• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Name one your favourite clasical recordings

Share/Bookmark

Name one your favourite clasical recordings

I would highly recommend Glenn Gould’s recording of Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 (Franz Liszt Piano Transcription).

One of the greatest interpreters of Bach, Glenn Gould really brings out the contrapuntal elements in this symphony.

Re: Name one your favourite clasical recordings

I'd have to say my favorite at the moment is Robert Shaw's 1960 recording of Bach's B-minor Mass. I love it!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Mahler 2 - Bernstein/NY
    De Falla,Three Cornered Hat-Charles Dutoit/Montreal
    Puccini,La Boheme-Karajan/Pavarotti and Freni
    Saint Sean Organ Concerto-Berlin/Levine
    Respighi Ancient Airs and Dances-Hogwood
    Petroushka - Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    I'd have to say my favorite at the moment is Robert Shaw's 1960 recording of Bach's B-minor Mass. I love it!
    Is there anything in particular that makes this recording special to you compared to other recordings of the Mass in Bmin?

I have a recording of the Beethoven Violin Concerto by Zino Francescotti and Bruno Walter that I like a lot. I never named it but I suppose if I had to I would name it Bill.

The first to come to mind for me is R. Vaughan Williams' Fifth Symphony, Andre Previn, Royal Philharmonic (Telarc), not so much for the recording, but for the interpretation and performance of this beautiful piece of music.
    Richard Galbraith

Walton Violin & Viola Concertos - Nigel Kennedy

Once I heard this recording I realised Kennedy was no lightweight.

Ligeti Etudes - Marc-Andre Hamelin

Incredible performance of some amazing music. Some of the toughest music I've played and I can only listen jaw to the floor when I hear the clarity and passion in his performance. My envy is far over-shadowed by my respect for this olympian musician.

Bruno Walter's Beethoven's 6th (CBS Masterworks) with what was called the Columbia Symphony which was actually pick-up players from either New York or LA. This performance is so stunning as to make one think they never heard music before. Beethoven's depth is revealed on another level and Walter's reputation as perhaps the greatest conductor of the century well understood.

Looking at the CD jacket: High Fidelity called it a "historic" recording which is not hyperbole in this case in the slightest.

Bernstein's Dvorak New World and Mahler 6th, with N.Y Phil from the late 60's. Also his Beethoven (string orchestra version of of the C# minor quartet) with Vienna on DG which is his personal favorite of all his performances.

Quote Originally Posted by JonP
    Walton Violin & Viola Concertos - Nigel Kennedy

Once I heard this recording I realised Kennedy was no lightweight.
    I have to agree with this. I always rated Kennedy, but the musicality of these performances, suggest he has added depth, to the evident brilliance.He even plays the Viola, more or less in tune, and you dont hear that every day.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by dpc
    Bruno Walter's Beethoven's 6th (CBS Masterworks) with what was called the Columbia Symphony which was actually pick-up players from either New York or LA. This performance is so stunning as to make one think they never heard music before. Beethoven's depth is revealed on another level and Walter's reputation as perhaps the greatest conductor of the century well understood.
    Right, that's the same group on the Frascescotti recording. Amazing.

Go Back to forum