• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 5 - Applying Sonar/Garritan Ambience

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 5 - Applying Sonar/Garritan Ambience

I'm making headway and have almost completed my first 'test' project in my new 'Sonar 5'.

Now I need to try adding ambience/reverb. I've used this in Finale and Cubase with no problems but can't see how to do this in Sonar. I'm missing something that is probably staring me in the face. I have looked through the manual and searched forums but can't find any 'beginner's how-to'. I would like to try using both Sonar's and Garritan's ambience/reverb when playing back a MIDI file..

Can anyone give me simple step-by-step advice on how to access both Sonar's and Gary's ambience?

Many thanks again.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Sonar 5 - Applying Sonar/Garritan Ambience

You need to add the plugin to the FX bin on the track with GPO. Right-click on the area beside the "FX" letters and select "Audio Effects" and then choose the reverb that you want to use.

One thing to watch out for when adding a plugin as an "insert effect" is that you need to make sure the reverb's "Dry" signal control is up at 100% (or thereabouts). That should be all you need to get started.

When you get more advanced, you can use it as a "send effect", where you'll route it through a submix bus. This is more convenient for using the same FX plugin for several instances of GPO.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    You need to add the plugin to the FX bin on the track with GPO. Right-click on the area beside the "FX" letters and select "Audio Effects" and then choose the reverb that you want to use.
    - m
    Markleford,

I'm very grateful for your reply, many thanks.

I've tried right clicking to every instance of 'FX' I can find but there's no 'Audio Effects' option.

I've tried moving the Garritan_Ambience.dll into just about every folder in the Cakewalk directory.

From your reply it sounds like I have to add the reverb to each track individually. When I was trialling Cubase I could go to the master slider on the mixer (Console) and add the reverb to the whole thing. Hope I can do this in Sonar.

Incidentally, I can't find a Master volume slider on Sonar's Console. I have scrolled right across and tried clicking various view options. Any suggestions?

Many thanks again .. I appreciate your help.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

To install Ambience, close SONAR and run the VST wizard from your Windows start menu:

Start|All Programs|Cakewalk|Cakewalk VST Adapter 4|Cakewalk VST Adapter 4

After it starts, click "Next >". The next page should say where your VST files are installed by default: move the Garritan_Ambience.dll file to that folder before continuing.

After this is done, click "Next >" again. All of the plugins in this directory will be scanned (wait for a bit), and when a list pops up next the Ambience plug-in should have a "Y" in the "New!" column. At that point it will be available to you in SONAR.

To get a "master volume slider", you need to add a Master Bus routing. Right-click the background in the Bus pane and select "Insert Stereo Bus" (it might have the default name of "Bus 1"). Then, in the audio track with the GPO instance, use the output selector (the one with the "O") to choose "Bus 1". Do this for any other tracks to send them all to the same Bus.

Hopefully that will get you going.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum