• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Computer

Share/Bookmark

Question New Computer

I started this thread in the GPO forum that I now believe will suit this forum very well.

OK, so I got this new computer that I put together meself, got windows XP pro installed and all works fine, except for two main issues:
    1.) My Delta 44's drivers don't seem to want to install.
    2.) I have two hard drives (sample and system) and both are fine when I run the hardware troubleshooter, but there's only one drive "C". No other hard drives when I go into windows explorer.

Any help on these will be of great appreciation!

-Chris

Re: New Computer

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    I started this thread in the GPO forum that I now believe will suit this forum very well.

OK, so I got this new computer that I put together meself, got windows XP pro installed and all works fine, except for two main issues:
    1.) My Delta 44's drivers don't seem to want to install.
    2.) I have two hard drives (sample and system) and both are fine when I run the hardware troubleshooter, but there's only one drive "C". No other hard drives when I go into windows explorer.

Any help on these will be of great appreciation!

-Chris
    Hi Chris, I had to re-format my second hard drive(audio and samples) just recently right after I re-installed windows on my system-drive. Maybe you too will have to re-format your sample-hard drive before you can use it...?

When I put together my current computer a year ago, I tried to use the same system hard drive I used with my old computer, but I had to format it and re-install windows xp first... The new hardware simply refused to boot with my hard-drive until I formatted it. I have no idea why this is so...

I'm no computer expert, mind you! If I were you, I would wait and see what the other people around here could tell you about this matter... I guess many of them have encountered similar problems before.

Ciao

Chris

Hi Chris,

The key to managing your disks in Windows is the Disk Management tool.

1) Right-click My Computer
    2) Select "Manage". The Computer Management window should open
    3) In the "Storage" folder, click Disk Management. You should now see information about your disks and drives on the right side.

The top section shows your drive information. The bottom shows your disks. Disks are physical hard drives. Disks can have multiple partitions. Formatted partitions are drives, like the C: drive, D: drive and so on.

The lower right section should show Disk 0, Disk 1 and CD-ROM 0, assuming two hard drives and a CD/DVD device. It will also show the partitions, and if they are formatted and assigned drive letters.

What does it show?

-JF

Do you have any Service Packs installed? I've seen issues where re-installing the service pack will suddenly "find" a missing drive. Also did you install the motherboard vendor's ide drivers?

Do what Jon said to do in Disk Management. You probably just need to assign a drive letter.

Jim

OK, I made a partition with the drive letter "E" and I now have an "E" drive. The only problem now is that the partitions (both the C and E drives) can only be 128 GB in size. The two drives I have are 160 GB and 250 GB. How do I get to the rest of the space? Why is there this limit?

As for the sound card, I'm sure it's on it's own IRQ as there are no other PCI devices right now. But thanks for the info for when I expand my PCIage.
    The computer doesn't have internet yet, but I'll use this computer to download the file, make a CD, then install those drivers.

Thanks for all your help!
    -Chris

BTW: no service packs are installed or anything of that nature.

OK, I made a partition with the drive letter "E" and I now have an "E" drive. The only problem now is that the partitions (both the C and E drives) can only be 128 GB in size. The two drives I have are 160 GB and 250 GB. How do I get to the rest of the space?
    One way to use the rest of the space is to make additional partitions in the unused space, and assign drive letters to them. If I remember correctly, you right-click the unused space in the Disk Manager, and tell it to add a partition, then format it, then assign it a drive letter.

Why is there this limit?
    I'm not sure. Maybe you need to apply some Windows Updates. I know that larger disks are now supported, but I don't remember what to do to upgrade.

As for the sound card, I'm sure it's on it's own IRQ as there are no other PCI devices right now. But thanks for the info for when I expand my PCIage.
    Bad assumption. There are lots of things built into your motherboard that use IRQs, including the system timer, comm ports, floppy controller, numeric processor, video...

In the Computer Management window do the following.

1) Click on Device Manager in the System Tools folder.
    2) Click on View on the menu bar and select resrouces by connection.
    3) Drill down into the Interrupt request (IRQ) group.
    4) Find you audio card and the other items that use IRQs.

Here are some other things you should do...

A) Look for any discs that came with your motherboard. There may be drivers that need to be installed, such as a PCI bridge driver, and a USB2 driver. Install those right away.

B) Did your hard drive come with any CDs? I think some have the code needed to let your PC make bigger partitions. You will probably want to leave your main system drive partition as is, and just make an extended partition on your C: drive, but you will likely want to re-do your sample drive as one big partition.

C) Do the Windows Updates at least up to SP1.

D) Find a teenager to help you out... Oh wait, you are the teenager!

Best of luck!

-JF

Thanks for the clarification on IRQ's, Jon. I understand better now. I thought it was just a PCI thing.

In that place where you make the partitions (I know, very specific ) it says that the entire drive is partitioned. I'll check for more cd's in my big box of computer stuff.

Thanks again for all the help!

-Chris

OK, I made a partition with the drive letter "E" and I now have an "E" drive. The only problem now is that the partitions (both the C and E drives) can only be 128 GB in size. The two drives I have are 160 GB and 250 GB. How do I get to the rest of the space? Why is there this limit?

The computer doesn't have internet yet, but I'll use this computer to download the file, make a CD, then install those drivers.

Thanks for all your help!
    -Chris

BTW: no service packs are installed or anything of that nature.
    Service Pack 2 will solve the hard drive size issue. If you have built in audio (on the motherboard) make sure that this is disabled in the bios. This may not solver your current problem but will prevent future ones.

Actually, the HD issue was solved by the simple installation of the motherboard's drivers. I feel so stupid now. But at least it now works!

-Chris

Go Back to forum