• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Prominy LPC Question

Share/Bookmark

Prominy LPC Question

Okay, I am attempting to learn this library. I am not sure where to go with my stupid questions, but here is one directed (primarily) to those people who own this library.

The first two updates in the LPC _basic_set (4th dyad chords up and down), the only difference is one says: top note=key and the other says bottom note=key.

What does this mean?

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Re: Prominy LPC Question

An inversion? 4th below the root or 4th above?
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    An inversion? 4th below the root or 4th above?
    Hmmm. I will look into that. You have this library, right?

Here is another one: 01_single_note_repetition_auto_alt

So, I would think this is a single note (it sounds like a single note to me). But in the comment in parenthesis it says: "4th-dyad chord". It also says "top note=key".

I guess I do not understand the terminology. Any thoughts?

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I don't have the library but other lib.'s have this same similar protocol

LPC _basic_set (4th dyad chords up and down), the only difference is one says: top note=key and the other says bottom note=key.

Think they are 4 chord(root+4th) for that power chord thing maybe? then it's DYatonic triADS.(1 chord major-2 chord minoretc.) and to pick a key hit either your top note or bottom note dtermines the key. Which means you can play any diatonic 4 chord in any key. .

Also maybe the up and down either means strums OR it's about the range. If you use the topnote patch then your chords in lower keys are chosen. reverse for choosing chords that work in the upper keys.

Hope that helps. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1

The first two updates in the LPC _basic_set (4th dyad chords up and down), the only difference is one says: top note=key and the other says bottom note=key.

What does this mean?

jeffn1

Here is a picture from LPC User's Manual.

For example, if you make a 'melody' with the 4th-dyad chord instruments, 'top note = key' mapping is good.
    If you make a riff which is a combination of 4th-dyad and 5th-dyad, 'bottom note = key' mapping is good.

But it depends on the situation. It's up to you how you take them.

Hmmm. I will look into that. You have this library, right?

Here is another one: 01_single_note_repetition_auto_alt

So, I would think this is a single note (it sounds like a single note to me). But in the comment in parenthesis it says: "4th-dyad chord". It also says "top note=key".

jeffn1
    I am sorry, it was a mistake.
    I've fixed it.
    http://www.prominy.com/LPC/LPC_contr...rt_K2_v105.pdf

I still haven't figured this out. The up/down is clear. It is up strums or down strums. The different chords are repeated on the upper and lower half of the keyboard and one (lower half) is the up strum and the other (upper half) is the down strum.

[DELETE]

jeffn1

Ahhh, I got it. The easiest way for me to think of it is as a fifth with the bottom note being the root when it says "bottom note=key" and the top note being the root when it says "top note=key" (in which case, it would be a 4th). That also explains why the controller chart says "5th_4th", since the determination of whether its a 5th or a 4th (in my simplistic view) is which note of the two notes is on the bottom and which is on top.

And thank you for clarifying the error in the controller chart. As you can understand, when you are first trying to figure this stuff out, it only takes a slight typo to throw someone like me totally off.

So, I take it you have updated the Kontakt 2 Controller Chart to include the most recent updates (instead of the addendum you came out with when the update was first disseminated)? [Hmmm, I don't know whether to reprint this again in the possibility there might be new developments coming in the no-to-distant future.]

Well, I definitely want to try to understand how to use this incredible library. Thank you for clarifying this issue, Akihito.

jeffn1

[DELETE]

jeffn1
    Hello Jeff,

I think the deleted part in your guess was the correct answer.
    5th-dyad chord and 4th-dyad chord is not a same chord.

5th-dyad chord

4th-dyad chord

The reason the two kind of mapping for 4th-dyad chord are included is;

In music theory, basically 4th-dyad chord is '' 'bottom note = key (= root)'. It can also be used as sus4 chord.

But when you play a melody like the famous guitar riff on 'Burn' (Deep purple) with a keyboard, using 'top note = key' mapping is better because the top note sounds stronger than the bottom note in this case.

In other words, 4th-dyad chord can be interpreted as 'inverted' 5th dyad-chord.

I hope this helps.

And thanks to you, I found one more mistake in the manual.

The '5th_4th' .nki files include both 5th-dyad chord and 4th-dyad chord which can be switched from one to another using the key switches.

Key switch
    C1 = 5th-dyad chord
    C#1 = 4th-dyad chord

I have forgotten to write this in the manual.
    I'll fix the manual and post it to our webserver shortly.

Go Back to forum