• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: White Grand 2006 - What would you like?

Share/Bookmark

White Grand 2006 - What would you like?

I'm thinking about making a new White Grand 2006. Using the same piano, same miking but doing it TBO style, that is, with a massive 93 samples/note.

I think that the 93 samples/note, as I used in TBO, worked so great, that I would like to apply that to a piano llike WG.
    Now, If I where to do this, would you have any other requests? I guess this question goes to WG users, but all opinions are welcome!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: White Grand 2006 - What would you like?

- 88 sampled notes (even with little less than 93 samples/notes...)
    - Recorded impulses for body res.
    - White grand like version + natural Malmsjo version (raw samples, no Eq.)
    - Upgrade path
    - reduction coupon to buy new HD

Talking Re: White Grand 2006 - What would you like?

What would I like?
    - player position (from the bench) for TBO and WHITE GRAND
    - VST version for TBO and WHITE GRAND to use them live with receptor!

Hi Worra

I am going to post everything that comes to my mind, and you can take it for what its worth.

1) 3 mic positions, close, stage, and Ambient just gives the player more flexibility. (Simlar to EWQLSO Platinum micing)

2) Recording style preset NKI's, Gig's etc (Similar to Art Vista VGP), to make it sound as close to the signature sound of different artists. (I've used NKi's and Presets, interchangeablety, but you know what I mean)

3) A really good collection of darker Presets (Nki's, etc) for classical work, something that can stand on its own for solo works. (I've always found that its easier to make a brighter piano sound darker by use of eq and filters, than Vice versa)

4) Nice set of body impulses for the piano.

5) Great Crossgrade offers for registered users.

If I can think of anymore, I'll post it.
    - Its just hard to improve something as Incredible as the WG -

Lightbulb Re: White Grand 2006 - What would you like?

Hi Worra, Great idea! You certainly can count me in on it....

I can just come up with one suggestion and that is to put some extra care in the tuning during the sampling process, and particularly that of the upper octaves.

I think the current White is really great, but some keys in the upper 2 octaves are out of tune 'within the strings' so to speak....

Can't wait to hear the results!

Rob

Hi,

here some suggestions

1) think about not recording the pedal down samples in favour of sampling every note and working together with Kornel Mezo in order to incooperate his resonance scripts. (I'm using your libraries with PU+Release samples only + the PSR scripts and like them best that way)

2) kindly ask NI when they plan to add this "Layer Morphing Technique" used in the Akoustik Piano to the normal Kontakt 2 program

3) consider to additionally/alternatively make something like a "Black Grand Ambient 2006", a TBO++ish Steinway that's recorded to be suitable for classical music would be sooooo great!

Greetings,
    NothanUmber

Quote Originally Posted by NothanUmber
    kindly ask NI when they plan to add this "Layer Morphing Technique" used in the Akoustik Piano to the normal Kontakt 2 program
    I wonder if this is really necessary with 31 layers...that's a different sample every 4 velocity values...
    consider to additionally/alternatively make something like a "Black Grand Ambient 2006", a TBO++ish Steinway that's recorded to be suitable for classical music would be sooooo great!
    I second that...or perhaps, how about a Boesendorfer? (you might wanna wait on the Steinway to see what Gary does with the "official" Steinway )...
    The WG is really meant to be used in a pop/rock mix, and I'm not sure how much of a difference all those additional velocity layers would make in that context...and with TBO you already have a rather bright sounding mega-layer piano in your product line.
    Just my 2 cents, of course!

Cheers,

matto

Quote Originally Posted by NothanUmber
    1) think about not recording the pedal down samples in favour of sampling every note and working together with Kornel Mezo in order to incooperate his resonance scripts. (I'm using your libraries with PU+Release samples only + the PSR scripts and like them best that way)
    Another vote for sampling every notes...
    Better to keep pedal down samples however, to fit everybody needs/taste.
    I'm also using Kornel script the way Nothan describes, but *sometimes* (depending on the piano), I like keeping pedal down samples together with the script (with adjusted settings). I'm doing this because pedal down samples capture strings resonance AND the global damper-free frame resonance (which is not emulated by kornel script).
    I believe that a perfect pedal down emulation would require kornel approach for string resonance + specific convolution for "frame resonance"...I haven't seen this yet.
    Beside, I'm still not convinced by convolution-only approach for damper emulation, so Pedal Down notes are still good to sample...

Back to 88 notes sampling : There is a obvious tradeoff between sampling a lot of layers and sampling every notes. Does anyboby have opinion about this ? What is the most important ?

As long as its authorized, it should be good.

steve

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    Back to 88 notes sampling : There is a obvious tradeoff between sampling a lot of layers and sampling every notes. Does anyboby have opinion about this ? What is the most important ?
    Well, there is no doubt in my mind that TBO plays like a dream.

So, I am leaning towards layers. I, too, prefer actual pedal downs to convolved pedal downs, even if it means the behavioral aspects are not as accurate. One can always convolve the pedal ups as an alternative if both are recorded. The reverse situation is not true, of course.

I saw a request for player perspective. Personally, that makes my stomach tie up in a knot...so I hope player perspective would not be considered as an only option. I find that to be one of the least useful mic plots when trying to fit a piano into a mix (although I do understand how it feels very "enveloping" to play from a performing standpoint).

Go Back to forum