• Register
  • Help

Topic: Making my GPO strings "Sound"

Share/Bookmark

Red face Making my GPO strings "Sound"

Hello Forum Members, I´m new here and have recently got myself GPO. I´ve been arranging for 30 years with most of that being done professionally as Symphonic band and Big Band arrangements. I would be very grateful if anyone can offer me tips on how to use my GPO to get a nice big String Orch sound when working together with Cubase.
    I´m sure the most experienced of you can offer me some good tips, for that I would eternally grateful and thankyou. Best wishes from Germany Fongi

Re: Making my GPO strings "Sound"

Hello Fongi, and welcome aboard!

I'm not a CuBase user (I use Finale, and work straight from notation); so I will leave that aspect of your question for those versed in it.

In general, though, the GPO strings behave and sound quite like real strings in most regards; so, the voicing and writing of the string parts is of first importance. That is, no matter the quality of the samples, it's essential to still adhere to proper string writing principles and practices.

Second, there are a number of different string samples to work with. In my own experience, I found doing some quick exercises to understand the characteristics of each was important to using them effectively.

Third, one of the most useful techniques is ensemble building: Because you have a variety from which to choose, you can essentially create the string ensemble by combining various samples, thereby configuring the ensemble sound and characteristics in the manner that best suits what you are rendering.

All of this takes a bit of time and practice, of course!

On your specific CuBase questions, I'm sure someone will be along who can help you more specifically in that area.

Once again, welcome to the forum, Fongi! I hope I have been of some small help to you.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi David greetings from Germany! thankyou for your kind reply and advice.
    I also write all my scores in Finale, the reason I transfer them to Cubase is because I have a lot more flexibilty, that is I can convert the Midi notes to waves and then work on them as I wish, for example the end of notes I can then "tail off" and there are less abrupt ending, it avoids that pumping effect which sounds so awful. Regarding my writing, I don´t think there is a problem there, if I may say so, I studied classical harmony for 4 years and was a band director in the military for 22 years so I think I´ve got that side of things "down" I guess I need a lot more experience using GPO, String Quartetts sound find but when I have a string orch it doesn´t seem to sound quite so good as some of the deomos I´ve heard so I´m surely doing something wrong .
    Do you know if there are any tutorials that I should read? Regarding the GPO hand book, it´s disappointing of not useless to say the least, I wrote to Gary Garritan and told him the same (no response), surely such a programme should have at least a 60 page hand book with all the do´s and dont´s and how one makes the strings sing. Thanks again for your advice, any tutorial info would be most welcome. Many thanks Fongi

Quote Originally Posted by fongi
    Hi David greetings from Germany! thankyou for your kind reply and advice.
    I also write all my scores in Finale, the reason I transfer them to Cubase is because I have a lot more flexibilty, that is I can convert the Midi notes to waves and then work on them as I wish, for example the end of notes I can then "tail off" and there are less abrupt ending, it avoids that pumping effect which sounds so awful. Regarding my writing, I don´t think there is a problem there, if I may say so, I studied classical harmony for 4 years and was a band director in the military for 22 years so I think I´ve got that side of things "down" I guess I need a lot more experience using GPO, String Quartetts sound find but when I have a string orch it doesn´t seem to sound quite so good as some of the deomos I´ve heard so I´m surely doing something wrong .
    Do you know if there are any tutorials that I should read? Regarding the GPO hand book, it´s disappointing of not useless to say the least, I wrote to Gary Garritan and told him the same (no response), surely such a programme should have at least a 60 page hand book with all the do´s and dont´s and how one makes the strings sing. Thanks again for your advice, any tutorial info would be most welcome. Many thanks Fongi
    Fongi,

Go to the Garritan website, and there you can find several tutorials - one specifically for ensemble building. There is a lot of experimenting one can do, but the results can be very satisfying. As an example, I had a four voice work for strings; using the full strings didn't give the sound I wanted, so I built the following ensemble: 3 1st violins, 3 2nd violins, 2 violas, 3 cellos, and the full strings for each part, as well - 15 parts in all. With each part, the dynamics were a little different, attacks changed so they were not precise and uniform - in other words, to sound more realistically. It was a lot of work, but the result was worth it - at least I thinkso .

There are a lot of other things one can do, especially with a sequencer ( I use notation) - read the tutorial and have fun!

R. Pearl

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You may be missing the .pdf manual. It is on the website and is 106 pages long. If you installed the update to GPO, there is also a 21 page addendum that comes with that. The update manual can be found here:

http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html

It is the sixth item down the page. The "Complete Guide to Garritan Personal Orchestra", I believe was installed on your computer where you first installed GPO (the file where GPO resides ).

I hope this helps.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the help. Fongi

Go Back to forum