• Register
  • Help

Topic: problem with playback

Share/Bookmark
    Power Profile User

problem with playback

I've posted this question on the Finale forum and there are a few of us that have this problem. I've also raised the question to the tech support at Finale, but that seems to be a dead end. The problem is only with 2006C, and it happened from the very first note played back. Even the scrolling cursor seems to be out of sync.
    There is a hesitation and "pop" at the beginning of the playback and at the end of the piece it scrolls the last bar again, sometimes all of the bar and sometimes only part of the bar. There are time that it doesn't do it but most of the time it does hesitate and "pop" (for want of a better word). It is really annoying. I'm sorry to take up space at this forum but I don't know where else to go. I thought maybe some of you, who use Finale might have had this esperience. Thanks
    Last edited by Bob De Celle; 02-01-2006 at 09:41 AM. Reason: addition

Re: problem with playback

My brother had this problem and he found that by adding an extra measure at the beginning and again at the end that the pops went away (especially if you are using human playback). It seems that the samples need a bit of time to load up as the piece starts and clear at the end. Of course, when printing the score you would want to take these extra measures out.

As for the delay in the cursor, that sounds like a latency problem. On you using a soundcard that is on the motherboard or do you have an ASIO soundcard? On board sound cards most often have latency problems.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Power Profile User

RichR

Yes, I discovered that work around by adding the measures, and of course one has to take into consideration the printing. At least you gave me an explanation as to why it might happen, and that makes sense to me. However, I hate work arounds and don't see why this couldn't be fixed. I don't know if it's in the category of a bug, but it is very annoying.
    I have an ASIO (M-Audio 1010LT) card and have no problems with latency.
    I wish I could make it go away without resorting to that adding a measure fix.
    Thanks you for your input.

Hi, Bob. Rich's answer seems to be the best solution, at present -- a padding measure at beginning and end.

I, too, run into this. I did on my rather old and gimpy box; and had thought at the time it was slow hardware. But the problem persists on a brand new, very hot, dual-core, 4G/RAM, RAID-performance box... so it wasn't that.

I've tinkered with latency, and fiddled with every setting under the sun, and have not been able to surmount this one -- so I suspect, for the timebeing, it's just one of those quirks of Finale that one must get along with.

To give the folks at Finale their due, though -- and I've been using their software since around 1997 -- they *do* eventually fix things... though it often takes a while, they get it right.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Power Profile User

I'm not really thrilled with the answer to the problem, but I am happy that I'm not alone (misery likes company), and you are correct---Finale is very helpful, and I believe the techs would agree with us that they (Finale) is slow. Now I'm convinced that it's a bug. Thanks, I guess I'll just have to put up with that work around.
    B.D.
    Last edited by Bob De Celle; 02-02-2006 at 09:33 AM. Reason: wrong word

Quote Originally Posted by Bob De Celle
    I'm not really thrilled with the answer to the problem, but I am happy that I'm not alone (misery likes company), and you are correct---Finale is very helpful, and I believe the techs would agree with us that they (Finale) is slow. Now I'm convinced that it's a bug. Thanks, I guess I'll just have to put up with that work around.
    B.D.
    I'll chime in here and say that no, it may be something other than a "bug".

The reason I say this is that since I've been using Finale2006 and GPO I've never come across the problem you describe, and I know a number of people using Fin'06+GPO who also have not had this sort of trouble.
    And I can assure you that it is not because I'm writing small scores. I just finished a score for full symphony where I gave independant channels to each of 8 woodwind parts, to 7 french horn parts (3 additional horns for the aggressive overlay parts), 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, 8 to 10 percussion staves/channels, plus KS sectional strings on 5 channels (and on 6 channels in one movement). I think that this would warrant being considered a large orchestral score. I have yet to hear the problem you describe. I have no additional measures at either beginning nor end.

I don't think my machine is particularly a fast one - P4, 3ghz, 2 gig of ram.

I'm not terribly knowledgable in computers but could this be some sort of either driver problem or sound-card problem you are experiencing?

Hmmm... interesting -- I was under the mistaken impression that this was commonplace.

Though I consider it a minor and liveable nuisance, I sure would like to know how to get rid of it... lol.

D.

Power Profile User

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I'll chime in here and say that no, it may be something other than a "bug".

The reason I say this is that since I've been using Finale2006 and GPO I've never come across the problem you describe, and I know a number of people using Fin'06+GPO who also have not had this sort of trouble.
    And I can assure you that it is not because I'm writing small scores. I just finished a score for full symphony where I gave independant channels to each of 8 woodwind parts, to 7 french horn parts (3 additional horns for the aggressive overlay parts), 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, 8 to 10 percussion staves/channels, plus KS sectional strings on 5 channels (and on 6 channels in one movement). I think that this would warrant being considered a large orchestral score. I have yet to hear the problem you describe. I have no additional measures at either beginning nor end.

I don't think my machine is particularly a fast one - P4, 3ghz, 2 gig of ram.

I'm not terribly knowledgable in computers but could this be some sort of either driver problem or sound-card problem you are experiencing?
    You may be correct that it isn't a "bug", but it is, never the less, a problem for many of us. Whether or not it's the sound card or a driver---who knows? If someone could tell me specifically what it is, maybe I could fix it. I do know that I'm not alone, and sure would like to have it corrected.

Go Back to forum