• Register
  • Help

Topic: UPGRADE! Keeping the old Emu 1212m or get a new M-Audio AP 192? or something else?!

Share/Bookmark

UPGRADE! Keeping the old Emu 1212m or get a new M-Audio AP 192? or something else?!

Hi everybody.
    In a couple of days i'll be getting my new computer (X2 4400+) and would like to either use my old computer as a heavy vst station via midi over lan or VST Rack (which will need a dedicated Soundcard) or just use the one computer I have. I know that's a little of topic but it has something to do with the overall picture. My current E-mu 1212m doesn't have and probebly won't have any MAC OSX drivers as far as emu's technical support knows. Though I love my Emu, I would like the option of upgrading to MAC (thinking about it for quite sometime) and keep my current PCI Audio device. Which lead me to M-audio's Audiophile 192 which not only has OSX drivers but has the integration with the M-powered Protools that I was thinking of getting. Now, I couldn't find any real comparrisons regarding the two which seems to be very much alike. I would like to know what are my other options (because I don't know anything about ESI and the other manufactures). My projects are mainly MIDI projects with lots of SAMPLES loaded. If I record it's mostly 1 channel only - Voc/Gtr/Pno. There are mixing projects but usually only the Audio tracks.

Hope you'll have the power to read what I just wrote (seems alot to me).
    Thanks alot for any reply, Yoav

Re: UPGRADE! Keeping the old Emu 1212m or get a new M-Audio AP 192? or something else?!

My first question would be "If you primarily want to do MIDI, why on earth would you even consider ProTools?"

D

Re: UPGRADE! Keeping the old Emu 1212m or get a new M-Audio AP 192? or something else

That's a very interesting point mate, I know it probebly looked very strange.
    What I was trying to point out is that the best feature I'm looking for in the comparison and of course in the Audio Device is the sound quality. I'm not looking for the best audio device for recording but for audio quality since i'm working mainly with MIDI (and virtual stuff). As for the Protools thingy, I do mix don't I? whether or not my stuff were recorded live or were made virtually with MIDI, I do mix and since i'm greatly intrested in the features of the "all powerful and mighty" ProTools, thought it can be a nice feature for the future.
    So dude, I realy appriciate the interest but please, I would realy appriciate knowing what you think of my questions

Thanks again, Yoav

Re: UPGRADE! Keeping the old Emu 1212m or get a new M-Audio AP 192? or something else?!

Quote Originally Posted by yoav3994
    Hi everybody.
    In a couple of days i'll be getting my new computer (X2 4400+) and would like to either use my old computer as a heavy vst station via midi over lan or VST Rack (which will need a dedicated Soundcard) or just use the one computer I have. I know that's a little of topic but it has something to do with the overall picture. My current E-mu 1212m doesn't have and probebly won't have any MAC OSX drivers as far as emu's technical support knows. Though I love my Emu, I would like the option of upgrading to MAC (thinking about it for quite sometime) and keep my current PCI Audio device. Which lead me to M-audio's Audiophile 192 which not only has OSX drivers but has the integration with the M-powered Protools that I was thinking of getting. Now, I couldn't find any real comparrisons regarding the two which seems to be very much alike. I would like to know what are my other options (because I don't know anything about ESI and the other manufactures). My projects are mainly MIDI projects with lots of SAMPLES loaded. If I record it's mostly 1 channel only - Voc/Gtr/Pno. There are mixing projects but usually only the Audio tracks.

Hope you'll have the power to read what I just wrote (seems alot to me).
    Thanks alot for any reply, Yoav
    OK, I'll leave out the explanations of why you shouldn't touch PT with a bargepole :>)

I'm afraid that I'm not a great fan of anything M-Audio; too many people (myself included) have problems with their gear. I now use RME, and for me this is much better quality.

I don't quite understand the "upgrading" to Mac thing. You either want to use a Mac or you don't. In terms of audio speed and processing power it is actually a downgrade...! If you like the operating system then go for it; otherwise I think that you are fine with what you've got.

I'm sorry, I can't resist. ProTools is regarded as the industry standard for various reasons; very few of which are for being the best at anything. If you are going for a PT LE system, then please be aware of the huge limitations that you will face compared with the full version. You mention mixing; believe it or not the mixing abilities of Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, DP and Logic are all far in advance of PT LE and there is no comparison when it comes to MIDI features. Also be aware that PT doesn't do VST instruments; Digi won't allow that, so you have to either get a VST bridge (not great from what I hear) or use the proprietary PT version (RTAS, I think?). This is often the last format to be released, so you may fine that again and again that you are lagging behind other DAW users. I know that there are many people using PT LE and think that it is the bees knees, but I have never been happier since I gave mine away. 16 stereo channels of audio? Please.....!

D

LoL Man, loved what you wrote... hehehe

Perhaps your'e right, the m-powered PT feature shouldn't be a factor in my decision. I didn't come across problems with m-audio gear over the net, but I do beleive you so that's another i'll have to think about.
    The "upgrade" I was talking about is very simple, a friend that's going away for a year (studying) and leaving his Mac Power G5 here (not sure yet but i'm starting to influence him) is going to give it to me for the year (which is a long time). Now i'll still have my new 4400+ but i'll also have a mac! I'd like a damn good card (in the 1212m/AP 192) price range that'll have both osx and xp drivers so that i'll be able to use both and test them both.
    Now, since even before I heard 'em I fell in love with E-mu, I never did check any other Audio Devices out there in that range so i'm realy helpless regarding on which to decide. So lets turn this into a "Which Audio Device do you recommand?" kind of theard :P
    Like I said, i'm not looking for many I/O but for great audio quality (cause E-mu does the trick for me).
    Cheers mates, and thanks again Daryl,
    Yoav

If you are looking for a Mac/PC audio card, then one of the ones that I've used is the Edirol FA-101. There are 2 downsides for me:

1) It is Firewire and not all PCs have this.
    2) If you want to change sample rate you have to switch the darned thing off, change rate and then switch on again.

Other than that it has been rock solid, unlike the Tascam US-122.....!

D

Go Back to forum