Topic: OT: Newsweek Article re: Television Music

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

OT: Newsweek Article re: Television Music

Re: OT: Newsweek Article re: Television Music

Who, John Williams?

D

Supposedly he's like a dj, loop composer type of guy... I heard a couple of his tunes over time... More dance oriented than anything, with the emphasis on loops and samples...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    Supposedly he's like a dj, loop composer type of guy... I heard a couple of his tunes over time... More dance oriented than anything, with the emphasis on loops and samples...

Not so - when I lived in NYC a few years back, I did a few spots for his old company, before he struck out on his own and started Man Made. Charming fellow with a GREAT attitude.

He was doing all of the symphonic work (ie-News packages, etc.) and for the time sample-wise (Miro/Roland libs w/ Roland Samplers) it was solid programming. The writing, regardless of the tools at hand, was top-shelf.

As for the DJ/Electronica thing, I also know that he used to employ these REALLY creative musicians known as the Elegant Too for those genres. And to answer the logical follow-up query, yes, they were quite elegant AND eloquent too.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Didier

Bruce, love the Hollywood lunch tagline. As I am now living in LALA land, perhaps we can have lunch next time you are in town. Your posts have always been insightful (regardless of Simon's chastizing alter-ego Lewis).
    Moreover, I would love to pick your brain re: gardens, as what you have done with yours is truly inspiring. My wife and I loved what you accomplished with your space.

Well, thanks for the update... All I've ever heard is his dance stuff...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

re: Beckerman

He seems to be very on-target to me. I like the way he thinks about dragging cultural influence in from all corners. That fusion of ideas interests me.

re: the garden

Thanks Didier, I appreciate it. I need to shoot some photos as soon as spring "springs," because the ones you saw are three years old. Most of what's there has come along nicely, and finally the property behind us stabilized. For years, it was undeveloped CR (community retail, a misnomer if ever there was one!!) property with an old car wash on site. We won a down-zoning on the land to Townhome/residential, and while I don't relish the thought of ten townhomes being built behind my house, we got some height and overlook restrictions built into the zoning, and some landscaping requirements which should hopefully shield us.

In fact, the developer is going to let me add some materials and labor onto his bid, so that when he puts in his landscaping, I'll be adding several six-inch caliper evergreens (probably Leyland Cypress) behind the back walls, and finishing out the rooftop on the "Tiki Bar" this year...just as soon as the townhomes are framed up, so that I can see where I need the most screening.

I've also painted the concrete walls behind the pool wall since those photos were taken, and am still experimenting with getting the colors just right. I was just at the Japanese Gardens at Fort Worth Botanical Gardens last weekend, and came across a few really nice ideas there.

Bruce,

Thread O/T, but your thoughts about living in LA for yourself?

Joanne

Talking Re: OT: Newsweek Article re: Television Music

Quote Originally Posted by Didier Rachou
    Not so - when I lived in NYC a few years back, I did a few spots for his old company, before he struck out on his own and started Man Made. Charming fellow with a GREAT attitude.

He was doing all of the symphonic work (ie-News packages, etc.) and for the time sample-wise (Miro/Roland libs w/ Roland Samplers) it was solid programming. The writing, regardless of the tools at hand, was top-shelf.

As for the DJ/Electronica thing, I also know that he used to employ these REALLY creative musicians known as the Elegant Too for those genres. And to answer the logical follow-up query, yes, they were quite elegant AND eloquent too.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Didier

yuo guys are talking about two different people. The article is about Beckermen, who Didier is talking about I believe and tradivoro is speaking abuot Fatboy Slim I think

just to clirify things
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

King you're a genious, seriously.

My apologies, I thought it was obvious who Fatboy Slim was (not said in a condescending way at all). Yes, to be clear I was talking about Joel not Norman Cook. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for sharing the article tough. Loved the Williams video on there as well.

DR

The John Williams clip was cool!

Go Back to forum