• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tascam FW-1804

Share/Bookmark

Tascam FW-1804

Hello everybody. Any experience with this unit? Would you recommend it?

Re: Tascam FW-1804

I got one a few weeks ago, and like it a lot. I have it on my DAW machine, with my Giga machine light piped into it. I use the analog inputs for my general use computer. It’s perfect for my setup. And the sound is great.

My only regret is that it didn't get along with my beautiful PCI-64 FW800 card, so had to replace with a plain vanila FW400.

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply. Why did you go Firewire for your desktop? Why this card and not the RME cards? Did you buy this for use with GigaStudio? Are you taking advantage of the GSIF 2 drivers and iMIDI? What kind of latency are you getting. So you can lightpipe instead of use something like GigaTeleport Adapter? Which Firewire brand and model are you using?

Just for the record, that's the first positive remark about that piece out of many, many posts.

I couldn't say myself but I thought you might want to investigate it a little more. The sound was always brought up as one of the main problems.

Well, I found one for $359. Good deal or should I pass?

Thumbs up Re: Tascam FW-1804

Hey man I have the 1884 and it's been great, I'm using it with onboard firewire and it's been good. Only issue I've had is I've had to reboot my computer and the 1884 as I leave them on all the time. A couple of times the controller part didn't work, but again just because I've left it on for a week or so without using it! I believe that is caused by the onboard firewire too not the 1884. I like it with Sonar, a bit of a learning curve but it certainly speeds things up! Is the one your looking at the controller version or the the rack?
    I'd go for it!
    Later

It's the rack version. What firewire card are you using?

I'm using a Belkin card that I got at Staples.

I spoke to Tascam support today (it has taken several calls all week to finally get past their lengthy recorded greeting only to be told in the end that they are busy and that I should call again later). They recommend using the Adaptec 3200 series card. They also said that the Adaptec 4300 series is good too. I asked about the ADS cards. They did not have any experience with those cards.

They also gave some tips on how to plug and unplug the device. They said that you should never plug or unplug the firewire cables when the device is on. They also said you should never unplug the firewire cable or power down the unit while the sequencing software is running or that I would face a possible complete reformat of the PC, fresh OS install and software and driver install.

Other than that they said that they have had great success with the unit.

Go Back to forum