• Register
  • Help

Topic: Selecting the kit that matches the multi

Share/Bookmark

Selecting the kit that matches the multi

Hi guys - I'm sure there is a simple solution to this, but I can't find it.

What I want to do is drag the midi file into my sequencer and then have said midi file control the same kit the multi was made from.

So, for example, I'm working with the Timeless multi and midi file, but want the extra control for mixing offered by a kit - seperate outs to cubase SX3 and the like - how do I get those individual sounds from Timeless into kit mode?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

MacFunk.

Re: Selecting the kit that matches the multi

I assume you are talking about stylus rmx, only because you metioned "timeless," I hope that was a correct assumption.

Here goes: The "grooves" aren't made up from the kit sounds, they are made up from a chopped up loops. I think it's possible to find some the sounds from timeless (or any other groove) in kit mode, but they aren't labeled that way, or really meant to be used in that sense.

What you need to do: Use edit groups to specify which output each sound is going to. For example, with a normal drumkit groove in multi mode*, all your snare sounds can go to one edit group, anything with a kick to another group and everything else to a hi hat group (or however you want to do this). Keep in mind that this does not "seperate" the kit, your kick and snare edit groups will still have hihat sounds on them, and your hi hat group will be missing the hihats that fall on the kick and snare, but there are ways of working with this. Now, select the output for each edit group in the edit group window, and you should be good to go! As any RMX pro will tell you, watch ALL of the quicktime videos on edit groups and you should be able to figure it out, hope that helps, good luck!

*The way I worded this originally was kind of confusing

Thanks Thunder - I'd kind of hoped there would be a no compromise required solution as it strikes me as a really obvious function to provide with Stylus RMX.

But, I'll take your advice and go back and re-watch the tutorials. It wont do any harm and maybe I'll find a more elegant solution to what I want to do. If Stylus would offer this, then I could dispense with battery completely.

I'd like to let anyone else interested know that sending those stylus midi-files back to stylus kits can reveal awesome new rythyms and styles to inspire anew.

I still think Stylus RMX is without peer in terms of quality and how it can inspire.

I wouldn't necessarily think of RMX as replacing battery. In kit mode, RMX works similarly to battery, but its not a sampler and maybe not quite as tweakable. Its more like a really nice extra drum sample library included in RMX. If you want the sounds organized, just think of each groove as a kit. Most grooves have hits of every variation, and you can build great sequences by choosing and playing the notes you need.

Bottom line: I have never been able to replicate "real" drums by assembling and layering kick-snare-hihat patterns (not that it can't be done). When you chop up a loop that IS real, you can resequence it and get infinitely better results in my opinion. I guess that's maybe the basic idea behind RMX. Anyway, once you really understand edit groups, you will see how crazy and dope RMX is!

Ok - that's a whole new world for me to explore! Sensational stuff and I' never even knew 'bout it.

Where would I learn how to record the midi generated for all the changes so I can string a whole song together from the parts?

Hi. RMX is not a sampler in so much as YOU can have velocity layers for say a snare. Nor can you do what you mentioned. It is a loop player. And much much more. But you have to enter into it as being a loop player. Then you can expand what you can do. But your first post seems to have me believe you are coming at rmx from a very disapointing angle. It isn't in many ways what you seem to be wanting in your posts regard.I have a few samplers. Too many to post. So I too kind of had a period of time that made me wonder. Just what the heck did I buy? After a while(short) I was able to view things in another way.The rewards are massive.It will take you a bit of time to get your head around it. And then once you think you have it.. WELL then the fun begins. What you thought you knew just falls away and the road opens broader and wider by the day.JON

Hi. OOPS.. Yeah use the dvd that came with rmx. Also many tutorials at the spectrosonic site as well as program spefic tutorials.Go to updates. Enter your name that you used to register and serial number. You will be wisced to the proper area. Scroll down and download the videos you want.. There is also a VERY in depth help file that resides in rmx.. Bottom rite>clik the floppy icon> choose HELP...JON

Wink Re: Selecting the kit that matches the multi

Quote Originally Posted by jonkuzma
    There is also a VERY in depth help file that resides in rmx.. Bottom rite>clik the floppy icon> choose HELP...JON
    Now that is EXACTLY what I needed - thank you!

Also, don't be disappointed about me wanting Stylus to be sampler, too. I love this VST instrument and what I'd really like is for Stylus to meet all of my groove creation needs.

Right now though - it's abundantly clear that I have been loving Stylus and only getting perhaps 20% of what it offers.

I look forward to being delighted anew with things about to be discovered. As a bass player - I can't even begin to tell you how much fun jamming with Stylus is

Quote Originally Posted by MacFunk
    I look forward to being delighted anew with things about to be discovered. As a bass player - I can't even begin to tell you how much fun jamming with Stylus is
    I've just worked through the Cubase SX3 video regarding seperate outs and automation. And I'd like to say...

WOW

It's like a dream come true. Who needs dreams of nights with La Jolie when Stylus is in your life...?

ok...ok...i've taken that too far...

Quote Originally Posted by MacFunk
    Also, don't be disappointed about me wanting Stylus to be sampler, too. I love this VST instrument and what I'd really like is for Stylus to meet all of my groove creation needs.

If you get propellerheads recycle, and put in some work in, RMX is a very cool and different sampler, but easily capable of most sampler functions and much more.

Go Back to forum