• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Sorabji...

Share/Bookmark

OT: Sorabji...

My friend has John Odgen's recording of Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum (what a name...), and I begged him to borrow it, since I've been curious as to what this piece sounds like, even though I've heard the only two recordings of it, Geoffrey Douglas Madge's, and John Ogdon's, are pretty much terrible. So I put the first disc in (there are four in total...) and I couldn't continue listening after about 45 minutes or so. I'm pretty sure it's John Odgen's playing and interpretation that makes this piece sound horrendous, as I've heard this is composition is gorgeous, despite it being practically the most difficult piece for piano. And I have a feeling that Madge's would be worse, since I've heard his playing is mostly imporvised. However, I heard one pianist, Jonathan Powell, can play it well. I can't wait until he makes a recording of it, because I want to hear this piece being put to justice!

BTW, if you haven't seen the score for Opus Clavicembalisticum (OC for short) or haven't heard about it (which I'm pretty sure you have), it's technically one of the most difficult piece you can play on the piano. It's 250 pages, and it could last up to 10 hours. Sorabji includes up to 7 staves in the OC. I would imagine he couldn't fit all the notes on two staves.

Here are some pics of
    Opus Clavicembalisticum

♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Re: OT: Sorabji...

If you want to know about Sorabji, look up David Carter, a poster here, and send him a pm. I am sure he will have comments about Sorabji and the performance you mentioned.

Richard

I must admit ... I've never heard of it!

For some reason the pics wouldn't load, so I had to click their properties and copy/paste the address into the browser and ... @#%$! How the heck is anyone suppose to play that?! Now I'm really interested in finding out how it sounds...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Very interesting. I read an article about the many mistakes Madge makes in his recording, quite interesting stuff, it's quite shocking how people take the time to closely analyze such things precisely. I don't know much about Odgen's recording, so that'll be pretty much interesting to ask.

I must admit ... I've never heard of it!

For some reason the pics wouldn't load, so I had to click their properties and copy/paste the address into the browser and ... @#%$! How the heck is anyone suppose to play that?! Now I'm really interested in finding out how it sounds...
    From what I've heard, it's best that you shouldn't buy either recording of the OC and wait till Jonathan Powell's recording comes out, that is, if he does make a recording of it (which I'm hoping he would). However, by all means, you should borrow a copy of one of the recordings if one of your friends has either one to get a good taste of it.

On the other hand, you can check out other Sorabji pieces, like say his 100 Transcendental Studies, his Sonatas, Le Jardin Parfume, etc. Those might be more common.
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

You could probably get a midi piano to play it, add some humization to the midi file, then fake it... it should sound pretty good, no? Although people might get suspicious if they see keys going down without being pressed...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    You could probably get a midi piano to play it, add some humization to the midi file, then fake it... it should sound pretty good, no? Although people might get suspicious if they see keys going down without being pressed...
    Heh. Well, if someone was willing to go through the trouble to make a MIDI file that long, then yes, I guess so. Of course, The Opus Clavicembalisticum shouldn't be played by a computer. It should be played by Jonathan Powell! I wonder when he'll record it, people have been talking about how his performances are just stunning. I can't say though...
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Sorabji is just plain AMAZING...

I have the Madge recording, and he does uh.... take LOTS of improvisational liberties...

For those who are curious to learn more about Sorabji, go to:
    http://www.music.mcgill.ca/sorabji/

You can order scores from them, and there is an opus list...

I've been tempted to try creatiing a MIDI of some of his stuff, but have never done so - it is way crazy music (and it's got to be hard to even do it justice with a heavily-edited MIDI file)

Most folks are unaware that Sorabji also wrote 3 symphonies for solo Organ - Kevin Bowyer has recorded #1 (I've never made it thru the entire recording as yet... it is DIFFICULT music to concentrate on for 2 1/2 hours)

OTOH, the O.C. is much more listenable, as are some of his other pieces. I hope someday a recording can be made that does justice to OC.

Cheerio,

Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon
    Sorabji is just plain AMAZING...

I have the Madge recording, and he does uh.... take LOTS of improvisational liberties...

For those who are curious to learn more about Sorabji, go to:
    http://www.music.mcgill.ca/sorabji/

You can order scores from them, and there is an opus list...

I've been tempted to try creatiing a MIDI of some of his stuff, but have never done so - it is way crazy music (and it's got to be hard to even do it justice with a heavily-edited MIDI file)

Most folks are unaware that Sorabji also wrote 3 symphonies for solo Organ - Kevin Bowyer has recorded #1 (I've never made it thru the entire recording as yet... it is DIFFICULT music to concentrate on for 2 1/2 hours)

OTOH, the O.C. is much more listenable, as are some of his other pieces. I hope someday a recording can be made that does justice to OC.

Cheerio,
    Thanks for the link. I have his three piano sonatas saved on my computer, and I've attempted the first one. It's fiendishly difficult as well, but it's not as bad to a point where it's nearly impossible for me to learn. I've also listened through the first Organ Symphony, it's a wonderful piece. I'm anxious to hear the other two, just as I am for a good recording of the OC. Of course, I wish I could see one of Powell's preformances, but I've heard he hasn't scheduled another one yet. We just have to wait and see.

And I'd imagine it'd be a very tediously process to create a MIDI for it...
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

I had to take off the img tags to see the links... D'OH!! because they all appear dead...

The images appear fine to mine *shrugs*.

BTW, I use to have the complete score saved on my computer, but I've lost that somehow >_>.

Pics were from here,

http://www.opusclavicembalisticum.blogspot.com/
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Go Back to forum