• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New Computer!!

Share/Bookmark

Talking New Computer!!

I just thought I'd let you guys know that my new computer is up and running!! I still have a few issues I need to smooth out, but IT WORKS!!!
    The problems I'm currently working on are being able to access my sample drive and getting my sound card to work. In terms of the hard drive, the hardware troubleshooter says it "is functioning properly" but My Computer refuses to let me in there. In terms of the sound card (Delta 44) the hardware troubleshooter says that "the drivers for this device are not yet installed." Well duh, I just can't get the drivers TO install!

So I kinda ment for this to be an announcement thread, but come to think of it if any of y'all happen to have any pointers on any of these issues, feel free to tell me! I just got this up and running last night, so it's not like these problems have been going on for the past forever or anything.

It's so cool to see a computer that you put together yourself boot up successfully. It's...whimper...like your own child!

SO EXCITING!!!!

-Chris

Re: New Computer!!

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    It's so cool to see a computer that you put together yourself boot up successfully. It's...whimper...like your own child!
    -Chris
    If it'd be your own child you'd have told us the measurments (RAM size,
    CPU weight) and that it looks like his father

Thumbs up Re: New Computer!!

Awe, cool! What did ya get? Huh? Huh? Huh? Come on tell us will ya? Huh? Huh? Please?
    At any rate (2 cents on a dallah) congratulations! Now make us some nice home made music for lunch.

Talking Re: New Computer!!

I gots me a "Nude" Computer the other day. Nothing but the bare essentials.

I can help you with the Delta 44... Go to the M-Audio site and download the driver 5.10.00.0048a... Once youv'e downloaded it to your hard drive, then just click on it to execute it... It will install the drivers... It's a little funny cause at one point it's going to tell you that the drivers haven't been approved by microsoft, just say yes anyway use this driver... You may have to restart the computer, at which point, when it reboots, it will tell you found new hardware, let it look for the driver... It will eventually find it and your new hardware will be installed... Hopefully you're using Windows XP Pro...

Now, here's the tricky part... I"m sure that you built the computer, closed it all up and set it on the ground... However, you may want to leave it open for a while, cause you may have to put the sound card on a couple of different pci slots... The Delta Series wants an IRQ of it's own, and if it's sharing it with anything else, it's going to generate a lot of pops and clicks... So, how do you find if it's on an IRQ of it's own?? This is what you do

Go to control panel, click on administrative tools, then click on computer management

On the left hand side, click on device manager...

Click on the view menu on top, select resources by type and then click on the little cross that says interrupt request (IRQ). There you will see a listing of all the things attached to your computer and what IRQ they're using...

Find your sound card... See what number it's using... If something else is using the same number, you're going to have to put it on another pci slot...

So, shut off the computer, take out the card, put it on another pci slot, turn on the computer again... It will go through the whole routine of found new software, but it will find your driver this time... Go back to the device manager as indicated above and see what irq it wound up on... Sometimes you're lucky and now its on its own irq... If you not, repeat the process until you find a pci slot that will give the card its own irq... Hopefully, you have a board that has more than 2 irq's, or hopefully, when you switch it, it will put it on it's own irq...

I know the above sounds like a pain, and it is, but without it, you're going to be very unhappy with the performance of the sound card...

Anyway, hope this helps...

Congrats Chris!

I know that this has been a long time coming. Welcome to the 21st Century!

BTW, if your problems aren't resolved soon, you might post the details in the Hardware section...

-JF

I'm jealous! But a good kind of happy-for-you jealous...

And I think you're too young to relate computer boot-ups to having children

Congrats! Use it's might power to finish that symphony!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

OK, sorry for not mentioning the specs

HEY!!! A NEW SMIELY!!!

OK, neway,

Sample drive: SATA 250 GB
    System drive: SATA 160 GB
    Motherboard: Gigabyte something or other
    RAM: 3 GB (max for motherboard)
    Sound: Delta 44
    Video: I forget but it's nice. (yes, very specific, I know)
    Power supply: 550 watt Sunbeam
    Case: Sunbeam with a jillion fans. I swear, there's a freakin' vortex in there!!
    DVD/CD writer/reader/does everything drive
    CPU: AMD Athon 64 3700
    I think that's everything...

Tradivoro, does this mean that the drivers that came with the card are no good? 'Cause when I click on the .exe for the "delta series-->win XP-->the only .exe file in the folder and I double click, there is an hourglass for a split second then nothing. I'll download the drivers and see if that helps.

Prince, it lists both drives as working properly, as does the BIOS. I just can't get to both of them seperately in windows explorer!! There's one drive "C" that is 132 gigabytes. I have a 160 GB and a 250 GB. Where's 132? I think maybe I might have something accidentally activated that RAIDs the two drives together? But how do I disable that? I looked through the BIOS options. Maybe I'm missing something or not looking for the right words?

It's kinda funny...I noticed that the graphics were absolutely terrible: I'd drag a window around the screen and it would jump around. Problem: I haden't installed the graphics drivers.
    I'll get this stuff down soon enough!

-Chris

Talking Re: New Computer!!

Let me see if I read this right. You have,

Simple dive: SAPA 2.50 Girdle
    Sly-stem dive: SATA 160 Girdle
    Mother'sironingboard: Gigababy something or other
    RIMS: 0.3 GB (max's for mother'sironingboard)
    Sound Like: Delta 44 but it's more Like American Airlines 88
    Video: I forget but it's nice. (yes, very specific, I know)
    Powder supply: 550 Charlie Watt's Sunbeam Razor
    Case: Sunbeam Toaster with a jelly filled fans. I swear, there's a freakin' Gortex in there!! DVD/CD Monk writer/reader/does everything but drive my car
    C3PO: AMD Ethel's on 64 3700 milligrams of polypropylene
    I think that's everything...except the kitchen sink.

I don't get it? Are you sure you bought the right thang?

Chris,

only have one thing to say...

YES!!!!!!...with a raised fist!

congrats on the new box, I remember that you've been waiting for a while for this upgrade! Feels good, doesn't it?

No doubt that you'll get your technical problems worked out between the tech support from the vendor and the excellent suggestions you will get from the forum folks...

So when you're ready, let us hear some new music...or enter a Challenge or the SkySay comp (and BTW talk Steph into doing the same)!

too cool!

;-)
    jim

edit: just read that you put it together yourself...which is even cooler, but sidesteps the "vendor support" i mentioned above...so if you have questions, just holler....this forum "has the technology" (Air Force term) to get you running properly!
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Go Back to forum