• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: I think most of us already have everything we need?

Share/Bookmark

I think most of us already have everything we need?

This notion was prompted by the thought that I can't remember a more dull NAMM with so few exciting new products.

Perhaps there are less advances to be made now.....it's certainly going to be a case of diminishing returns......and like most other things a case of bolting on extra 'features' which we don't really need......

Perhaps the Frankfurt Musik Messe will be more exciting?......I guess that the days of heady excitement over the release of a new sound module (or WHY) and the first decent sampled orchestra etc. can never be repeated.......sigh.....

Frank

Re: I think most of us already have everything we need?

Hmm.... I think there's lots of ground yet to be covered, and soon - especially what with the whole buzz around scripting and sonic morphing developments. It seems more like a calm before the storm, and we'll just have to wait for developers to come up with the next wave of ideas, not to mention waiting for computer hardware to catch up to where we're at right now. In fact this is why I've been reluctant to purchase anything in the last few months; I'm basically fine with what I have now, and the next new thing can't be too far off.

It's kinda like in kung fu movies where there's a big brawl outside, and there's that little guy who just stands there looking bad@$$, but you keep watching for him because he hasn't done anything yet, and you know it's gonna be good.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Personally I hope that things continue to progress, and things get to a point where an individual can make genuine sounding music. But that's because I'm probably never going to do it as anything more than a hobby, and I would love for my music to sound real

But 'm not sure if it's in the interests of everybody for this to happen. I can see there being a point where film directors can't tell the difference between sample-based music and the real thing. And even if they can, they may well realise that, with half the audiences attention on dialogue, sound effects and the picture, they can get away with the sample based version.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I disagree very much. We're still at the stage where computers are just imitating acoustic/physical instruments. We've barely taken the first baby steps towards realizing unique musicality based upon the technology.

Things always get stuck at the imitative stage with every technological breakthrough. The only reason we've been stuck so long at the imitative stage in this particular technology cycle is simply that the cycles are coming closer together, and sustaining the interest.

Eventually, the imitative aspect is going to reach its theoretical limit, people will again become bored, and the technology will start to actually have its own legs. By all evidence, we are seeming to now be approaching that initial boredom stage. Godspeed, I say. There is so much potential waiting to be tapped.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    But 'm not sure if it's in the interests of everybody for this to happen. I can see there being a point where film directors can't tell the difference between sample-based music and the real thing. And even if they can, they may well realise that, with half the audiences attention on dialogue, sound effects and the picture, they can get away with the sample based version.
    Personally, I don't care.

Film accounts for one red-c-hair's width of the overall realm of music. It's a drop in the ocean; both in importance, and in how a musician can earn a living in this world.

But as long as we're only considering "sounding real" as the bar that computer music has to reach...then it is going to be the equivalent of 15,000 nerds trying to bang a cheerleader. The nerds will NEVER bang the cheerleader, and if by some freak accident one of them trips and his penis actually lands inside her, he'll discover that she's probably not as hot in the sack as he'd imagined, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    This notion was prompted by the thought that I can't remember a more dull NAMM with so few exciting new products.

Perhaps there are less advances to be made now.....it's certainly going to be a case of diminishing returns......and like most other things a case of bolting on extra 'features' which we don't really need......

Perhaps the Frankfurt Musik Messe will be more exciting?......I guess that the days of heady excitement over the release of a new sound module (or WHY) and the first decent sampled orchestra etc. can never be repeated.......sigh.....

Frank
    After last Summer NAMM's girlie guitars, everything pales in comparison.

There's a great deal of work being done behind the scenes and developers are in incubation mode. We're working on some great things and other developers are as well. There are fundamental innovations taking place, platforms and OSs changes (MacIntel and Vista), and alliances being formed - all of which will shape the future of music technology. Stay tuned. The best is still yet to come.

Gary Garritan

I've been keeping my eyes on music sampling for a few years, and haven't been too impressed, until the Gary's Stradivari Violin came along. That, along with scripting possibilities (as Thomas J. has demonstrated), shows that there is a new standard for expressive instruments in real time. Now, the strad isn't perfect (It sounds pretty cool to me), but things can only get better from here.

I think this topic forks off into two directions:

1) Music technology will continue to progress. In five years the current crop will seem stone aged, but...

2) With a PC, a good soundcard, a few hundred bucks, talent and inspiration, one has everything they need to make great music today.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I think this topic forks off into two directions:

1) Music technology will continue to progress. In five years the current crop will seem stone aged, but...

2) With a PC, a good soundcard, a few hundred bucks, talent and inspiration, one has everything they need to make great music today.

-JF
    Jon, Thanks for clarifying. With regards to #2, many musicians may have most everything they need to make good music. Kind of like word processing. There were years of new products and features, followed by a maturity in the marketplace and feature bloat. Today, many have all they need in word processors and then some.

What we have seen in the past couple of years is the democratization of music technology. Innovation and lower prices is a trend is all aspects of technology but perhaps we are reaching a saturation point.

Nevertheless, the wheels of innovation keep rolling.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    What we have seen in the past couple of years is the democratization of music technology. Innovation and lower prices is a trend is all aspects of technology but perhaps we are reaching a saturation point.
    Gary Garritan
    Pricing is a key issue now. The quality lines are now getting blurred. Therefore, it's natural that users will start to look very closely at like-for-like products in terms of pricing/value/ease-of-use.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast