Thanks.

Re: Keyboard controller for strings?

Quote Originally Posted by hangee_77
    Any suggestion for this?
    Any thought for Kurzweil PC88?

Thanks.
    The PC88 is a very nice keyboard.

I have one. I've owned it for over ten years. Bought new.

The good:
    * It's solid
    * 88 keys
    * Very programmable/flexible
    * Good piano feel, though slightly light
    * Long travel

The bad:
    * My battery got weak, and had to be replaced. About $70 at the shop.
    * A weight broke. To fix it I had to replace one of three internal key group assemblies. You can't just fix one note.
    * It got squeeky. So, I replaced all three internal key group assemblies. It's much nicer now! About $250 at the shop.
    * The controls are kind of lame for live use. Some control keys cycle through three or four states. Other keys change behavior, based on the current state. On stage I want to blindly hit a button and get the result that I expect.
    * Big, external wall-wart.
    * Limited internal sounds.
    * Aftertouch depth is limited. And it's per channel, rather than per key.

It's a fine studio keyboard for a piano feel, and a powerful, flexible controller. I'd like a synth feel keyboard for some orchestral stuff, like flute runs though.

-JF

I would also look at Kurzweil's PC1x - similar construction to Sp 88 with some nice sounds too. the wheels on this board are great and I've enjoyed its addition to my studio.

As I recall the PC1x is almost identical in construction to the PC88. I was disappointed to see that some of the user interface clumsiness still exists in the PC1x. Even after all these years, I still hit the wrong button some times. "Oh, the buttons were delegated to THAT channel".

The problem is that some of the buttons that operate also delegate. A separate row of four buttons would have solved it.

If you're not using this live, or if you are really consistent and practiced, then the UI isn't a problem.

-JF

I have a PC2x, the PC1x's bigger brother. I love it. I never had a problem with the UI, but I dont' use it live and I've never really gotten that deep into using it... I do agree that a nice synth action keyboard would be a really good compliment to it for various things.
    Tim

Rather than recommending a model, let's consider features needed:

For sequencing work, you need a regular mod wheel, not a spring action as found on Korg products.

For a master controller, if this is important to you, additional faders to make changes on the fly. Minimum 4, maximum 8.

Sustain pedal - absolutely.

USB connectivity - possibly/

Adjustable touch

Having such features in one keyboard will enable you to handle the whole orchestra, not just the strings.

PA
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

I have had a PC88 for years and it has served me well. The Fatar action holds up fine if you don't pound the living you-know-what out of it.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    I have had a PC88 for years and it has served me well. The Fatar action holds up fine if you don't pound the living you-know-what out of it.
    True! Mine got funky after the kid next door was pounding on the keys. The plastic that connected Eb4 to the weight developed a stress crack. Eventually, it broke all the way through, and that's when I did the refurb.

-JF

Go Back to forum