• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale and percussion writing prob

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Finale and percussion writing prob

Alright, I don't have the latest and greatest Finale 2006 with GPO. I have Finale 2002 and GPO. I have been able to work out almost everything so that I get the sounds I want at the volumes I want it much of Finale. I have set up templates with dynamics changed from velocity to cc#1. What I can't get is any sound when using a percussion score (that is: any instruments that use percussion clef and staves). Is it that Finale doesn't send midi pitch information to GPO correctly from drum clef/stave or am I doing something wrong? It would be a shame to have to write all the music using Bass clef with 5 staves to get a sound from GPO and then having to convert them all to percussion clef/stave for real players!

Any Suggestions "Oh Magic Forum"
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Finale and percussion writing prob

Staff > Edit Staff Attributes >

"Notation Style"... Select.

I'll take a wild guess that the above might just get you there.

Lemme know.

David

I did try that and it did not change the notation to standard. I used the wizard to set up the lines and I have a feeling that it is a default setup that can't be changed. I could set each clef myself, put in the notes where GPO will read them for each percussion instrument, then re-write the part for real drummers. That seems like too much effort on manuscripting that should be spent in creative writing!

Alas it may be that Finale 2002 has the problem that is fixed in Finale 2005 or 2006. I hope it is just that I'm missing something about percussion clef and will end up saying "DOH!" when I find out.

Rich

In Finale 2002, yes, I believe you would have to set up manually.

In Finale 2006(C), what I use, there are canned setups included that correspond to the Garritan percussion.

Best,

David.

Rich,

Do you want the part for the percussion to be a staff with five lines or one line - I am not sure...

If it is a standard staff you want to use with a percussion clef, then you need to look at "percussion mapping" in Finale. In this dialogue box, you can define the note shape for each pitch and then which midi not pitch is sent for each written pitch. GPO percussion uses a different mapping to general midi, so you cannot use the default.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Richard N. and David:

Thanks, I will check into percussion mapping in Finale.

To answer your question:
    Do you want the part for the percussion to be a staff with five lines or one line - I am not sure...
    I want to write it as a percussion would want it (one line staff for non-melodic instruments). But as it stands now, that will not work using GPO instruments. (I chose the GPO Studio 'Percussion' from [FILE - NEW - PERCUSSION] menu.

I found that if I set up Finale myself with each non-melodic percussion instrument in the bass clef, then I put notes in that clef where they are found in their respective keyboard range in KONTAKT, I will get the sounds from the instruments. But some of those ranges are in the C0 to C1 range and that is well below the bass clef. No drummer I know would want to look at all those leger lines! Okay, I'm lazy, I don't want to write it twice...once for GPO and once for percussionists.

Again thanks for the heads up on percussion mapping. I will spend some time today looking into that aspect of Finale.

Rich

Go Back to forum