• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is There A Place For Us Newbies?

Share/Bookmark

Question Is There A Place For Us Newbies?

Hello To All,

I'm a brand new GPO owner that's still trying to figure out how everything works. I am amazed at the sound quality of GPO and I've already begun composing with it. I've lurked around in the Listening Room (and the other rooms) and have been astounded at some of the works that GPO composers are creating.

I do have a question/suggestion: Is there a place where those of us who are just learning GPO can listen to MP3s of a composition and also be able to download the GPO file so we can see how that composition was arranged in MIDI format? It would be nice if the MP3 could be compared to the MIDI arrangement to see how certain sounds were produced.

I've seen some of this in the "Master Class" tutorials on a limited scale and I'm wondering if there are any plans in the GPO community to do this on a larger scale - say with entire orchestral pieces?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Re: Is There A Place For Us Newbies?

A warm welcome, Kevin!

And not a bad idea there.

In many cases, I think the composers may be willing to provide that if you mention it to them -- and it would certainly be wonderful as a learning aid.

In my case, I work solely out of notation in Finale, so I rather doubt I could practically provide anything useful to you in this regard.

But I think the overwhelming majority of the forum members use approaches more directly oriented toward MIDI.

By all means, ask around -- we have the great good fortune to have many wonderful members in this forum who are very happy to help when they can!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to GPO Land and to this best of all music forums. I would like to second David's suggestions. If there is a particular piece you'd like to study, by all means PM the composer. I'll bet you'll get many who would be glad to share their MIDI files with you.

Also don't forget a lot of the realism you hear is in the proper mixing of the parts. Reverb, panning, a snippet of EQ here or there, and perhaps a little compression, if used carefully can breathe life into a piece.

We all have been where you are now, and it can at first seem a little daunting, but If you have a question about how to do something with GPO, JABB or the Strad, you'll find so many knowledgeable folks here who will be glad to help.

Again, welcome, and by all means enjoy your new world of GPO.

Karl

Thanks for the replies David & Karl!

It's nice to know there are folks who are willing to help out with learning GPO!

I don't have any particular pieces that I'd like to study (yet), but I'm interested in legato melodies, especially in strings. My keyboard has no pitch/mod wheel so I'm drawing the controllers into my arrangements in Cakewalk and I don't feel like I'm able to get the legato sound I'd like. I'm not sure I'm doing everything right.

Also, I'm a brass player (trumpet) and I'm experimenting with the brass in GPO to try to get that brassy punch - maybe sforzando(?) - that I've heard in some GPO arrangements. So far, I haven't accomplished that.

If either of you have any pointers, it would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kevin

Hi Kevin-
    And welcome. I'm pretty much a newbie (in skill level) too. Many of the posts and posters here are way over my head, but you can definitely pick up some great info and insights from them. I kinda wish we had a newbie board, but too much fragmentation can be distracting.
    I think that many of the great sounds produced by GPO (and good orchestration) are the result of the right combinations of instruments. You might not hear it on the first listen, but there might be an instrument doubling a part or playing an octave lower or higher that gives it that right sound. Its hard (for me) to get a violin section alone to sound right, for instance. But if you add an octave with a softer viola or a flute, it begins to get better. Then add other complimenting harmony parts and then it sounds great.
    The woodwinds, it has been noted, may be the easiest for beginners to get good sounds out of; with brass and strings slightly more difficult. You may want to play with some of them first.
    Good luck and hang in there.
    Tom C.

Talking Re: Is There A Place For Us Newbies?

Thanks Tom!

I'm working with GPO every chance I get. Trying to learn what instrument combinations sound like.

Don't know how you compose, but I hear melodies in my head. The hard part (up until GPO!) has been getting them out of my head and into my sequencer where I can hear them with my ears instead of my mind.

Right now I'm working on a piece that's been floating around in my head for about 25 years! And up until GPO, I just couldn't get the instrumentation right. So I can honestly say GPO has provided me a way to fulfill a 25 yr old dream!

Thank you Gary Garritan!

hi there. Welcome eh ... dang it, that's my vocabulary. welcome
    Ke Yang (OMG I'm using mah name)
    Insert Useless Advertisement Here

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

Go Back to forum