWQL mics instead of the EWQL C mics, I get an excellent result. Now, if GOS only had F & S mics....HINT HINT!!!
    LIkewise, I was also quite blown away at the quality of the library for being a classic. I think GOS is in par with anything new out there today, and has some special articulations that some of my other libraries do not have. I also have VSL, EWgold, and KH Emerald, which are also incredible libraries. I also mix and match these libraries, and also use these libraries simultaneously in GS3 and K2.

It's no wonder that Pro's have been using GOS as their "go to" string library for years.

I don`t have GOS, but heard good things about
    the short bows. Maybe you could give it a try.
    Or maybe you already did that.

Nothing to add here - it's simply a stunning library - and I'm glad I made it to the Clearence Sale right in time - it simply was a no-brainer at all :-)

Ok - there are a few minor issues, like some of the "Grand Sustain" loop points stand out more than they should - but hey - concerning that those were made from those short "Grand Detaches" makes it acceptible.

I also was pleased to find those little bonuses on disc 3, like the free SAM stuff, the Impulse Responses and - not to forget - the G-Town Free Percussion samples, which are simply stunning - why did'nt I download those earlier ;-) The G-Town Bass Drum was the BD I was looking for !! Holy s.... - this one pumps the poo out of you.....

A very happy customer ;-)

Thanks again Gary

Seb

Hey theiss - is that orange ball of fur yours? Damn, that is one happy cat!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    Hey theiss - is that orange ball of fur yours? Damn, that is one happy cat!!!!
    :-) Actually, I found this picture some time ago while googling around - but to be honest I would say we both have a lot in common - not to say that I'm covered with orange-colored fur :-) well, it's more about the fact that this lazy couch potato reflects my personal opinion about having a good time.
    ;-)

Ok! You win! GOS will be in my list of must buy. I have listened to the demos posted by Frank and I love the sound. Tender legatos are amazing and it seems to blend well with any other libs. It has been a great surprise for me (and to know that Gary plays harps... ).
    Great sound and great price. Thanks!

...I imagine those tender strings with the moving choirs of Gio...
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Go Back to forum