• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Dyed in the Wool Finale user w Sibelius 4 question

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Dyed in the Wool Finale user w Sibelius 4 question

    I am very comfortable using Finale and yet, because I teach in an institution where many many students have opted for the 'easier' program, I have purchased Siblelius 4 so that I can help them with projects and not keep saying, "well, in Finale, this is what I do"

    So far I'm not overly impresssed with Sibelius, but I am willing to stick it out...for the cause. Can someone enlighten as to the Kontakt Silver vs Gold issue?

    I own full versions of GPO a Kontakt 2 (upgraded). Do i still need to get a third or fourth version of Kontakt player in order to use Sibelius with GPO?

    Thanks

    Paul

    Slightly miffed at having to learn a second program when i already use the best there is.....aaaaaargh/

    P
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

  2. #2

    Re: Dyed in the Wool Finale user w Sibelius 4 question

    Must add that it appears I need a separate version of GPO and Kontakt player to use within Sibelius. Can anyone confirm my worst expectations?

    Paul

    (Again I already own GPO full version and JABB and Kontakt 2)
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

  3. #3
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Dyed in the Wool Finale user w Sibelius 4 question

    Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    Must add that it appears I need a separate version of GPO and Kontakt player to use within Sibelius. Can anyone confirm my worst expectations?

    Paul

    (Again I already own GPO full version and JABB and Kontakt 2)
    Paul,

    You can run GPO studio, and have Sibelius recognize it as one of the Playback Devices. Or, you can get the crossgrade, which will install another version of Kontakt (sorry) that can have up to 32 slots - maybe that's what the Gold version is, now that I think of it. But you don't need another version of GPO - you just need the program that allows Sibelius to "talk" to GPO.
    If you opt for GPO, playing back the GPO Studio, you have to insert all your MIDI commands; if you use the Crossgrade, all your dynamics, arco, pizz, etc playback with no additional commands. But dont' shell out for another full version of GPO - you'll just need to copy (copy, not move) your .nks files to the right place so Sibelius can find them. It all works pretty easily. If you have GPO, and Sib 4, I think all it will cost is $49 (someone please correct me if I am wrong).
    Let me know if there is any way I can help.

    R. Pearl

  4. #4

    Re: Dyed in the Wool Finale user w Sibelius 4 question

    I believe Silver and Gold refer to EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Silver/Gold Edition.

  5. #5

    Re: Dyed in the Wool Finale user w Sibelius 4 question

    No, not in this case. Sibelius has special Sibelius only plug ins called Kontakt Player Silver (comes with Sibelius) and Kontakt Player Gold (an add on).

    Matthew

  6. #6

    Re: Dyed in the Wool Finale user w Sibelius 4 question

    Hi

    Thanks. Can you clarify if 'crossgrade' means I bought the wrong version of Sibelius? Or if by upgrading to GOLD version of Kontack I can use the GPO without having to insert all MIDI commands manually.

    I just purchased Sibleius 4 without knowing about crossgrade. At least I got the educational priced version

    Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Paul,

    You can run GPO studio, and have Sibelius recognize it as one of the Playback Devices. Or, you can get the crossgrade, which will install another version of Kontakt (sorry) that can have up to 32 slots - maybe that's what the Gold version is, now that I think of it. But you don't need another version of GPO - you just need the program that allows Sibelius to "talk" to GPO.
    If you opt for GPO, playing back the GPO Studio, you have to insert all your MIDI commands; if you use the Crossgrade, all your dynamics, arco, pizz, etc playback with no additional commands. But dont' shell out for another full version of GPO - you'll just need to copy (copy, not move) your .nks files to the right place so Sibelius can find them. It all works pretty easily. If you have GPO, and Sib 4, I think all it will cost is $49 (someone please correct me if I am wrong).
    Let me know if there is any way I can help.

    R. Pearl
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

  7. #7

    Re: Dyed in the Wool Finale user w Sibelius 4 question

    Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    Hi

    Thanks. Can you clarify if 'crossgrade' means I bought the wrong version of Sibelius? Or if by upgrading to GOLD version of Kontack I can use the GPO without having to insert all MIDI commands manually.

    I just purchased Sibleius 4 without knowing about crossgrade. At least I got the educational priced version

    Paul
    If you own GPO and want to use it within Sibelius without inserting MIDI commands manually and without the need for using GPO Studio, then you need to buy the GPO crossgrade for Sibelius here:
    https://secure.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/...ocrossgrade.pl
    It's a download and costs U$49.
    It will install a Kontakt player that will let you play within Sibelius, GPO, Kontakt Silver (bundled with Sibelius) and Kontakt Gold (if you've purchased these banks too).
    You have to follow some instructions which include moving or copying the GPO NKS files to a specific folder.
    It comes with a well written PDF manual that covers GPO and its use within Sibelius.
    There are some restrictions as to what GPO instruments you can use depending on which sound set you choose in the Playback and Input Devices menu.
    I bought the crossgrade because it seemed well implemented and didn't want to bother to use GPO Studio and do MIDI tweaking within Sibelius. I'm glad that I bought it.
    Serge

  8. #8
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Dyed in the Wool Finale user w Sibelius 4 question

    Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    Hi

    Thanks. Can you clarify if 'crossgrade' means I bought the wrong version of Sibelius? Or if by upgrading to GOLD version of Kontack I can use the GPO without having to insert all MIDI commands manually.

    I just purchased Sibleius 4 without knowing about crossgrade. At least I got the educational priced version

    Paul
    I think - but I'm not sure because I didn't purchase Kontakt Gold - that the Kontakt "engine" is the same. You will need the crossgrade to enable Sibelius to send all the right commands, however. You didn't purchase the wrong thing - you just need one more. I think/hope you will be pleased with the purchase. Two pieces of advice: read the user's guide - it's well written, and you can find answers pretty easily; second, post questions on the Sibelius board (you can post them here) - there is a very knowledgeable and friendly pool of users who can answer your queries, similar to the Finale Forum.

    Good luck.

    R. Pearl

  9. #9

    Thumbs up Re: Dyed in the Wool Finale user w Sibelius 4 question

    Thanks to all for the excellent advice. And I will proceed to the crossgrade. Glad I didn't go Kontakt Gold since who needs a new library when you have BPO and JABB etc.

    Good thread folks.

    THANK YOU

    Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •