• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Echo Layla3G - problems

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Echo Layla3G - problems

I just got my new sound card today and naturally, I installed right away. I took all precautions written in the Layla3G-manual when installing the software, so the driver-installation should be ok…

The first thing that went wrong was that the soundcard did not recognise the s/pdif signal that I run from my roland synth to the sound card. This has worked well up until now with my old sound card, and Audiophile 24/96, but with the Layla3G, even though I selected the s/pdif as the the "input clock" as described in the manual, it seems like there is no sound coming into the soundcards s/pdif-input... There is no sound, and there is no sign of sound either when checking out the mixer-console...

As if that was not enough, there are occasional clicks and pops, even when there is no signal running through the soundcard... This happens both when I have set the inputclock to s/pdif and to internal...

Finally the last problem; all my sample-plugins (gold, miro, gpo etc.) plays back at wrong speed, so the samples sounds horrible. I've tried to switch from s/pdif to internal input clock but its the same problem with the samples, even though when I changed the samplerate. At 44kHz the samples sounded way below their original pitch, and at 96 kHz they were way above, kinda like the "Mickey mouse-effect"... I wasn't able to find any solutions to that either...

Hope anyone can help me out. I've never had this problem with Audiophile. I just hope I haven't thrown away my money with this purchase...

BTW, my sequencer is Sonar 4, if that could help anyone solve this, but the problems with the orchestral plugins I have happens even when I use them alone, without running Sonar I mean...

I should also mention that I've installed the latest drivers...

Chris
    Last edited by Shantar; 02-01-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Re: Echo Layla3G - problems

Did you uninstall the 2496 drvers before installing the 3G? I'm wondering if M-Audio messes with some file that Echo expects will be unchanged.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Did you uninstall the 2496 drvers before installing the 3G? I'm wondering if M-Audio messes with some file that Echo expects will be unchanged.

-JF
    Well, I tried to uninstall the m-audio drivers with the windows uninsall-tool, but it didn't work... So I had to delete it, delete the folder in which it was installed... I guess this is not a good way to uninstall a software, but there was no other way to do it...

Maybe this is the problem...?

Anyway, thank you very much for the tip! I will check it out!

Chris, I don't know about the timing problems, but I also had a problem with clicks and pops with the Layla 3G and Sonar 4. My computer came with a Soundblaster Live card. The clicks and pops did not go away when I removed the Soundblaster and its driver. However, they did go away when I moved the Layla card to the PCI slot the soundblaster had been in. After some research I found that the better PCI slot had less IRQ sharing going on than the slot I had been trying to use. From reading other threads here and at the Cakewalk site, its apparent that there can be many different causes of clicks and pops, but you might try this.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bircher
    Chris, I don't know about the timing problems, but I also had a problem with clicks and pops with the Layla 3G and Sonar 4. My computer came with a Soundblaster Live card. The clicks and pops did not go away when I removed the Soundblaster and its driver. However, they did go away when I moved the Layla card to the PCI slot the soundblaster had been in. After some research I found that the better PCI slot had less IRQ sharing going on than the slot I had been trying to use. From reading other threads here and at the Cakewalk site, its apparent that there can be many different causes of clicks and pops, but you might try this.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

Actually, the first thing I did was to remove the Audiophile-card and replaced it with the Echo PCI-card. I put it in the same slot as the Audiophile had been using. I never ment to have two soundcards in my computer anyway... I even tried putting the Echo-PCI in a different PCI-slot, but there were no improvement to the sound...

Now I have unistalled and reinstalled the software 3 or 4 times I think... Still nothing...

I probably should mention that the pops and clicks are only a small (though not at all exceptable) problem compared to the "real bug", which is that all audio I play back, even MP3's and wave-files are playing at wrong speed...

I'm so frustrated, I have no clue what to do... It does not help setting the sample-rate up or down... The audio I play is still sounding awefull.. And on top of that, there is a large amount of noise when I play back the mp3's and wavefiles...

It's like someone cursed this particular peice of gear to get me frustrated!!!!

Anyways, I appreciate you trying to help me... I just hope I will figure out a way to fix this by the end of this week. If not, I'm afraid I'll have to return the sound card to the store where I bought it...

Chris

At this point the best remedy is probably to re-install Windows.

-JF

What version of the driver do you have? If an old one, then try the new driver
    from echoaudio.http://www.echoaudio.com/downloadfil...ndows_6.13.exe

This is version 6.13 which is rock solid on my daw, though earlier version which came with the cd was not so good IMO.

Hope this helps
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    At this point the best remedy is probably to re-install Windows.

-JF
    You know, I actually thought of doing that, though only as a last sollution, but it doesn't seem to get anywhere with anything I've tried so far... Re-installing windows it is then!

Well, I guess I've got some hours ahead of me re-installing quite a bit of software...

As for now, I'm just going to relax with a glass of wine, before I worry myself to death!

Thank you all for giving me such quick response! I'll tell you what I've found out when I've reinstalled windows and given my PC a fresh start!

Ciao

/Chris

Best of luck!

-JF

Well, I hate to say this, but the Layla3G-unit I got was obviosly a piece of junk...

I formatted the harddrive, re-installed Windows XP, but still it plays back the music at wrong speed. And it does not react to the s/pdif signal from my synth...

I'm sending the unit back tomorrow...

On top of all this, I must have done something wrong when formatting the harddrive. My second harddrive, in which I have many gigabytes of samples and audio-recordings, cannot be opened now. When I try to open the harddrive, I only get a message that I have to format it before I can use it... All my songs are gone now, and I'm two inches from throwing my computer out the window...

Go Back to forum