• Register
  • Help

Topic: No sustain!

Share/Bookmark

No sustain!

This really seems to be a Kontakt 2 problem, but the forums over there seem to get no real help, so I'll ask here as well.

I can't get the strad (or any instruments) to sustain fully in Kontakt 2. While holding down a key, I get about 7 seconds of a note, then it cuts off suddenly. I have "Sampler" Mode checked. It's as if it plays in one-shot mode no matter what I do. If I let it cut out then release the key, I do hear what seems to be a release sample.

This problem happens whether I'm in standalone, or using Kontakt as a plugin in Sonar.

I'm on a Pentium 4 2.52GHz, 1GB RAM machine, running XP Home. My card is a Delta 66.

Any suggestions?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: No sustain!

I suspected after I posted this, and it was confirmed by Giorgio that I misunderstood the nature of these samples. It does make sense that they aren't looped, being that a bow has a finite length. This being the case, there are still several issues regarding long held notes:

1. The manual could be clearer in explaining that the samples are not looped (unless I missed that section). The first example "Getting Started" on page 25 talks about holding a note and gradually changing controller values to hear changes. This would be a good place to mention that if you're too gradual, the note will end before you are done.
    2. The bow noise continues for a second or two after the note ends. (bug)
    3. If the key is held longer than the entire length of the sample, releasing the key produces what I assume is a release sample that sounds unnatural (I know, I can just release the note earlier, but it's still a bug!)
    4. The bow-change effect described on page 30 of the manual could be smoother at lower dynamic levels. I've heard good violinists make the change nearly imperceptable at piano and below.

Now lest I forget to mention it... THE STRAD SOUNDS FANTASTIC!!

I'm loving playing with it. I've been doodling non-stop for over 6 hours now.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Cool Re: No sustain!

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I suspected after I posted this, and it was confirmed by Giorgio that I misunderstood the nature of these samples. It does make sense that they aren't looped, being that a bow has a finite length. This being the case, there are still several issues regarding long held notes:

1. The manual could be clearer in explaining that the samples are not looped (unless I missed that section). The first example "Getting Started" on page 25 talks about holding a note and gradually changing controller values to hear changes. This would be a good place to mention that if you're too gradual, the note will end before you are done.
    2. The bow noise continues for a second or two after the note ends. (bug)
    3. If the key is held longer than the entire length of the sample, releasing the key produces what I assume is a release sample that sounds unnatural (I know, I can just release the note earlier, but it's still a bug!)
    4. The bow-change effect described on page 30 of the manual could be smoother at lower dynamic levels. I've heard good violinists make the change nearly imperceptable at piano and below.

Now lest I forget to mention it... THE STRAD SOUNDS FANTASTIC!!

I'm loving playing with it. I've been doodling non-stop for over 6 hours now.
    Yes I agree, I suppose that it has a technical reason, but hope it should be fixed soon anyway.

I agree also on the last statement: YES IT SOUNDS FANTASTIC!

Go Back to forum