• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt 2 in Logic Pro, multimode volume change???

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt 2 in Logic Pro, multimode volume change???

Hi all....
    I've read a few threads in various places but still not resolved this problem.

I've been using Kontakt 2 for a while now and it works a treat in logic. However I decided to tidy things up and create a couple of multis for Kontakt to save opening loads of instances.

Unfortunately Logic and Kontakt aren't allowing me to send volume data to each channel independently, any volume data is recorded as master volume data. So after checking it out I proceeded to use expression (cc 11) instead of volume.

I cabled up 16 sliders in my environment sending cc11 to each individual part in the multi. Now it should work but kontakt wont respond to cc 11. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have got this sorted. Please help me out here, this is driving me nuts and I'm pretty sure I'm missing something glaringly obvious as usual, put me out of my misery...please....

Re: Kontakt 2 in Logic Pro, multimode volume change???

Managed to sort it out. Within Kontakt edited individual patches to accept cc11 as volume.... Big thanks to Stephan Sippel at NI for his detailed and prompt email explaining things... Here's the email he sent for anyone else in the same boat:

do you have assigned MIDI CC11 as \"external source\" for modulation to the volume knob in the amplifier module of the instruments?

- you have to do this in each instrument in your multi, by default no instrument has assigned CC11 to volume naturally

- you can easily assign MIDI CC11 to this knob in the following way:

open the instrument for editing
    open the group editor, make sure that the edit all button is pressed

find the amplifier module, click on its modulation button lower left corner
    the modulations show up
    where it says \"add modulator\" add : external source->MIDI CC

this modulator appears then. in the first numerical field of thhis modul set the CC number (11), in thhe second set the default value (which is used when the instrument is loaded), then set the slider to 100% (full right), the smooth parameter can be set to 0 (as the volume slider itself is already smoothed of course, otherwise there would be crackling every time you adjust the volume....)

done. Save the instrument.

Would you be willing to share your environment file? I've had the same problem but haven't had the patience and knowledge toexecute what you just outlined.

thanks
    Todd Kasow

Yes, I would love to see your environment file also. It would help alot.

Al

I'd be happy to share the relavent files. If you can give me your contacts I will send you a detailed step by step screen shot walkthrough. The bottom line is that no changes need to be made to the Logic environment. All the changes can be done inside the Kontakt Multi, it works perfectly......hoorah, I know the frustration this causes. Contact me @ musobri@....com. I'm not going to type the last 3 letters as I'll be spammed to death in no time, what comes after apple? and the song "... the knife" or " old ...donald had a farm".....erm no..

Cheers

Bri

Oh so Happy!!
    Brain- I've do a mod to your set up that for me simplifies things greatly. I appreciate it if you would replicate it and see if I've overlooked anything.

What I've done is use a transformer patched between the multi instrument and the audio instument to change cc7 (volume) to cc17(any free cc will do)) and cc10 (pan) to cc20. Then in kontakt I assign from the auto/midi section cc17 to the volume controller on the instrument header (not down in the modulation which was wrecking havoc on certain heavily programmed instruments). Then the same thing for the pan - cc20 to the pan fader in the instrument header. By doing this I can get individual working faders from the arrange window instead of faders inside of an environment.
    The fade on the header does not move but it still works......and actually provides another gain structure (you actually end up with 3 -audio instrument, midi cc, and instrument header fader.)
    The info for the transformation I got here
    http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopi...hlight=kontakt

The rest I thought up because I'm on a heavy dose of cold medicine.

Thanks so much for your invaluble help.

Todd K-v2

Quote Originally Posted by musobri
    I'd be happy to share the relavent files. If you can give me your contacts I will send you a detailed step by step screen shot walkthrough. The bottom line is that no changes need to be made to the Logic environment. All the changes can be done inside the Kontakt Multi, it works perfectly......hoorah, I know the frustration this causes. Contact me @ musobri@....com. I'm not going to type the last 3 letters as I'll be spammed to death in no time, what comes after apple? and the song "... the knife" or " old ...donald had a farm".....erm no..

Cheers

Bri

The same method of using the transformer works for EWQLSO Kompakt too.
    Just reassign cc7 to cc11.

Todd

Smile Re: Kontakt 2 in Logic Pro, multimode volume change???

Cheers Mxman, I havn't tested yet but using transformers seems an ideal way of doing things.
    I'll sort it out and let you know how I get on.

Thanks very much.

Bri

Go Back to forum