• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chicken News: Stradivarius found above chicken coop

Share/Bookmark

Chicken News: Stradivarius found above chicken coop

From a report at ananova
    An elderly Hungarian is set to become a millionaire after finding a priceless Stradivarius violin hidden above his chicken coop.

Imre Horvath, 68, makes a living from the poultry and egss he sells from his home on a smallholding, near Debrecen.

He believes the violin was hidden in the roof space by his musician father, Zoltan, before he went off to fight in the war.

Zoltan was killed in the war and never had a chance to tell his family where the instrument was hidden, reports Debreceni Napelo.

He built the house in the 1920s and lived there with his family until he was called up to fight, and never returned.

Imre said he had no use for the instrument, and had taken it to an expert in Debrecen to have it valued because it looked like it was particularly good quality.

He said: "They were very excited - but sent me to the capital to have their findings checked, and they confirmed the violin was made by the famous 17th century Italian instrument maker Antonio Stradivari.

"I was delighted but then terrified because I have nowhere I can keep the violin in my little house, I just want to sell it as soon as possible and put the money in the bank. Then I can relax."

Only about 650 genuine Stradivarius violins are believed to exist today and one recently sold in the US for more than £1million.

Cool Re: Chicken News: Stradivarius found above chicken coop

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    From a report at ananova
    An elderly Hungarian is set to become a millionaire after finding a priceless Stradivarius violin hidden above his chicken coop.

Imre Horvath, 68, makes a living from the poultry and egss he sells from his home on a smallholding, near Debrecen.

He believes the violin was hidden in the roof space by his musician father, Zoltan, before he went off to fight in the war.

Zoltan was killed in the war and never had a chance to tell his family where the instrument was hidden, reports Debreceni Napelo.

He built the house in the 1920s and lived there with his family until he was called up to fight, and never returned.

Imre said he had no use for the instrument, and had taken it to an expert in Debrecen to have it valued because it looked like it was particularly good quality.

He said: "They were very excited - but sent me to the capital to have their findings checked, and they confirmed the violin was made by the famous 17th century Italian instrument maker Antonio Stradivari.

"I was delighted but then terrified because I have nowhere I can keep the violin in my little house, I just want to sell it as soon as possible and put the money in the bank. Then I can relax."

Only about 650 genuine Stradivarius violins are believed to exist today and one recently sold in the US for more than £1million.

WOW, cool. It's like a movie!

It remembers me of the "Canon Inversus" script, great book and great movie...(even if not made in Hollywood )

Re: Chicken News: Stradivarius found above chicken coop

And they say there's no money in chicken farming...

D.

sweetness!...so the other day, my cousin calls from philly and said he met this guy outside of a holiday inn with a really cool, contemporary looking violin, and he played really well too (he even took the violin out of the case and played a bit for him)...i asked him, did you get his name? - and he says, yeah, his name was Josh - like you, that's how i remembered, he said he put out a few CDs...so i asked if he got his last name - so he says, yeah, i think it was Bell or something of course, my cousin would have no idea who Joshua Bell is - i told him, Joshua Bell is world famous and was the featured soloist in The Red Violin soundtrack..."OH YEAH???!!" haha...and the other day, my cousin saw Mr. Bell on the Style Network with the very same violin he showed him...

funny story, thought i'd share

Sometimes it works the other way around.

My wife's great, great aunt was a famous violinist, born in 1896, who toured internationally.

http://annarae.com/violinhome.html

My wife's older sister inherited the violin pictured when she was a little girl. Later her parents divorced, mom and the family were broke, and they sold the violin to a dealer in the L. A. area so they could pay the rent. Shortly thereafter, the dealer retired.

I don't think it was a Strad, but it was certainly a fine instrument with an interesting history.

I'd love to know where it is now...

-JF

Talking Re: Chicken News: Stradivarius found above chicken coop

There's a little known true story about Antonio Stradivari when he was an apprentice learning how to make instruments. After four long years of apprenticeship Antonio Stradivari's mentor The Master Guitar maker Leonardo DiStringy had one last test for Stradivari before he can become a true master luthier. He had to make a fine guitar out of what little supplies the master gave him.
    Antonio wanting to impress the master and to be a master luthier himself, started working on his guitar day and night for several months. One day, the Master Leonardo DiStringy called Antonio Stradivari out of the shop and said, "Let's see whata youa havea duna!" (he talks like my grandfather ). Antonio was sweating and nervous as one could be knowing full well he had such limited supplies to work with. Antonio handed a small box to Leonardo DiStringy. The master luthier looked up and said to Antonio, "Wata ezz thisa?" (just like my grandfather ) It'sa my guitarrra! (roll the "r") Thisa! Thisa ezza ... (OK, I can't write Italian anymore so I'll just get back to the story) He says he goes he went he says he goes ... "This is no guitar! It's too small and it only has four strings and the bridge is too high! There's no frets and the neck is too short! What have you done here Antonio you have disgraced me and made a mockery of my craftsmanship! You have made a mockery of my teachings!" Antonio looked down with a sad face and started to explain to the master Leonardo DiStringy there wasn't enough wood and other parts and supplies to make a decent size guitar so he tried to make a miniature one. Leonardo got furious and walked out of his farm house with the instrument grasped tightly in his right hand. "Go in the barn to the chicken coop. There you will find a hole in the ceiling. Put this, this, thing in the hole in the ceiling and repair the hole before someone finds out what you have done!
    Antonio took the small instrument and did exactly what the master Leonardo DiStringy ordered him to do. When he was finished with repairing the ceiling he spread some hay and other matter (we won't get into it) over the area so no one could suspect.
    As the two walked together back to the farm house the master Leonardo DiStringy asked Antonio Stradivari a question. He asked, he says he goes he went he asked, "Antonio, I knew you tried the best you could under the circumstances and I am proud of you regardless. By the way, did you have a name for your miniature guitar?" Yes Antonio Stradivari replied. "Then please, what was this name?" "Violini, he said sadly yet proudly." "Huh!" reacted the master luthier Leonardo DiStringy. "Then it's a good thing you hid that violini thingy before someone saw it or we may have been the laughing stock of the town." "Yes master Leonardo DiStringy. Do I still get my master luthier status, master Leonardo DiStringy?" "Yes my apprentice you are now a full fledged master guitar luthier but I never want to see such an abomination ever again."
    So, that's the true story of how Antonio Stradivari made and unfortunately lost his first true violin. After he broke away from the master luthier Leonardo DiStringy, Antonio Stradivari opened his own shop. But he could never afford enough for wood and supplies to make full size guitars. For the rest of his life he was destined to make the finest violini in the world unbeknown to himself or his wife, Antoinette DiStringy Stradivari.
    Yes, he married Leonardo Distringy's daughter but that's another lesser known or talked about tales. Why do you think they had a barn with a chicken coop on a master Luthier's estate?

Talking Re: Chicken News: Stradivarius found above chicken coop

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Great one, Styxx!!
    My grandfather talks like that too.

-Chris

Go Back to forum