• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem with Sonar 5 and GS3 in rewire mode

Share/Bookmark

Problem with Sonar 5 and GS3 in rewire mode

I'm using Sonar 5 and GS3 in rewire mode. There seems to be a glitch occuring somewhere in my start-up order.

Scenario 1:
    I start Sonar without a project, Sonar indicates that it receives midi data from my Yamaha keyboard.
    I start GS3 and load my performance in GS3 (at this stages GS3 runs in stand-alone mode). I can audition the sounds using the GS3 keyboard but not when playing my Yamaha keyboard. Sonar still indicates that it receives midi data from my Yamaha keyboard.
    I load my project in Sonar which loads also a VST instrument that is in the project.
    Gigastudio runs now in rewire mode but doesn't produce sound. Sonar still indicates that it receives data from my Yamaha keyboard.

Scenario 2:
    I start Sonar with a project that includes a VST instrument. I launch GS3 from within Sonar. GS3 starts in rewire mode. I try to load my performance in GS3 but receive loading errors. Sonar indicates that it receives midi data.

Scenario 3:
    I start GS3 in stand-alone mode and load my performance. I can audition the sounds with my Yamaha keyboard. I start Sonar and load my project. GS3 runs now in rewire mode but doesn't receive midi data - no sound. Sonar indicates that it does not receive midi data.

Is there some sort of logical way to start up the programs? Am I overlooking something?

Thanks for helping,

Mark

Re: Problem with Sonar 5 and GS3 in rewire mode

This is how I do it:
    1. First start Sonar
    2. Open GS3 and load the samples you want.
    3. Create midi tracks (in Sonar) and assign the channel number corresponding to the sample needed (track/channel number within GS3)

the next steps are the ones mentioned in the last thread you started [but make sure to set the output to 'GigaOut Port 1 / Control' on each track].
    This should work for standalone mode.

Does this help?

should be something like scenario 2. Start sonar, insert the rewire instrument (gigastudio 3), load up gigastudio, save the sonar project including the rewired instrument. Scenario 1 and 3 don't work for rewire.

Yes, scenario 2 should work. ... it receives midi data, but can you hear anything?

[inserting rewire GS3 auto-loads GigaStudio3]

Quote Originally Posted by MindToAsk
    Yes, scenario 2 should work. ... it receives midi data, but can you hear anything?

[inserting rewire GS3 auto-loads GigaStudio3]
    I admit it, my IQ is obviously below 0. I just spend two hours trying to figure out why it wasn't working (it was working yesterday).

Just now I spotted that the master bus wasn't routed to my sound card although I have no idea why it changed (I've been working on this song yesterday).

Thanks guys for the help and my apologies for the trouble,

Mark

PS: Scenario 2 is indeed the correct one

Go Back to forum