• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What's the latest wisdom on the Giga3/memory issue?

Share/Bookmark

What's the latest wisdom on the Giga3/memory issue?

Hi folks,

I know there's a long and storied history of discussion on the topic of how much memory a Giga3/XP system can utilize, and that the facts have changed rapidly over time. I was hoping someone could give me a quick update on the state of things. In partulcular:

1) How much RAM can one usefully install in an XP machine for Gigastudio? If I have 1.5 gigs, will I get any advantage in upgrading to 2 gigs?
    2) Are any of the various registry tweaks (e.g. the canoncial one over at VSL.co.at) still valid?
    3) When's this all likely to change again?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
    Last edited by MikeShapiro; 02-08-2006 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Wanted to turn on email notification

Re: What's the latest wisdom on the Giga3/memory issue?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeShapiro
    Hi folks,

I know there's a long and storied history of discussion on the topic of how much memory a Giga3/XP system can utilize, and that the facts have changed rapidly over time. I was hoping someone could give me a quick update on the state of things. In partulcular:

1) How much RAM can one usefully install in an XP machine for Gigastudio? If I have 1.5 gigs, will I get any advantage in upgrading to 2 gigs?
    2) Are any of the various registry tweaks (e.g. the canoncial one over at VSL.co.at) still valid?
    3) When's this all likely to change again?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
    hey mike!

i see no one has answered your post, so i'll chime in with what i know:

1- i think you do get a little bump from having 2GB, but i don't believe it's terribly substantial. ram's pretty cheap tho, so if you want max performance, it' worth it imho.

2- i've found matthias's tweaks from the VSL site still to be the best way to maximize performance. the presets offered in giga3 can show some improvement for the registry-qweezy, but you can eek out more if you experiment with the tweaks. (plan to spend 1/2 - 1 day on this alone).

3- no idea here. giga seems to be practically dead on the vine afaict, but it's what i sunk my money into and it gets the job done, so i hope it lasts!

as a side note - i had a machine that was unstable to varying degrees with the registry tweaks, that i just chalked up to giga. one day i tested my ram, and found one pair of chips returned errors (oddly, only as a pair - each chip tested fine by itself). i rma'd the ram, and so far, no crashes to date. woohoo!

happy giga-ing mike!

john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Mike,

John answered most of your questions but som additions:

1. What John says.

2. All of them are valid... For some people it works better to use the old values (setting these manually or with my small app) and for other people the new presets included in GS3 work better...

3. When GS goes 64-bit this memory load thing will be a non-issue for a looong time.

/Mattias

I will go along with all of the above .....I read thru the entire thread at VSL...I don't think that anything is etched in stone....I tried various numbers in the registry , in 2 places, 4 places, let GS do what it wanted , etc ..... Some numbers resulted in the same amount of useful memory ... I don't guess that anyone has done any further investigating on what the effects of the various video cards taking away some memory has on GS , but it is to your advantage to see just what numbers or presets work for you, and your particular computer ... I started out because I bought TBO, and there were some GSI's in that program that I could not load .... When checking to see what my memory was allowing , it showed a measily 439 mb !! ....By the time I spent a couple of hours playing around with the registry numbers I was up very close to 1,000 mb of memory ....I'm stylin now for sure !!......Jim

PS....1.5 gig is good, 2 gig memory is better !!...

Mike,

About how much RAM: Well, I've seen funny things and this ranges on systems I've tweaked and systems I have not tweaked and only used the GigaStudio memory settings.

With 2 Gigabytes I've seen a range of %'s from 66% the worst to 74% the best. On a system I recently made, which is the one hitting 74% consistantly, I did no reg tweaks. I only set the GigaStudio memory setting to "Memory Selection 2."

I agree, I think memory is cheap enough to just go for the 2 GB's.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by mutato5
    On a system I recently made, which is the one hitting 74% consistantly, I did no reg tweaks. I only set the GigaStudio memory setting to "Memory Selection 2."
    And by selecting the memory setting in Giga you automatically made the registry tweaks...

/Mattias

Mattias,
    If selecting the presets is basically making registry tweaks, will those values change ( preset values ) if you go in and change the registry first, and THEN select the preset's later or are the presets the same no matter how you modified your registry ? .....Thanks, Jim

Jim,
    The preset values are constant and will overwrite any manual changes you have made previously. In addition to the four "pool values" the GS memory utility sets the registry value LargeSystemCache to 0 and also removes the IoPageLockLimit value if it exists (normally non-existing on XP). The latter two may be the cause to the differences some people see when using the "old tweak" vs the GS utility. I'm still not certain why they added the two extra tweaks but I'm sure they had their reasons.

/Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by John DeBorde
    hey mike!

i see no one has answered your post, so i'll chime in with what i know:

john
    As always, thanks John! (And everyone else who contributed.)

Quote Originally Posted by John DeBorde
    3- no idea here. giga seems to be practically dead on the vine afaict, but it's what i sunk my money into and it gets the job done, so i hope it lasts!
    john
    Is that true? I haven't been following this board or new GS developments for a while. I have my v 2.54, which serves me pretty well. Is Giga really dead on the vine? Would it make any sense to upgrade to 3?

Go Back to forum