• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO String Trio- opinions sought!!

Share/Bookmark

GPO String Trio- opinions sought!!

I know I shouldn't post something this rough but I really want to see what people think. I've been asked by the string trio that our band works with on a regular basis to write some music for an album project. My intention was/is to write something cool and fairly modern but I had an idea today and ran with it. It's unashamedly 18th century. This is a first draft; the piece needs work and editing. Some transitions aren't good and the repeat needs more variation and development.
    I haven't done much with the GPO solo strings and my!! --they sound great. This file isn't for performance feel, it's just to generate the sheet music so no different articulations are programmed in. Also, none of the turns, trills and embellishments are played.

Now, here's my big question- does anyone feel there's a place for a piece like this (I would make the last movement of a complete Trio) in today's world or is it just a hollow pastiche of music that's been done by people with infinitely more talent than me??? Should I drop it and just get on with something more contemporary and (hopefully) more original?? Does this just sound like some music major's theory class composition??

EDIT- link is now to a revised version that fixes a few compositional issues, though there are still about 4 spots I want to tweak still.
    FILE:
    http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...nd%20Draft.mp3

Re: GPO String Trio- opinions sought!!

Wow... excellent work on this Fred!

The writing is very well done, and I much enjoyed listening.

As for your question, I like to think there's a place for any music that's done so well.

I'd definitely have to give this one a...

Bravo!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I agree with David. This is a well constructed piece. Passe is a term for contemporary critics that are only looking for new (and not always good) directions in music. Music comes from the heart and soul of the composer. If it feels right for you (the composer) and the piece works in its construction (compositional technigue) then it's a good piece of music no matter what the style is. And this piece works in the style presented and is orchestrated very nicely. Thanks for the listen. I hope to hear a live performance of this some time.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks, you guys have given me a real boost!! Keep your fingers crossed, at some point in the future there should be a "real" recording of the final product (if it turns out to be playable *lol* It may be a rather difficult piece in spots...)

Reminds me of Wendy Carlos' Switched on Bach--or the soundtrack from Clockwork Orange. Nice contrapuntal writing.

this was very nice!

The structure is solid....certainly true to form.
    And a great rough draft!.... with a bit of polish i can easily imagine it rival works of that period.

terrific!

~jeff

Thanks!! I do hear echoes of the end of the Third Brandenberg in places. I loved S-O-B since I was a kid; it must have sunk in!! *lol*

I just changed the link to a newer version I did today. It's getting close; a few problems have been fixed but there are still some places that are clunky. I know what to do though, I just need to go over it one more time.

Well, I liked it. That is coming from a more modern, post romantic, composer. The structure and counterpoint is excellent. I wish I had the patience to write more formal. It is hard not to go off into different tangents with themes and get carried away. The only thing I would suggest would be to "play" with the themes more in orchestration to vary them towards the end. Maybe have the lower strings take center stage for a bit. But that's just me... This is a great piece of compositional detail. I'm sure it will be performed... the talent is there.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    [SIZE=1]The only thing I would suggest would be to "play" with the themes more in orchestration to vary them towards the end. Maybe have the lower strings take center stage for a bit.
    I totally agree. I started a bit of that in the revision but it needs more. Thanks for the encouragment!!

This is a great piece of music. Very well written, I think.

Where this should fit in the 21st century society is another question. I think there should be some room for it. Though this implementation is fine as it is and I enjoyed it though there is some room for improvement (adding some reverb etc.) But maybe some amateur (or professional) players want to play it. On the other hand, I would not surprise if many others out there prefer listning Mozart or Haydn opuses to this piece.

Not all the modern music lovers only spend time with so-called atonal "modern" music. I think there should be space for this kind music even today. Anytime, also, you can apply this technique to some more "original" music.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast