• Register
  • Help

Topic: installing the new update Studio 2

Share/Bookmark
    Power Profile User

installing the new update Studio 2

I've read a lot of discussion about installing this update and I don't know whether I'm coming or going. Should it be installed in the Garritan Personal Orchestra folder where the other version is, and will it overwrite that, or should I delete the old version before I install Studio 2.
    Does it affect Finale 2006C? Now that I think of it, it should if I use it in Finale
    and so far I haven't. Maybe I shouldn't have downloaded it, and left well enough alone.

Re: installing the new update Studio 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bob De Celle
    I've read a lot of discussion about installing this update and I don't know whether I'm coming or going. Should it be installed in the Garritan Personal Orchestra folder where the other version is, and will it overwrite that, or should I delete the old version before I install Studio 2.
    Does it affect Finale 2006C? Now that I think of it, it should if I use it in Finale
    and so far I haven't. Maybe I shouldn't have downloaded it, and left well enough alone.
    Well, I downloaded it, installed, it overwrote the old, and works fine, less demanding of cpu. It kept my old preferences and options. I can't imagine why it should affect Finale, other than using it with Finale.

Richard

Power Profile User

I installed it, but it didn't overwrite the old, it created a whole new folder called "garritan" with studio in there. Should I uninstall the old studio in the Garritan Personal orchestra folder and the icon that is on the desktop. I now have two. I think the install is OK but I don't understand why I have two Studio's. Maybe I should have unistalled the old one, but then it wouldn't have installed in the Garritan Personal Orchestra. I didn't get that as an option. These things never go easy for me. The reason I'm skittish about installing any update

I installed it, but it didn't overwrite the old, it created a whole new folder called "garritan" with studio in there. Should I uninstall the old studio in the Garritan Personal orchestra folder and the icon that is on the desktop. I now have two. I think the install is OK but I don't understand why I have two Studio's. Maybe I should have unistalled the old one, but then it wouldn't have installed in the Garritan Personal Orchestra. I didn't get that as an option. These things never go easy for me. The reason I'm skittish about installing any update
    I understand your nervousness, having experienced some wierd things myself! It is quite safe to remove the unwanted icon from the desktop, as that only removes the icon, nothing else.

The new version install in a new folder called "Garritan", as you noticed. Quite proper.

Look at your start menu, under Garritan Personal Orchestra, and see if there is a listing for Studio, and if so, notice whether or not it says empty, as it should. Look at your control panel, and see if it shows Garritan Personal Orchestra Studio 2, and not the previous also. If more than one is listed, it would appear that you don't have the latest, as a previous update did not always show correctly in the control panel. The zip file that you downloaded should be Garritan Studio004.zip. If not, go get it, and install it, which should resolve the problem. If not, just uninstall the old, install the new. As a safety, it is always a good idea to have a current restore point or a current backup. Not much danger in this case, but safety is always a good idea with computers. The most you stand to lose is any presets or templates you may have created in Studio, and you can probably save they and put them back if needed.

Richard

Power Profile User

First of all, thank you for taking the time to help with, to me, is sometimes a bewildering process.
    As you stated, I do have the new "garritan" folder with the Studio 2 in it, and I did delete the old icon on my desktop.
    Garritan Personal Orchestra Studio v2 (004.zip) is listed in the control panel but so is Studio v1.2 (003.zip) and it isn't empty. The zip file that I downloaded and installed is Garritan 004.zip.
    Can I just uninstall the old Studio and move the Garritan Studio 2 into the Garritan Personal Orchestra folder, or can I just copy the new Studio onto the old studio and have it overwrite the old. As you can see I'm still confused.
    But the bottom line is that I have both. The good news is that I haven't as yet used the Studio so I won't loose any files. I mainly use "notation" with Finale. Sooner or later I will want to use the Studio with Sonar, but right now I just want to get it straightened out, in not only the computer, but my head.
    B. D.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to help with, to me, is sometimes a bewildering process.
    As you stated, I do have the new "garritan" folder with the Studio 2 in it, and I did delete the old icon on my desktop.
    Garritan Personal Orchestra Studio v2 (004.zip) is listed in the control panel but so is Studio v1.2 (003.zip) and it isn't empty. The zip file that I downloaded and installed is Garritan 004.zip.
    Can I just uninstall the old Studio and move the Garritan Studio 2 into the Garritan Personal Orchestra folder, or can I just copy the new Studio onto the old studio and have it overwrite the old. As you can see I'm still confused.
    But the bottom line is that I have both. The good news is that I haven't as yet used the Studio so I won't loose any files. I mainly use "notation" with Finale. Sooner or later I will want to use the Studio with Sonar, but right now I just want to get it straightened out, in not only the computer, but my head.
    B. D.
    Well, you have the latest update, so that is a good start.

I don't see any harm in simply uninstalling the old GPO Studio. Your music files will still be intact. The new version will still find any templates or presets you may have created. (Mine did) So I don't see any need to copy the files. The worst case that I see is 1)possible re-installation of the new Studio, not likely, but easy enough. 2) Any files you saved which used the old Studio could require you to specify the location of Studio and libraries, but again, not likely.

Finally, what version of Sonar do you use? Versions 4 and 5 include VST, so you don't need Studio with Sonar. I use Sonar 4, with VSt. I try Sudio with it now and then, just so I don't forget how, but where it is possible, VSt is the best bet. Studio is made available for cases where VSt is not an option, such as my version of Sibelius. But since I don't use Sibelius for playback, only for final score production, I don't make much use of Studio.

As long as you maintain careful, current backup, you should not worry much about losing things. Backup is a pain, but quite necessary, and can save a lot of misery. Since I maintain my operating files on one drive, my data on another, and backup on a third drive, I don't worry much about problems when I install new software or modify old. My backup retains the fingerprint of the system, so if I restore, there is no problem of registration /re-registration of Kontakt, etc.

Richard

Power Profile User

I haven't uninstalled the old Studio but I will. It makes sense and since I haven't used the Studio for anything, so far, I won't lose anything.

I wondered about Sonar (I have Sonar 4) because it didn't make any sense to use the Studio if the VST is in Sonar, and it is along with a Dxi (which I don't use because of that tempo problem).
    Thanks again for taking the time to explain all the workings of the installation.
    Just one more question. Is it OK to leave the new Studio 2 in the "garritan' folder. The old one is in the Garritan Personal Orchestra folder and there won't be a "studio" in the folder after I delete it.
    B.D.

Power Profile User

I'm sorry but I have another thought. The old studio is 14.7 MB and the new one (Studio 2) is 9.44. Why is there such a huge difference in size? Am I missing files in the new Studio.
    B.D.

I haven't uninstalled the old Studio but I will. It makes sense and since I haven't used the Studio for anything, so far, I won't lose anything.

I wondered about Sonar (I have Sonar 4) because it didn't make any sense to use the Studio if the VST is in Sonar, and it is along with a Dxi (which I don't use because of that tempo problem).
    Thanks again for taking the time to explain all the workings of the installation.
    Just one more question. Is it OK to leave the new Studio 2 in the "garritan' folder. The old one is in the Garritan Personal Orchestra folder and there won't be a "studio" in the folder after I delete it.
    B.D.
    You should leave the new Studio in the Garritan folder where it was installed by default. If it works, there is nothing to be gained by moving it. Unless there is a compelling reason, I allow the default installation, because I think it makes updates simpler. Maybe not, but that's my way of doing it.

Using the vst in Sonar 4 sure is a simpler solution, and that is really the way to go. Maybe some day the tempo problem will be fixed and DXi can used, which will be one less layer.

Richard

Power Profile User

Because of the difference in size, I'm a little leery of deleting the old studio.
    There are so many more icons. Maybe they don't mean anything but all this stuff scares the dickens out of me.
    Hopefull I can leave you alone after this. Also I want to get back with a project of mine. I've spent too much time trying to figure out the damn computer.
    B.D.

Go Back to forum